1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mac and PC Wireless network Question

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by ilkand, Sep 14, 2005.

1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,
    I want to wirelessly network a mac mini (with airport express) and a PC, to connect to broadband. Will the Netgear DG834G that often gets suggested be ok for this. Can macs and pcs work together? Is it difficult to do?

Thanks for any advice,
    Andy

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sure Macs and PCs work together. The way data is transferred to/from a computer (be it PC, Mac, whatever) is a standard (TCP/IP) which neither M$ nor Apple own, and the router won't know nor care that one is a Bill machine and the other one from Steve :) .. making a Mac talk to a PC though is not necessarily a 'given', however I think you're asking about them sharing a router to connect to the internet.

Is it 'difficult'? Not really, though the way network connections are configured in Windows and Mac/OS is entirely different, however I would think (hope) that both nowadays are relatively easy, though I'm not a Mac user so can't speak ffrom experience.

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As KraGorn says, the wireless bit is straightforward. The only thing to keep in mind is if you're using one of these 'turbo' mode wireless set-ups. That wont work with your Macs airport. But keep it all standard, and you'll be fine.

Getting the Mac & PC to see each other is a doddle too. The Mac can attach to shared windows folders, or it can share its folders too (System Preferences -> Sharing -> Services, start Windows Sharing).

Cheers, Carl.

4. jon stallard

jon stallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree with the other replies and I have a mac mini in my network no problems. What it won't do though in the context of MCE2005 (I know this isn't that forum but it's worth repeating) is be able (the mac that is) to view recorded TV programs recorded on an MCE machine. That might not be a factor for you but it was one of the reasons I bought a mac mini in the first place.

PS Wanna buy a mac mini? :)

Cheers,
    Jon.

5. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for all your replies, that has put my mind at rest.
    Is there anything to be gained from using the airport base unit as the router, or is it not worth the exta cash?

Jon, might be interested for right price :D

Cheers
    Andy