Mac Mini M1 - connect 3 screens

Moomz

Established Member
Reaction score
I am heavily into the apple ecosystem but have always used a windows desktop PC. My current PC is ageing a bit so have decided to replace it with a Mac mini M1 (which I have just purchased on here). I currently have a triple monitor set up with 3 1080p displays connected. What is the cheapest way of me achieving this with the mac mini as I see it only supports dual display out of the box? Would appreciate any advice.

As far as I know Mac OS still doesn't support DisplayPort's MST feature allowing you to connect multiple displays to a single port. That's what the computing world is moving to (even Chrome OS recently added it) and is going to mean the majority of USB-C docks won't work.

Beyond that then the cheap and good enough option is likely a USB graphics device - the likes of DisplayLink - that operate over the USB signal rather than the DisplayPort one. They do need software though so make sure whatever you buy has explicit ARM/M1 Mac OS support.

As far as I know Mac OS still doesn't support DisplayPort's MST feature allowing you to connect multiple displays to a single port. That's what the computing world is moving to (even Chrome OS recently added it) and is going to mean the majority of USB-C docks won't work.

Beyond that then the cheap and good enough option is likely a USB graphics device - the likes of DisplayLink - that operate over the USB signal rather than the DisplayPort one. They do need software though so make sure whatever you buy has explicit ARM/M1 Mac OS support.
Thanks for the response. I will look into USB graphics devices and see if I can find one that meets my needs.

They're often sold as 'adaptors' or 'converters' between USB and a video connection which isn't that helpful as it means they're mixed in with products that work a different way and won't be compatible.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom