1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac mini + 30" display + Homechoice - possible solution?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by pod0, Jan 21, 2005.

1. pod0

pod0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Old setup:

Panasonic 28" CRT TV
    Panasonic DVD
    Marantz CD
    Sky
    Sony 5.1 Receiver
    Bose speakers

I've just got Homechoice (absolutely great btw), and have been looking at a Mac Mini + 23" or 30" monitor to now act as my DVD, CD, MP3 and, through something like Elgato's EyeTV, iDTV. I've already seen Homechoice playing through a Mac, so I know that bit works.

My question is, what difference in quality will I notice for TV, audio and DVD? How do the new Mac cinema displays compare with my old Panasonic - and is this even relevant if I'm using a Mac to relay picture / sound?

I'm expecting howls of derision at even suggesting this - a few years ago 'the perfect sound' in my living room was my only priority - funny how things change...!

2. yoskiwoski

yoskiwoski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    mac cinema displays are really good, not sure about comparing to your panasonic, but just wanted to point out that the 30" cinema display wont work with mini mac, only G5 with an extra gfx card

3. Flugzeugler

Flugzeugler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
  4. Sonic67

Sonic67
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,961
    I built a Shuttle PC and I have it connected to my LCD TV via the TV’s PC socket. Good for games, Broadband MP3’s etc. DVD playback doesn’t look quite as sharp as from my DVD player though.