mac mini's, how are you suppose to work them when they come with nothing!

p1tse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
just checked the website and in the box is the mac mini and cable really, no remote, no keyboard, no mouse, how on earth is one suppose to control it

seems strange not to be boxed with some basic essentials

looking into them, but entry level is expensive as it is plus accessories seems excessive in cost

looking into them, but entry level is expensive as it is plus accessories seems excessive in cost
You don't have to use apple accessories, any USB mouse/keyboard combo will work. It's pretty common knowledge that the mini's don't come with any of that stuff.

Yep, the Mac Mini is designed for people who want a Mac but already have a monitor/keyboard/mouse etc and don't want the expense of an Imac :)

just checked the website and in the box is the mac mini and cable really, no remote, no keyboard, no mouse, how on earth is one suppose to control it

seems strange not to be boxed with some basic essentials

A short history lesson :lesson:

The Mac mini (sic) was introduced in January 2005 with the acronym BYODKM. It was designed as a lower cost way to get non-Mac owners interested in buying into OS X.

BYODKM meant "bring your own display, keyboard and mouse" i.e. it was intended to reduce the costs of moving to a Mac by allowing users to re-use their PC peripherals. The alternative was an iMac which cost substantially more. However, even when the mini was introduced at $499 (I think) speccing it up with Apple peripherals as included in the iMac meant the cost was almost as great. These days adding an Apple Magic Mouse/Trackpad and keyboard would add around £140 and that's without a display.

I looked at it then and decided the iMac was the better purchase and complementary to my iBook. I did buy mini's for the family but didn't own one until last week and I can say I'm delighted by its performance with a RAM upgrade.

HTH :smashin:

However, even when the mini was introduced at $499 (I think) speccing it up with Apple peripherals as included in the iMac meant the cost was almost as great.

yep, it's launch price was US$499 in the United States and £339 (plus VAT) in the UK

Mine is a Media Server for Plex and lives under the TV. Was chuffed that didn't have to buy a Display, Keyboard and Mouse from Apple as the plan was always to use the 40" LED in the Lounge with my iPhone/iPad as Remote, Keybaord and Mouse by using the Rowmote Pro App. Saved me paying for kit I didn't want too!!!

the mac mini is pricey but it offers a great deal of flexibility, which is why so many people use and like them (including myself)

Would the entry level be capable of streaming videos online?

You don't need any of that to be honest. I have got two and never had a keyboard monitor nor mouse attached to them.

They are brilliant to run headless, just do a remote setup graphical or text based ehatever you prefer and off you go. Unix is great like that My two live in my 19" rack.

p1tse said:
Would the entry level be capable of streaming videos online?

Why wouldn't it? Surely a gigabit network card is enough ;) the question is, is the rest of your network up to it and your storage.

Im not techie enough to understand requirements for doing stuff

Looking at acer review 3700 but not sure it would cope with streaming

On 'streaming' - my 2009 (HTPC) Mac Mini 2.26Ghz has no problem in 'streaming' BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, 4oD, Demand 5, SkyGo, or SeeSaw, for example.

It has no problem in streaming internet radio stations or audio/video podcasts via iTunes. What is more, downloaded movie rentals from iTunes is a doodle too - as is streaming achieved movies and music from my ReadyNAS. It all easily connects to my plasma panel and AVR.

As for control, sometimes I use a Logitech DiNovo Mini or Apple Magic TrackPad, or Harmony remote - and I plan on buying an iPod Touch to replace the lot (for HTPC and audio usage).

When I got my mini I used it with a very cheap no-name USB keyboard and a Logitech USB mouse from the pc it's replacing. Since then I've bought an apple wired keyboard as the dedicated keys and 2 port hub are worth having but don't feel any need to go for an apple mouse/pad (got the keyboard for £30 in PC World but think the price has gone up since then). It can add a lot to the cost if you buy the wireless apple accessories, a keyboard and touchpad or mouse would add over £100 to the cost but if you don't want to pay that you don't have to, they work fine with other USB devices and you can get wired versions for less.

Not yet convinced the laptop style keys are as good as a regular keyboard though strangely I find the keys on my macbook fine to type on - possibly I just need to get used to the wired keyboard at my desk after using a standard Microsoft one for so long.

And I got a LCD TV/monitor (with PIP) for my first G4 MacMini. The missus won't stand more than one screens in the dining room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom