• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mac Mini vs. HD LCD TV - resolution issues

twynne

Established Member
I've recently connected a Mac Mini (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz, latest model) to my Samsung TV (LE52F96BDX). When first connected, the resolution was perfect - 1920x1080 @ 85hz.

A few days later I reorganised the cabinet and swapped from a 1 meter to a 2 meter DVI<>HDMI cable, then noticed the resolution was no longer correct. The Mini seemed to be outputting 1920x1080 but interlaced and NTSC rather than PAL, and the display no longer fills the screen, leaving black bars on all 4 sides.

Swapping back to the previous cable made no difference. I've also tried using DisplayConfigX and SwitchResX and can't get either to work.

Has anyone experienced similar? Know a way to sort it out??

Thanks,

Tom

RobM

Distinguished Member
The only guaranteed way of getting 1:1 pixel mapping is with VGA lead, so it might be worth trying that if you can? DVI-HDMI is a bit pot luck in my experience, as sometimes it just works, other times forget it, you'll forever be battling.

The only thing I can think of trying, is turning Overscan off / on depending on what it's currently set to.

Apologies for not being a particularly constructive reply, but from my experience doing exactly this, VGA makes life a lot easier :)

twynne

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I'll give this a try once I pick up another lead. Do you know if you sacrifice any quality using VGA rather than HDMI?

RobM

Distinguished Member
None at all :)

In fact, if you can get 1:1 pixel mapping with VGA but can't with HDMI, then you'll have a more accurate picture if anything!

twynne

Established Member
Thanks again - not sure if you're in the UK, but would you have any recommendations (brand/retailer) on good quality cables. I'd like a decent quality cable without going over the top really.

Cheers,

Tom

TonyA

Prominent Member
I've got my Mini hooked up to my Panny 42" Plasma, and originally went the HDMI route too, but hit similar problems. I ended up switching to VGA and everything worked brilliantly.

I always tend to buy my AV cables from: http://www.tvcables.co.uk - they have a great range of cables, and are reasonably priced.

RobM

Distinguished Member
Thanks again - not sure if you're in the UK, but would you have any recommendations (brand/retailer) on good quality cables. I'd like a decent quality cable without going over the top really.

Cheers,

Tom

Most VGA cables will do a similar job, so long as you avoid the cheapo ones. With the length you're looking for (2m) a middle of the road jobbie will be fine and you wont see any real improvement by spending a fortune, as there wont be much signal degradation as you may find with longer lengths. Places like PCWorld, Currys etc sell them, as do most electrical retailers and places like John Lewis and even the likes of Richer Sounds. Avoid the no-name crappy brands but equally, don't get bullied into spending a fortune by salesmen and their normal speeches ;)

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
bit of a bump. Hoping secretly things have improved, but maybe not?

just changed my TV and am having some niggles with my mac mini over HDMI.

Was running 1080 (dont' know if i or p, the mac can be odd like that), but that didn't come through my receiver for some reason. So switched to 720p which is fine for browsing from the sofa and plex.

But the screen appears either too large, or too small. There is an 'overscan' setting on the mac and when its selected, the desktop is too large and the edges get cut off. When its deselected, the entire screen is visible, but with a black border around it. Not sure why the TV isn't properly scaling it to full screen.

I can go into the 'screen' settings and change the screen display size to get it to fit, but I'm not sure if that affects everything else or just 720p modes? I'm wary as all my inputs go into HDMI1 on the TV (switched by the receiver). PS3 will send 720p as well and don't want the size of that to be affected.

Surely 720p/60 is a basic, well understood TV resolution, so is it the Mini causing problems? If necessary I can change the connection, but I'd rather not if I can help it.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
But the screen appears either too large, or too small. There is an 'overscan' setting on the mac and when its selected, the desktop is too large and the edges get cut off. When its deselected, the entire screen is visible, but with a black border around it.

i had that but i selected overscan and move the slider to the right till it fit in.

The overscan slider is only present on the new HDMI models I believe? Before that the functionality was simply on/off ISTR.

Tenex

Distinguished Member
I forget the detail but I think its down to the TV firmware rather than the Mac and has to do with what the TV does with the input signal. With newer HDMI-HDMI inputs the Mac has more control over what's displayed.

baldrick

Prominent Member
I have the same issue with an older mini, DVI>HDMI and the image is either to small or too big even though it claims to be outputting 1080P...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom