• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Mac G4 MDD Problem

DJACID

Other day cleaning up the loft i found my G4,
for some reason i thought i had sold it,
now bought it down and desided to use it for a little while till i buy another G5,
am 100% i sold the keyboard and mouse for this to a guy from my old workplace,
switch on and booted up fine but kept going into sleep model after while,
am assuming it is down to a software issue and as my sister got 10.5 am going to install that and see,
but have a problem cant remember the password as all 4 accounts had the same password,
and my parrents cant remeber what it is,
now if i boot into terminal then my logitech keyboard wont work,

my sister uses a bluetooth logitech set with ur G5 and that wont work as well,

so anyone know of a work around solution to this???

Boon72

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.
Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.
Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.
Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
Set the user name of your original administrator account.

Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

Enter a new password.
Click Save.

Robfrancis

If you haven't been using it then there is prob not going to be anything that you need on it is there ??

In that case just nuke it and do a full reinstall, you don't need any passwords for that

I wish i found cool toys in my loft !

DJACID

cheers guys,
sorted used the cd and password removed its only after that i remember what it was,
i had it running fine now till temp reach 80 then it switch off,
so think fan is probaly dead,
going to give it a test with a external fan on the heat sink to test it out

DJACID

Yep went with the fresh install idea but ran into afew problems,
firstly as the original drive had some old family pics plus still had os9 install i decided against formatting it,
the upgrade dvd of leopard worked fine but the retail copy would work fine till the apple logo then i'd get a question mark,
as both dvd came with different mac G5 i thought maybe there are for G5 only,
even though i know it cant be,
so my last option was to mount the image from the dvd and then boot from the hard drive and that worked perfectly for me...

also as this case was full of dust and spider webs the problem with it going into sleep was down to the heat sink fan,
which wasnt working,
but if i helped it along by turning it then it worked fine,
so for the mean while i have to switch it on,
open the case and then turn the fan and then start using it,

funny thing all my saved apps which were on my G5 worked on this without doing anything...:clap:

now just need slight help with getting a replacement fan,
cant seem to find one on evilbay...

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom