Mac Mini and iMac Performance

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by jian, Apr 27, 2007.

1. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    In the process of selling my girlfriend's Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro 2.33ghz because it is a waste to use such a machine purely for surfing and word processing.

Was thinking of geeting her a Mac Mini but not sure what the performance is like. Would anyone care to comment?

Some people say it's slow but having never used one before, I don't know. The alternative is the 17 iMac, whihc seems better value for money and which I presume could be just as fast as the MacBook Pro, however, what are they like to upgrade, do you have to pry them open like the Mini?

Cheers

2. stuart07970

stuart07970

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +359
    The mini's are great, but you'll need to increase the RAM to 1GB for photo editing etc.

But although the latest mini was launched last september, it is due for an update soon (who knows when, as are the iMac also due for relaunch, allegedly. . . . ).

3. py6km

py6km

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Jian - is you MacBook Pro advertised on these forums? If so, could you point me in the direction please because I'm thinking of getting one for my wife

4. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77

Thanks for the reply.

I like the portability of the Mini but am concerned that the performance will be lame. I guess the iMac is a better deal as I'll need to get a monitor also. If they could incorporate the GPU from the iMac, I would definitely buy it.

5. jian

jian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hello,

Do you mean point you to where it is being sold?

If so, you're about an hour too late. I just sold it to a friend, sorry. If he should pull out, I'll re-advertise it and notify you, but I'm pretty certain he won't as the price was quite cheap.

Why does that always happen? Wait ages for a buyer and then 2 come along at the same time!