• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mac mail - never worked from day one (for me)

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
I've had a mac for a couple of years now and when I first got it set up my email account but never bothered with mail - tried it a few times but never got anywhere with it and just put it down to my sky router (the free netgear one form a couple of years back). Anyway, it seems really lazy to just ignore the problem so I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light on this? Despite trying to resest passwords etc it just doesn't seem to work - I can launch the app okay but if I try and send an email it can't find the server.

Any ideas?

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
The server is probably the main part of the problem - I rushed the set-up on my mac and didn't spend any time with mail so I really can't remember what I did - if anything!:blush: I've got an account on my Mac for logging on when I start up and also it asks for passwords if I ever attempt to download any software (other than apple software it seems) - also my iphone tells me I have a .Mac email but I've never accessed it on the Mac. I've emailed apple support but my lack of understanding on this subject hampers me from clarifyingwhat it is I'm trying to resolve I think!

Tenex

Distinguished Member
I'd start by getting the email settings from Sky and create a new a/c. Open prefs in Mail and delete all a/cs then create anew.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
I know you mentioned a sky router, but is Sky your ISP? Or do you use gmail more often and want to link your mail client (Mail, Thunderbird, etc) to your gmail instead? I know things sound complex but these days mail clients can connect to more than one server - pls correct me here.

There are posters here who can help setup with some of the idiosyncrasies re email server setup (imap, pop, keeping-messages-on-server, etc.).

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
My broadband is provided by sky. I only use yahoo mail at the moment but wanted to use the .Mac address assigned to me when I first set the Mac up - ideally adding both yahoo and .mac to mail. Really appreciate the replies, I've exhausted what pitiful knowledge of Macs I have quite some time ago!
Edit: of course I'm assuming that apple has it's own email system (hence my mac email address I was assigned when I bought and set-up the mac) that I can set-up in mail? Or is this only for adding the likes of yahoo, gmail, hotmail etc?

Last edited:

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
This might explain your problems with your Yahoo address:
Mac OS X 10.5 Mail: Unable to set up Yahoo email account in Mail

If you do have a .mac address the setup for Mail is simple - try this:
Mac 101: Mail

Edit - unless you've paid for a .mac address you won't have one.

I've not even tried to add yahoo - looks like it's a good job I didn't!

Sorry, I'm being a plum - my email address finishes @mac.com rather than .mac. The @mac.com was assigned to me when I first set-up the Mac but I've never used it - but I would like to!

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Sorry, I'm being a plum - my email address finishes @mac.com rather than .mac. The @mac.com was assigned to me when I first set-up the Mac but I've never used it - but I would like to!

If you bought your Mac more than a year ago that @mac.com (or now @me.com) email address will now have expired - its an annual subscription.

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Right - so apple don't have a free alternative to the mobile me email then?

CamFire

Distinguished Member
Just tried this out myself with Mail and my years' worth of email stored on Gmail came crashing through my broadband :( .

Also with Yahoo!, you should note that POP services are available only with its premium level offerings :thumbsdow but apparently, if you use BT, then it is already available (since BT uses Yahoo! mail)

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Very, you'll find excellent step-by-step guides on Google.

I did and you're quite right, it was incredibly simple. Cheers.

Also added my yahoo account in the same way - seemed very easy but I didn't take any notice as to whether it was pop or imap etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom