Mac knowledge needed........PLEASE

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Sirkerz, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Sirkerz

Sirkerz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    As the title says I need some help for the following problem:

I jumped from Windows to an imac at xmas, I have set up two accounts, one for wife and one for myself.I then loaded all our pics from PC on to Mac (about 10 gigs worth) in my account.When wife trys to view them in iphoto from her account she can not see them. I have made the folder "shared" on my side but still no luck.
    I then bought a Lacie 500 gig Drive and put all the photos on that thinking that as the drive is not connected to any accounts, we should both be able to see them, but still no luck.
    Is there a solution to my problem or am I going to have to buy bigger ear plugs as the wife keeps moaning and moaning about the Mac!!!!

2. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Press Shift+ALt (or Apple key - can't remember and cant test as I'm at work) and click on the iPhoto icon.
    It will ask you for the location of your iPhoto Library, just navigate to it and you should be okay.

Edit::To share them on your own account you'd have to move the folder into the Shared folder under Users.

3. ahin4114

ahin4114

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Are you saying that she can't see the folder on the drive, or that when she opens iPhoto (I assume you're using iPhoto) the pictures aren't there.

If it's the former then there are permissions issues to look at. If it's the latter then I'd expect that as iPhoto has a different copy of the photo library for each user, so she would need to add the pictures to her library as you did to yours in the first place.

4. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Don't think you'd want to do that as (I may be wrong?) it would make another copy of all the photo's in her account.
    Your better off just sharing the library between both accounts from a location that doesn't have access restrictions in place.

That's all I do with my photo's and it works a charm, but saying that I'm sharing them from 2 mac's and not 2 accounts on the same mac.

5. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +234
    Found more info on another forum -

If you want the other user to have the same access to the library as you: to be able to add, edit, organise, keyword etc. then:

Quit iPhoto in both accounts

Move the iPhoto Library Folder to an external HD set to ignore permissions. You could also use a dmg.

(Some people have had success putting the library in the Users/ Shared folder. If you do this make sure the file permissions are set to allow read/write access to everyone. But that's unlikely to work on 10.5 because of the way that the permissions have changed with the new OS.)

In each account in turn: Hold down the option (or alt) key and launch iPhoto. From the resulting dialogue, select 'Choose Library' and navigate to the new library location. From that point on, this will be the default library location. Both accounts will have full access to the library, in fact, both accounts will 'own' it.

However, there is a catch with this system and it is a significant one. iPhoto is not a multi-user app., it does not have the code to negotiate two users simultaneously writing to the database, and trying will cause db corruption. So only one user at a time, and back up, back up back up.