Mac Mini HTPC and 3D............?

gilford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I finally bit the bullet and bought a 3D TV over the weekend :clap:

As a few of you will be aware I use Plex for everything. I was wondering if it's possible to just play 3D stuff like a normal movie and it work fine?

Cheers

It would deppend on the HDMI interfaces being used between the device streaming the content to the HDMI interface on your TV. There shouldn't be any problem in relation to side by side video as used by TV broadcasters, but sequential 3D as used for 3D Blu-ray titles needs HDMI 1.4 in order to be recognised as a viable format by the EDID.

I have tested SBS 3D via both Mac Mini and ATV3 and can confirm that both work perfectly on my new Panny GT50. :)

Watched an SBS 3D version of Avatar last night and it worked fine :):)

@dante01 what is sequential 3D? Is that better than the SBS Sky use on their 3D channel?

Thanks, I'm new to all this!

Which is the better one?

Sequential because it will give you the full resolution of the video in a single frame. Side by side uses the same frame to output two images so is technically of a lesser resolution.

Side by side 3D is an attempt to eliminate the excessive bandwidth demands of sequential 3D. With the side by side method two images are displayed on the screen at the same time instead of in sequential order.

3D TVs must convert the side by side image in order to produce the 3D image. This means that the 3D TV has to cut the two images apart and then stretch them to fill the other half of the screen. The images are then displayed in sequential order. This means that the quality is not as good as it would be in comparison the direct sequential 3D video.

Last edited:
Yup, cheers from me too as only watched SBS so far. Is it worth getting some new BluRay's to see sequential in action? Is it a big difference?

Yup, cheers from me too as only watched SBS so far. Is it worth getting some new BluRay's to see sequential in action? Is it a big difference?

I've no 3D TV to test it with. I can only use the experience of others to answer, but the differences are there if you look. I'd personally not go out of my way though, but then again I'm not very interested in 3D.

If you're already watching 3D Blu-rays then they will already be using sequential 3D as opposed to side by side.

Sequential 3D content is shown in full resolotion, so if the original is 1280*720 pixels - the frames for the left and for the right eye are also 1280*720 pixels of resolution. In side-by-side 3D content there is a loss of horisontal resolution, as frames for the left and for the right eyes are downsized in half - from 1280*720 pixels of each eye recieves the frames of 640*720 pixels of resolution frames.

One disadvantage of sequential 3D content is loss of brightness. Each frame is intended for particular eye - left or right, but not both at the same time. For example, if there are 100 frames - only 50 can be viewed by both eyes at the same time. That means up to 50% loss of brightness. So if you are looking for projector and the main purpose will be sequential 3D content you'll benefit from using a brighter PJ.

Last edited:
I have mainly been watching Sky content and mostly TV rather than Movies. Might grab a 3D BluRay to try out soon.

Whats all this faff regarding HDMI 1.4a then? My HDMI cable is buried in the wall so no chance of changing that :rotfl:

Whats all this faff regarding HDMI 1.4a then? My HDMI cable is buried in the wall so no chance of changing that :rotfl:

The version isn't in reference to the cable. Cables are either standard or high speeed and existing (older) hifg speed cables can quite adequately carry 3D sequential video. The HDMI versions refer to the actual interfaces employed by the devices they reside within. HDMI v1.3 lacks the EDID information needed to recognise the 3D sequential video format as being a legitimate video format. This results in sequential 3D not being able to passthrough or be utilised by HDMI interfaces older than version 1.4.

Last edited:
Hmm, it will be interesting to see what will happen with mine then? I think the QED cable I bought when I buried it when we renovated the house was 1.3. I hardly ever spend big money on cables as I think it is a bit of a con but I spent £150 on that cable to "future proof" myself, guess I got that wrong!

I'll borrow a BD 3D player over the weekend and check back :)

Hmm, it will be interesting to see what will happen with mine then? I think the QED cable I bought when I buried it when we renovated the house was 1.3. I hardly ever spend big money on cables as I think it is a bit of a con but I spent £150 on that cable to "future proof" myself, guess I got that wrong!

I'll borrow a BD 3D player over the weekend and check back :)

Cables have never been made in relation to version. There is no such thing as an HDMI version 1.3 or 1.4 cable. There are high and standard speed cables and if your existing cable can convey 1080p without issue then it is a high speed HDMI cable ;)

More recent categorisation of cables has been clarfied by HDMI org since the introduction of HDMI version 1.4:
HDMI :: Manufacturer :: HDMI 1.4 :: Finding the Right Cable

Version is in reference to interfaces and not cables ;)

When using my atv for 3d the irritating part is that the GUI itself is not 3d. I would imagine it is the same from a normal apple machine. It is that part and the lack of auto switching between the modes that makes me keep using my oppo bluray player oh and the glorious hd audio :)

When using my atv for 3d the irritating part is that the GUI itself is not 3d. I would imagine it is the same from a normal apple machine. It is that part and the lack of auto switching between the modes that makes me keep using my oppo bluray player oh and the glorious hd audio :)

I think that they do this due to health and safety concerns? I think it has to do with fears about menu buttons popping out and hitting people in the eye or face? :confused:

dante01 said:
I think that they do this due to health and safety concerns? I think it has to do with fears about menu buttons popping out and hitting people in the eye or face? :confused:

Lol :) just a simple 3D signal switch to the TV/Projector would be fine to turn it back to 2D.

Not sure what issue with switching you guys have? Can you explain?

If its switching to and from 3D that your talking about, then when I watch Sky 3D or SBS 3D via ATV then my Panny GT50 switches automatically between them with no button pressing.

bpsmith said:
Not sure what issue with switching you guys have? Can you explain?

If its switching to and from 3D that your talking about, then when I watch Sky 3D or SBS 3D via ATV then my Panny GT50 switches automatically between them with no button pressing.

When the movie is finished on your atv does the panny automatically go out of 3D mode back to 2D? My Samsung 59" doesn't do that with the atv but it does with my Oppo.

So yours switches in to 3D but not out?

I think mine does, but will check tomorrow for sure as you have got me questioning myself now.

Agree on the non 3D menu btw. Not nice.

bpsmith said:
So yours switches in to 3D but not out?

I think mine does, but will check tomorrow for sure as you have got me questioning myself now.

Agree on the non 3D menu btw. Not nice.

No it doesn't switch in either. It does on the oppo fully automatic, the tv shows its little box of 3d detected please switch on, and the moment the glasses get enabled everything is cool.

Samsung 46ES7000 and Mac Mini running Plex. The TV automatically switches in and out of 3D when I go between the movie and the GUI.

Cheers. I got to try and connect a mac. Maybe it's signalling is different than the Apple TV.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom