1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac keyboard on a PC!

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by chicken balti, Jan 29, 2003.

1. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, don't know a thing about Mac's so bear with me. The clear acrylic iMac keyboard will look cool with my clear acrylic PC case. Are they compatible?

2. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They apparently are but lack certain (arguably redundant) keys like PgUp, PgDn and PrtScn. There is some free/shareware software available that can be used to remap keys and functions under Windows but I can't recall its name off the top of my head.

3. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Adlopa,

Thanks for the info. The remapping software should be straightforward to track down but I believe that Mac keyboards are USB and will presumably require a driver that will not work 'off the bat' with Windows XP. Does anyone know if XP will detect the presence of a USB keyboard and load any generic drivers that might be in the library? Its just that iMac keyboards (and just about everything else) are sooo coool, it would be great to get one working on my PC.

4. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,621
    I've run one of my Mac keyboards on my PC before without an problems.
    As already said, it's just the character mapping that is wrong with the main one being the @ and " keys transposed. But you soon get used to it.

5. Adlopa

Adlopa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just plugged one into my XP PC and it was detected as a USB Human Interface Device and worked straight away. The Apple key even works as the Windows key, which is handy.

6. chicken balti

chicken balti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys. Credit card is at the ready.