Mac Mini & External Blu Ray Drive

Guy of Gisbourne

I have an external blu ray drive (LG) connected to my Mac Mini. However, a minor annoyance is that every 7 minutes or so the blu ray player pulses and powers up for a couple of seconds.

There is no disc in the drive, so why is this happening?

Secondly, how can I stop it as it is becomes quite tiresome after a while, the only solution so far is to disconnect the power lead!

Thanks in advance,

the colonel

dante01

Distinguished Member
My LG BE12LU38 does the exact same thing. I use the small power switch on the rear of the drive to turn the power off. I've no idea why the drive's blue light flashes without there being a disc inserted, but it does seem to be communicating with my Mac periodically regardless of whether a disc is present or not.

Guy of Gisbourne

My LG BE12LU38 does the exact same thing. I use the small power switch on the rear of the drive to turn the power off. I've no idea why the drive's blue light flashes without there being a disc inserted, but it does seem to be communicating with my Mac periodically regardless of whether a disc is present or not.

That is the same model as mine! Damn, I never checked the back to see if there was an 'on/off' switch :facepalm:

Never noticed the 'esata' port either, not that it is any use with the mac though.

So is it the Mac sending a signal to the drive or vice versa? I never noticed it powering up when connected to my windows laptop.

I gotta know the reason why ;)

Guy of Gisbourne

Perhaps it is spotlight trying to index it ;)

But why is it trying to index it? You have only told half the tale ;)

This case is not solved yet!

Why can't it index it or rather keeps trying and how do I stop it?

I want to learn Dejongj...

I am not the typical Apple customer 'Itunes only' and the 'job is a good one', I need to know more!

This thread will run for weeks! :p

Adam K

if it is spotlight searching it then why don't you just go into the system preferences > spotlight > privacy, and exclude it from the search?

dante01

Distinguished Member
if it is spotlight searching it then why don't you just go into the system preferences > spotlight > privacy, and exclude it from the search?

Because the actual drive itself doesn't show up in the finder for you to be able to drag it to the Spotlight privacy panel. Discs inserted into the drive can be added, but not the drive itself.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Also, Spotlight will begin indexing any volume as soon as it is mounted, with certain exceptions: CDs, DVDs, disk images, and shared network volumes are not indexed when mounted. Volume is defined as either a hard drive with a single partition, or a specific partition on a hard drive with multiple partitions. The BE12LU38 shouldn't technically be eligible for indexing either in its own right or by way of discs inserted into it.

D

Deleted member 27989

Well there goes my theory then ;)

Perhaps open the Console app and look at all message and see if there is a particular even that concurs with the drive spinning up?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom