Mac mini,pioneer sc-lx56, Sony vpl- hw10

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ben diver, Aug 25, 2013.

1. ben diver

ben diver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, got an issue just bought a new av receiver as my onkyo 906 died and cannot get the amp to output sound from the mac whilst outputting to the projector.

It works fine on the other output to the TV and will output sound if I output to both TV and pj however as soon as I turn off the TV or try to watch on pj the hdmi switching happens I get picture no sound.

It's driving me insane the amp is a fantastic piece of kit and works fine with all other inputs just will not play ball with the mac. When it happens I lose the option in system preferences on the mac to output to hdmi.

Everything is hooked up via hdmi so I will maybe try and output sound via optical however anyone else running this setup and not having problems or can think how to get it to work.

Very many thanks in advance,

Ben

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,851
    Is the interface on the PJ HDMI or is it DVI? Have you set the HDMI audio output setting on your receiver to TV? If so then set it to AMP.

If none of these are relevant then it would appear as though you have an HDMI cnflict between the Mac and your PJ? Have you tried power cycling the Mac, PJ and your receiver to try establish an HDMI handshake between them?

I've read of similar issues and it was suggested that placing an HDMI switch or matrix between the receiver's output and the PJ can rectify the problem?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  3. ben diver

ben diver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi Dante,

Interface on the PJ is Hdmi and audio output is set to come out of amp.

I have tried doing all power cycling and turning them all on in different orders etc.

I haven't tried another cable yet but it was fine with the onkyo and it is also sending picture and Audio with both the TV and pj on so pretty sure it isn't that.

May try a splitter switch ,didn't know about that and also found out by reading the instructions that hdmi outlet 1&2 are different in that there is no control with that outlet.( don't know if that makes a difference or not as I have turned them both off)

I have got it working now I think will try later when can put the pj on by connecting up via toslink and optical so all is not lost as the mac doesn't do HD sound formats anyway.

Many thanks for your help and input it has been very much appreciated.

Anyone else running this set-up and had the same problem

Cheers Ben

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,471
    A device which can store EDID between the Mac mini and the AVR may be required - that way the Mac and the AVR are unaware of each other so no conflicts.

We normally stick a Gefen HDMI Detective+ on the Output of the Mac - off to install one tomorrow :)

Joe

5. ben diver

ben diver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi joe,

Many thanks and will have a read up on this.

Cheers ben