• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mac Mini media centre

Jimmer

Heya all,

Couple of qucik questions.

I want to use a mac mini as a media centre but I just need to find out if this is possible.

I want to plug the mac mini into my onkyo via hdmi so dvi > hdmi converter is needed then an optical cable to carry the sound to the amp.

Currently everything I have is plugged in via hdmi that carries the audio which I believe the mini cannot, unless it's the new version?

Any answers appreciated.

J

dc8900

Distinguished Member
yes anything before the mac mini 2010 refresh cannot carry sound

you can use a mini-dvi>hdmi adapter or I personally use a mini-display port to hdmi cable

bpsmith

Distinguished Member
You need the DVI to HDMI cable or the Mini Displayport version, as above, and then the OPtical for the sound. Just remember to pair the two inputs on the Onkyo. Pretty straight forward to do in the Input settings menu on the AVR itself.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom