Mac Mini???

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by VAMOS DAN, Sep 18, 2007.

1. VAMOS DAN

VAMOS DAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    A friend of mine has his PC connected to his HD tv and can stream tv/tv shows directly from his pc/bit torrent

Now, my PC is downstairs and my HD tv is upstairs and im looking for a similar set up to how he is running, therefor would a mac mini be a good option as i could just keep it next to my tv

What is the wifi like on these as my router is on the floor below

Is the superdrive a huge benefit to have also?

Where has the best deals for mac mini's?

Many Thanks

2. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,766
  3. teejay38

teejay38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I have a mini as a media centre next to my HDTV and it is networked to my iMac in another room which uses a Miglia TV stick to download terrestrial free broadcasts. But those two computers are connected by ethernet cable. I tried wireless communication, and it worked brilliantly with audio, but the bandwidth is not enough to allow continuous streaming of video. Introducing a Windows pc into the mix , if that is what you have, would be a recipe for disaster.
    However, your problem is really the separation between the transmitting device and the receiving device - Windows or Mac. Over to someone with knowledge of wireless streaming devices......

ps - running an ethernet cable really is the cheapest solution!:)

4. VAMOS DAN

VAMOS DAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    I have a windows PC running downstairs yes. would this be a problem? if so in what way?

Couldnt i just connect the Mac Mini, via ethernet cable, to the central router downstairs (even though it is a wireless aswell), what would be the problem in doing this???

Thanks

5. VAMOS DAN

VAMOS DAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    also would it be worth the wait to leave purchasing one till next month so it comes with the leopard O/S (Will there be any likely price increase) ?

6. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,766
    i doubt it.

7. teejay38

teejay38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    If you're downloading files directly from the router onto your mini-mac, no problem, but it looked in your original scenario as if you wanted to download files to your pc, then stream them to the mini. Or stream files already downloaded to the pc onto the mac. With the scenario as you have explained it, you probably would even be able to connect wirelessly to the router via Airport on the mini, provided your router signal is strong enough. Not all routers are Mac-friendly, however.

8. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    A wireless router is a wireless router! They don't know what computer is getting the signal so it doesn't matter if it's a PC running Windows, a Mac running OS X or anything running Linux etc...
    Think it only matters when you do the first set up on the router (even then, most get done via web browsers now!)

Sharing content between Mac's and PC's is so easy. I just use SMB shares and both sides can read and write to the other with little or no fuss.
    I have my Mac Mini and a Freecom MediaPlayer connected to my network and both can stream content from my PC or my iMac.

9. teejay38

teejay38

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    That may be the theory, but that's not my experience, or that of others on other fora.

10. contrakid

contrakid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Your best chance of streaming to the mac mini if you can't ethernet to it is to get a dual band wireless A router downstairs and then a wireless A extender in your room upstair.

You get much cleaner signal with wireless A as it is not on same band as Microwaves and cordless phones etc.

But wireless A routers are more money than normal wireles b/g etc.

Even with these it will struggle to stream HD. If you can stick to ethernet or have the files on a small usb drive you can move between the pc and mac mini and install macdrive etc.

Good luck m8