Mac noob needs gift advice.

UnGreat

First of I am a complete dunce when it comes to Mac so please forgive my simple PC brain. :rolleyes:

My brother has started a media design course at College and is using mostly Macs. As a surprise Christmas present I was considering buying him a Mac based system so he could easily do work at home. My budget isn't massive (£500ish) but i'm hoping I can get discounts.

Are there ways of getting a good Mac for cheap such as discount codes or good refurbished models?

Are the refurbished models of good quality, do they have scratches and marks?

I'm being a little vague on the specific Mac I would like but thats mainly because I don't know Macs. :rolleyes: I think he would probably like a notebook style like a Macbook but looking at the Apple store they seem a little expensive. I also looked at Mac-Mini but the add-ons (screen, keyboard) would take it up to Macbook cost making it pointless.

Any help or advice to a noob would be appreciated.

If this was a PC I could think of thirty ways of getting a good setup for next to no cost but with Apple i'm lost. :confused:

jont

If you can share the 'surprise' your brother will be able to get a Higher Education discount (around 15-20% I think) if he orders it himself - this will certainly make your money go further !!

To add to that there are sometimes refurb models in the educational store which will be even cheaper - Apple refurb products are usually of the highest quality, often new or unsold, they just come in plain packaging ...

Take a look at the details here: http://www.apple.com/uk/education/shop/ and look at the HE National Contract Store details ... IIRC the actual store can only be accessed through a computer within the UK-academical network ...

Hope that helps a bit

Jon

alanrob

Get a Mac Mini, keyboard, mouse and a cheapish TFT monitor and you'll have a great system. Might just push your £500 budget, but then again you can get any USB keyboard/mouse combo instead of paying over £50 for the Apple ones :)

UnGreat

Get a Mac Mini, keyboard, mouse and a cheapish TFT monitor and you'll have a great system. Might just push your £500 budget, but then again you can get any USB keyboard/mouse combo instead of paying over £50 for the Apple ones :)

Mac Mini was an Idea but with add-ons I'd have to buy I may as well just pay the extra and get a Macbook. The only way I could get a Mac Mini would be if I got a new TV (with 1:1) and gave my 19" Acer monitor to my brother.

My cousin is currently at Uni and says he can get an education discount which would take the Macbook to around £600 (still a little high). Can you use quidco with an education discount?

jont

Not sure but you can get quadruple nectar points if you a) go through nectar to the education store and b)pay on a sainsburys credit card if that helps ...

Did get an email from them yesterday saying they have refurb products in the education store so possibly even cheaper ...

Jon

Jon

amardilo

Distinguished Member
You could sign up to http://www.quidco.com and you can see if you can get a educational discount and you could also look at getting a refurb from Apple's refurb store (although not sure if refurbs are included in the educational discount).

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom