mac os on pc

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by rick1409, May 2, 2007.

1. rick1409

rick1409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi,
    This might be a stupid question but is there anyway to try out a Mac os on a pc??
    I know there are ways to dual boot xp on a mac. im thinking of a buying a macbook but just wanted to try out the software etc before comitting.

Thanks
    Rick

2. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    When the first beta versions of Mac OSX were released for Intel then some folks did manage to hack it and get it to run on PC's ... Somewhere I've got a quicktime movie of it running on a tosh !!) ... I think Apple then removed the code from the public releases ... best do a search on the web to get the latest position ...

You don't have to dual boot on a mac either ... running parallels allows you to have OSX and XP/Vista running concurrently and can switch between to two OS' at the press of a button !!

What is it that you are interested/concerned about in particular ? You can find macs in most dixons/PCWorlds/John Lewis/etc to have a play on ...

Jon

3. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I was a PC user for the last 15 years or so and got a Mac in January. Do i regret it? Hell no! Trust me, the software is so much better on a Mac. It was only after sitting down with a Mac and learning to overcome the differences, you can truly appreciate how much better they are. Buy one!

4. rick1409

rick1409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Hi
    Thanks for the reply's!!!
    ive just been looking at the mac mini's aswell, as there not that expensive i might go down that route at first just to get a good look at the os.
    do you think it would be worth waiting a few months for the new os to be released or do they have the same probs with compatability and bugs etc as ive had with vista?

And jont, your right the best thing would be to get down the shops and have a good play about with a mac, i'll have to join the missus for a bit of retail therapy (wish me luck!!!!)

Thanks again
    Rick

5. norealplan

norealplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +733
    The new Mac OS is Leopard and has now been delayed until October 2007.

There's always going to be something new on the horizon. I'm glad I took the plunge when I did.

6. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    You'll find nowhere near the number of problems with a new Mac OS as with XP/Vista ... even if you buy a mac mini now then the upgrade to leoprd in October is likely to be £79 or £99 - again nowhere near the cost of a vista upgrade !!

Only decision is do you want to wait for a newer, faster mac - or do you want it NOW !! ... so I think craigy_boy's comment is apt ...

As Nike say ... just do it !!

Jon

7. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I agree. Your best bet is to play with the OS at an Apple store. Its a great OS and takes minutes literally to get your head around.

Here is a useful guide to some of the components and software for the mac

http://flernk.blogspot.com/2006/07/guide-to-os-x-software-for-switchers.html

After playing with Vista for just over a year (work, Beta 1, 2, RC1, RC2, and the retail version), it still feels like its still a beta. XP for me is just too vulnerable. I would prefer a mac any day of the week and on a month of sundays. Tonight I got rid of Vista off my MBP and reclaimed 32Gb (Bootcamp 1.2 allows you to reclaim the Windows partition)

8. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    When I first got an interest in Macs, I tried to use a Mac lookalike prog on XP then bought a cheap iMac off fleabay ( all in one unit, looks like a colourful tv) running Panther. It was a 400mhz lime coloured Mac. I liked it so much, I bought a new Mac Mini when they came out and havent looked back since.
    My old iMac cost less than £60, then I sold it for the same on here.
    My new 20" screen Intel iMac is superb. It runs Tiger and dual boots into XP when I need specific Windows programs.
    To be honest, I only run XP now to keep the antivirus up to date!!!

Allan

9. boxygreg1982

boxygreg1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hey rick1409. if u want to buy a mac i'd say go for it. been using a windows pc for the past 5yrs and a mac for the past 4months. like everybody else, go for a mac. like everybody's saying, its better n faster n just nicer to look at. one problem tho, u r gonna miss most of the progs u used on windows but with bootcamp n parallels, thats a problem sorted. personally, i'd say a mac but the rest is yo choice. gud luck :thumbsup:

greg

10. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Oh dear. Another one-sided Mac/Windows thread.

Just to even things up: I think Macs are grossly overpriced incompatible rubbish in shiny cases. Buy one and you're on a slippery path of pay OS "upgrades" every 2 years, and no little or support from the manufacturer once the machine is more than a couple of years old.

I can't see a single valid reason for buying a Mac, unless you like the shiny case. There is nothing a Mac can do that a PC can't do more cheaply, and with much greater all-round compatibility and flexibility.

11. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
    xxxx ... you are entitled to your opinion but as you are in a mac sub-forum you should expect us to be commenting favourably (or not) on all things apple related ... and from most of teh posts contained within here there are a number of current and ex-windows users that are expressing their own opinion and satisfaction with Apple's computers and OS for the benefit of others who want to know ...

Your comments are probably more appropriate in a windows forum where you can justify to yourselves reasons not to become interested in macs ...

Jon

12. boxygreg1982

boxygreg1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    by the way, i do agree with xxxx. macs ARE grossly overpriced. if u r into getting a mac be prepared to sell yo house, car n probably 1 or 2 kids to get the most from a mac. m glad i still have a windows pc coz when i make music i use the macbook coz i jus take it wherever i go but recording with the hardware i have m still gettin headaches with the macbook so i use windows. macs have a nice operating system but at the price apple charges, be warned n be prepared. so it depends with wat u want to really use it for. windows still does the same job but seems a tiny bit slow depending on software u use but at a much much cheaper price.

m not that much of a windows or mac lover, i jus got a mac for the music whilst windows does other jobs the mac cannot do.

13. rick1409

rick1409

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Thanks again for all your replies.
    I did'nt mean to start a debate on whats best-mac or pc though!!!!
    I think im going to go ahead and get a mac mini to keep the cost down a bit, and keep my vista aswell, best of both worlds i reckon:thumbsup:

Thanks
    Rick

14. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Oops, another bandwagon snipe at Macs. I suppose that is the same way of thinking that goes behind why somebody would rather buy a car like a Lada than a Rolls Royce. Theres nowhere a Rolls Royce can go that a Lada cant, more cheaply. Very true, but some people dont like cheap!

When Apple update their operating systems, its a one size fits all program, not like Windows latest 5 versions of Vista ( not including the upgrades!), none of which apparently work very well without massive upgrading of your lowly PC, then lots of software wont work ( just like when XP came out)

But of course there is one area that Windows wins hands down over Mac. Virus/spyware aquisition. Also, I cant think of anything a PC can do that a Mac cant, better!

Me? I`ll pay a bit more and keep buying Macs. They look better, work better and resale values are high. Same with cars and most other things really. Its just a matter of choice and taste. :devil:

Allan

15. williemaykit

williemaykit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    :boring: Windows fan boy diggs at Macs is wearing thin. There is nothing that can be said that hasn't been said before. Everyone has the right to choose the products that meets their needs or tastes. For what its worth, when you spec up any Tier 1 manufacturer to the same specification as a MB or MBP for example, you will find, as others have in the past, that the Mac is a value for money machine.

Vista? Well that was different but unlike Microsoft's ad campaign, it certainly didn't WOW me and we know what Vista stands for

[​IMG]

At the end of the day, its just a machine. It does what I need it to do. End of story.

16. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I bought XP 6 years ago. I'm still using it. It is still being updated regularly, for free, and will continue to be for anything up to 9 more years. Compare this with the 2 years you get from a Mac OS before you are expected to buy a completely new version.

I also think that Vista is overpriced rubbish, mostly because in many respects it is similar to OSX: all gloss and no trousers.

The difference is that XP is still available to buy, still being supported, will get free updates for many more years and will run any (Windows) software or hardware you can buy. And it will continue to do so.

Pff. Install a free antivirus/anti-spyware and this is not an issue.

The only reason that there aren't many (and I do mean "many" not "any") security issues with OSX is because the OS isn't in wide enough use to make hacking it worthwhile.

17. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Like most such places, this seems more of a Mac ghetto than a Mac forum.

And I was commenting on Apple-related products. I just don't happen to be favourable about them, that's all.

18. breadbun

breadbun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Re: gross overpricing. This is what people can choose to believe if they wish... and in some ways it can appear that way. However, compare a £399 cheap Dell laptop to a £700 Macbook laptop and yes, the Mac may be £300 more, but it gives much much more than £300 added value.

19. bibamus

bibamus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Thats a bit misleading! You dont have to upgrade your operating system, some people are running various versions of Mac quite happily, and upgrading when the need arises, just the same as Windows users. Is there still support for 95,98, ME and XP with SP1?:rolleyes:

I still use XP too. I bought XP Home the day it was released, then had to buy Pro because I needed the extra features. So, I bought the same OS twice.

It still works fine, but 2 years ago I discovered Mac`s and gradually ( at first) I started using the Mac more, then as soon as I was comfortable with it, I used it as my main computer, running a business as well as for home use.
    There are only a couple of programs that I cant run on the Mac, because those companies dont make a Mac version. One is for my Garmin GPS / Sat Nav, the other is DVD decrypter.

So, I prefer Mac. Compared to my Windows PC, I love how my iMac is put together and the materials used, I think OSX looks better and performs better, it runs quieter and spends more time doing what I want it to do.

Others may prefer Windows ( or Linux) but why do they have to critisize Macs all the time? Who are they trying to convince about what is best ( or worse)?

Not me! Seems like the grapes are still sour over in Windows land.

And gross overpricing? Well, for some people, cost isnt the only thing to consider. Remember that old Rag trade saying, " never mind the quality, feel the width" ( God, I am old!

Allan

20. Doix

Doix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have only used PC/Windows and has a few desktops/notebooks with Windows XP that I accquire over time .

I have heard many good things about OSX recently and have just ordered a macbook to see for myself if OSX is that good. The main reason I can do that now is because it has a intel chip which means if I am unhappy with Mac OSX, I can always get a cheap oem windows XP from ebuyer and replace the OS. I don't like Vista mainly due to MS deciding to incoporate DRM in Vista and will try to resist it until XP is phased out.

BootCamp/Parallels means that I do not have to re-purchase my software that I use everyday.

I am hoping that OSX will help me to solve the problem of having to reformat my computer every 1 or 1 1/2 year (Yes, Windows (98, ME and XP) will become sluggish or more prone to clashes over time which can only be fixed by formating and re-installing Windows OS) which is really time consuming :mad: .

From the reviews I read so far, it seems that OSX is very fast and stable and if I find Mac OSX better, I will slowly move to apple OSX (maybe will get a Mac Pro next)

21. Monopot

Monopot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    Yeah work out an equivlent spec Dell and Mac and see what the difference is. It ain't much!

Oh and some people seem to refer to pay upgrades every 2 years where you don't on Windows as they count XP Service Packs as system upgrades. This was in PC Mag a few months ago! Gotta love it.

Happy on my Mac while all my other colleagues merrily reboot there XP laptops 2-3 times a day.

22. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Who said you are expected to upgrade? You're not. Older versions work/run fine. This is in contrast to older versions of Windows. Many people on here will extoll the virtues of upgrading becuase, by their very nature, they are early adopters and are excited about new releases, and want to get it as soon as it becomes available. This does not mean that they have to.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by all gloss and no trousers. OS X is built on Unix - are you saying that the Unix OS is 'gloss'. Open a Terminal window in OSX and show me the gloss.

Yep. Is this different to older Mac OS versions? Genuine question, as I only switched to a Mac about 8 months ago (having used a Windows box for 15), so do not have any experience of older versions. I would suspect that they are supported to a degree, and probably a larger/better degree than older versions of Windows

Mmm. It is pretty much an issue - there is always something that you need to be wary of. The average user with antivirus etc cannot stop themselves being infected by the latest vulnerability which is yet to be patched.

Probably true, but that's good isn't it?

23. MrSossidge

MrSossidge
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,545
    Thats done it for me. That was just the excuse i needed to switch over to a PC. I'm gonna ditch the version of OSX i've got (which is now over 3 years old and still receives free system updates) because it's just not worthwhile anyone out their trying to hack into it.:rotfl:

Best cancel that order for the 20" iMac whilst I'm at it...

24. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    xxxx; You appear ignorant and prejudiced, although you may just be trolling. So don't be surprised when your opinions are not valued.

25. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I presume you're familiar with GPSy X, MactheRipper, and Handbrake.

26. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Because I don't agree with you and the other ghetto inhabitants? Do wake up.

I should worry. My OS still works fine, supports any software or hardware I care to buy, is still supported for free and will be for many more years.

I would only worry if I were using Apple products.

27. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What feature did you need? No home user (and 95% of business users) needs anything that XP Home doesn't have.
    Besides which, if you needed a special feature than maybe you should have researched your purchase before committing yourself.

You're lucky and/or very limited in what you need. Virtually none of the dozens of programmes I use work on Mac or have a Mac equivalent.

Dream on. It's the same cheap Chinese/Eastern European stuff that you will find in any PC. It just has a glossier case.

Yes, but who cares? I certainly don't. I pay for performance, not looks.

Well, no. It's as simple as that. Macs are gloss and no power. In this respect they are ery similar to Vista and most other modern consumer technology. Far too much money is spent on the looks compared to the functionality. At least with an XP machine you can chose your own parts, knowing that they will work with your OS.

You are missing the point. This forum is a ghetto, as I said earlier. All Mac users are right and all everyone else is wrong.

But in the real world Mac users are the odd ones out, by a factor of 19 to 1.

28. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not at all; ignorant because you don't display knowledge of the subject, and prejudiced because you then express strong opinions.

29. xxxx

xxxx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Your figures are a little out. I buy 3Ghz Dell PCs with 1Gb of RAM, 320GB hard drive and a 19in screen for £400 delivered. Compare that with any Mac and you will see that Macs are very poor value for money.

For £50 more I can get the same spec with a Dual-Core Intel processor (complete with 19in screen, keyboard, mouse) that will do anything that a £700 Mac can do, and more. And above all it will be compatible with all file types, and alll software and hardware.

30. ancientgeek

ancientgeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    True, we are the top 5%.