mac mini audio for plex

blue max

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just about to get a new mac mini and need to connect it all up to watch movies via plex for Crimbo - happy days!

So, I can use hdmi for the picture, but I don't have audio over hdmi for my amp, so need to connect it to the amp somehow.

I am looking for the best quality connection, although cheap would of course be a bonus! I only have stereo unfortunately, but if I can get digital sound out it would still be great.

I saw a video using a toslink to 3.5mm jack adapter, but I'm not sure if that was with a 'new' mac mini, or whether it matters.

All views welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Graham

I think all the Mac Mini's have the dual output audio out - 3.5mm analogue and digital optical from the same output using a TOSlink adapter. So if your amp has an optical input you can use that, using either a cable with a TOSlink on one end and a 3.5mm on the other, or a standard TOS to TOS and a simple adapter.

If you're amp only has analogue inputs, then you'll need a 3.5mm stereo to whatever input you have cable, probably twin RCA

Just for reference, I have the same 3.5mm audio output on my MBP, which is both analogue and optical, and I plugged it into my AVR using the optical connection and it works perfectly. Even gives you full DD/DTS 5.1/6.1 :smashin:

I think all the Mac Mini's have the dual output audio out - 3.5mm analogue and digital optical from the same output using a TOSlink adapter. So if your amp has an optical input you can use that, using either a cable with a TOSlink on one end and a 3.5mm on the other, or a standard TOS to TOS and a simple adapter.

If you're amp only has analogue inputs, then you'll need a 3.5mm stereo to whatever input you have cable, probably twin RCA

Just for reference, I have the same 3.5mm audio output on my MBP, which is both analogue and optical, and I plugged it into my AVR using the optical connection and it works perfectly. Even gives you full DD/DTS 5.1/6.1 :smashin:

Thanks Matt. Think the TOS to TOS plus adapter is probably my preferred route into my AVR350. Now any recommendations to source those please?

Graham

eBay. 1 or 2m cable for £1.50 will do perfectly fine, an adapter will be about 99p. Don't fall into the trap of expensive cables make the difference. They don't. Optical cables are purely digital. Light is either going to get through, or it isn't. Simple as that.

I have a £6.99 2m optical cable that has run between my computer and hifi for past 5 years, and a sub-99p "freebie" 2m cable that came with a soundcard, running between a HTPC (and more recently, my ATV) and av amp for the past 3 and a half years, and there isn't a single difference between them. Neither one has let me down, neither has fallen apart, neither has caused any problems. The only difference between the two is the more expensive one has nice looking metal ends. The other doesn't. But since I never see the ends, so what?

Yes Matt, I agree. But I do want to find a reliable source that doesn't sell rubbish. I'll give the bay a whirl and splash a couple of quid and see what I end up with.
Thanks again.
Graham

I've used these guys several times - Cut Price Cables

Always been spot on, quick delivery, quality product and never any hassle/drama/problems. The 2m £6.99 cable I mentioned in my previous post came from these guys. It's very nicely made, sturdy, and above all, reliable.

That said I've had no trouble with the freebie one I also mentioned haha

Thanks Matt. I just ordered from Ebay, so fingers crossed, but thanks for the link.

Graham

You'll be fine - I ordered a 1m cable from eBay years ago for a PS2 and that was fine. Likewise I bought a 3.5mm adapter for my MacBook off eBay for 99p delivered - can't go wrong at that price! haha

OK, I got one of these for the sound (not yet received). Sounds like a good solution.
Professional Toslink to 3.5mm Jack Optical Cable 1.5m on eBay (end time 29-Dec-10 17:03:03 GMT)

And two of these power leads (received next day!).
Power Cord UK Plug to Figure 8 Fig of 8 Lead Cable 2m White - Fig8-2m_White - kenable for HDMI Optical TOS Network Ethernet RJ45 Scart Audio Phono Jack USB Firewire 800 ADSL Cable Leads
(good quality and incredibly quick delivery).

Hope that helps someone.

Graham

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Hi Graham,

Have you set up the Professional Toslink to 3.5mm Jack Optical Cable 1.5m on eBay (end time 29-Dec-10 17:03:03 GMT) yet ?

Just wondering if it was ok and worth getting ?

Cheers

Mmachine78

Hi Graham,

Have you set up the Professional Toslink to 3.5mm Jack Optical Cable 1.5m on eBay (end time 29-Dec-10 17:03:03 GMT) yet ?

Just wondering if it was ok and worth getting ?

Cheers

Mmachine78

Not yet - I'm not in possession of my mac mini yet!

It helps to have relatives in the states, but you need the patience of a saint dealing with USPS.

I will let you know, although I think it should do the trick.
Graham

Thanks for the links....I already have the Toslink cables so just went for the adaptor...

Cheers

Thanks for the links....I already have the Toslink cables so just went for the adaptor...

Cheers

Guess you could always sell in on the forum if you went another route. You wouldn't lose too much on it. :rotfl:

Graham

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom