MA Silver and Gold mix.

StefanBFC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just some advice, I currently have MA Silver 1 and centre for my front three.

I can upgrade the centre to a Gold c150 for a decent price, but I can't afford to upgrade the two standmounts yet.

I know I'm supposed to keep the front three as the same range, but would I notice a tonal difference, keeping the two standmounts to silver and centre to gold? Would it be worth the upgrade?

Pairing with C265 ceiling, and bronze 1 for rears.

Cheers.
Stefan

I cannot see it being a huge problem. It's similar to my set up except with KEF. The recommended centre to match my R300s is the R600 Centre but I'm running the smaller R200C. I cannot perceive any problems with timbre. I think with the MAs the only real difference is driver size, going up to the Gold can only enhance the centre performance for detail whilst keeping the timbre the same.

I cannot see it being a huge problem. It's similar to my set up except with KEF. The recommended centre to match my R300s is the R600 Centre but I'm running the smaller R200C. I cannot perceive any problems with timbre. I think with the MAs the only real difference is driver size, going up to the Gold can only enhance the centre performance for detail whilst keeping the timbre the same.
But yours are from the same R range?

The two drivers on the silvers are actually bigger at 6". The gold drivers are 5 and a half. The tweeter is a ribbon on the gold as opposed to a dome.

I don't know if the difference in speakers is actually worth the price, it seems its just a different tweeter. The frequency response is higher on the gold.

I don't know if it would make my system sound worse or better. Obviously eventually I'd change the front two but your talking a lot of money changing all three together.

Fair point, the tweeter design is the same on almost all of the KEF range, this is what makes them so easy to upgrade and integrate. I've just noticed that your receiver is the 3300. Will that receiver get the best out of the Golds? I noticed a good improvement when I moved from a Denon 2310 to the X6200 with the KEF R100s.

There are so many different models, even within the model range with MA, which actual speakers are you thinking of getting to replace the Silver 1s?

If your planning on upgrading, I'd probably take the gamble.

I know what you mean regarding the ribbon tweeter, I can see it giving a different tone compared to the domed tweeters in the silvers.

I guess it depends how long till your going to upgrade L&R's

I highly doubt it will be horrible to listen to until you do finally upgrade.

Wouldn't the room correction software most of us use correct for the different sonic signatures of the 2 speakers? At least to an extent.

I have the silver range in 5.1 but in a few years time I'm looking to upgrade to Gold floorstanders as fronts.

Fair point, the tweeter design is the same on almost all of the KEF range, this is what makes them so easy to upgrade and integrate. I've just noticed that your receiver is the 3300. Will that receiver get the best out of the Golds? I noticed a good improvement when I moved from a Denon 2310 to the X6200 with the KEF R100s.

There are so many different models, even within the model range with MA, which actual speakers are you thinking of getting to replace the Silver 1s?
I did think this, I've just replaced the 2200 to the 3300 hoping to get the best out the silvers. Bought from Burnleyadam on this forum.

I've always fancied the golds but never actually thought I'd spend that much on them. Now I've just been offered a gold 150 centre for a good price, so I'd eventually be changing the front silver 1s with gold 50/100, sell the bronze 1 rears and put the silver 1s there.

Do you think with the 3300 I wouldn't notice much difference between the silvers and gold?

It's difficult to afford the whole front three in one hit, (Especially high end). So I'd have to do it in stages.

I have to hide the cost from the wife otherwise she'd murder me ha [emoji1]

If your planning on upgrading, I'd probably take the gamble.

I know what you mean regarding the ribbon tweeter, I can see it giving a different tone compared to the domed tweeters in the silvers.

I guess it depends how long till your going to upgrade L&R's

I highly doubt it will be horrible to listen to until you do finally upgrade.
It's difficult really unless you have the cash you in one go to replace all at the same time.

I can't imagine it making the system worse?? But this is my dilemma really.

The drivers on the gold are actually smaller, but the price increase is a lot.

I would buy it and try it;) if ok you could sell your silver centre and put the funds raised towards the golds.

Martin

I would buy it and try it;) if ok you could sell your silver centre and put the funds raised towards the golds.

Martin

I have to agree, I purposely buy something that’s out of range and then tell the mrs it doesn’t match and need to other bits [emoji23]

I have to agree, I purposely buy something that’s out of range and then tell the mrs it doesn’t match and need to other bits [emoji23]
Mate I have to do cash jobs to pay for half my stuff. I've got an SVS PC2000 sub, for 200 quid "apparently" [emoji23]

I'm going looking at the gold centre tomorrow and hopefully get a listen. I think I'll decide tomorrow after that. All Monitor Audio ceiling speakers are dome tweeters so if you had a full set of golds and ceiling they couldn't all match anyway.

I just know the front three are the most important.

I like the Gold 50s and 100s. Having heard the 100s, more out of interest than serious audition, had I not already been locked into KEF I think I would have given them more serious consideration. With most now having 5.1 systems to change to a whole new manufacturer is going to prove seriously expensive.

With the receivers then going up in the chain of Denon models did bring good improvements with my then front three of R100/200C. The 300s brought further rewards over the 100s so going up in the MA model range would bring benefits that I pretty sure of. However it will still leave scope for further improvements through better amplification.

Good speakers can really benefit from good amps. Now that I have introduced a stereo integrated amp into the system my R300s really sing, far better than they ever have when they just relied on the 6200. With the 3300 having pre-outs you could consider a power amp for the front three when you complete the speaker upgrade.

Upgradiatus can be a cruel mistress.:lesson:

I like the Gold 50s and 100s. Having heard the 100s, more out of interest than serious audition, had I not already been locked into KEF I think I would have given them more serious consideration. With most now having 5.1 systems to change to a whole new manufacturer is going to prove seriously expensive.

With the receivers then going up in the chain of Denon models did bring good improvements with my then front three of R100/200C. The 300s brought further rewards over the 100s so going up in the MA model range would bring benefits that I pretty sure of. However it will still leave scope for further improvements through better amplification.

Good speakers can really benefit from good amps. Now that I have introduced a stereo integrated amp into the system my R300s really sing, far better than they ever have when they just relied on the 6200. With the 3300 having pre-outs you could consider a power amp for the front three when you complete the speaker upgrade.

Upgradiatus can be a cruel mistress.:lesson:
It's never ending pal, this is why I'm always skint!! I need to stop.

The plan was to use a power amp for the front three and the 3300 for rears and atmos.

I listened to the focal 906 last week and I did really like them, but like you say to change the whole system becomes a ridiculous amount.

I'll let you know how I find the gold tomorrow. Thanks for all the input. Nobody had said NO yet so I suppose that's good, or maybe bad [emoji1].

Gold serie should sound quite different cause of the ribbon tweeter and this is what isn`t usually recommended; to mix speakers with different type of drivers. :) But let`s see how you feel after demo where you mix Silver & Gold!

If the goal would be to end up with Gold serie then having it like that for some time should be fine. But then again i might rather take the 3-way Silver center over smaller Gold. It will have some clear advantages over the 2-way designs (your old Silver Centre & Gold C150). I still somehow have the odd feeling after years of reading that Gold serie is more home with music plus you are paying big bucks for the gorgeous finish and need more expensive amplification. If you can listen these two head to head, do that with same movie and report results!

X3300 can totally drive some very expensive low impedance speakers which was mentioned at other forum by known member & dealer plus the measurements back this up, great performing receiver but still Gold serie is on the high end side and usually with those one would have flagship receiver or near it to get maximum from high end speakers!

With the Silver serie there is also easy upgrade path with the mains (S100/S300) plus moving the S1 to surrounds then while keeping the receiver.

If you still have the center channel near the front wall and rear of the cabinet then it would not be good either for the new one = Buying expensive product but placing it poorly -> mediocre end result.

I didn`t say NO, only being little negative after many positive posts.. :laugh: Of course you do what you feel is best and trust your ears. Keep us posted!

PS. Why not listen other brands aswell if looking upgrade. You can always stick with what you have as surrounds/ceiling and concentrate upgrading the front three. There is so many to choose from, no reason to stick with MA only..

Gold serie should sound quite different cause of the ribbon tweeter and this is what isn`t usually recommended; to mix speakers with different type of drivers. :) But let`s see how you feel after demo where you mix Silver & Gold!

If the goal would be to end up with Gold serie then having it like that for some time should be fine. But then again i might rather take the 3-way Silver center over smaller Gold. It will have some clear advantages over the 2-way designs (your old Silver Centre & Gold C150). I still somehow have the odd feeling after years of reading that Gold serie is more home with music plus you are paying big bucks for the gorgeous finish and need more expensive amplification. If you can listen these two head to head, do that with same movie and report results!

X3300 can totally drive some very expensive low impedance speakers which was mentioned at other forum by known member & dealer plus the measurements back this up, great performing receiver but still Gold serie is on the high end side and usually with those one would have flagship receiver or near it to get maximum from high end speakers!

With the Silver serie there is also easy upgrade path with the mains (S100/S300) plus moving the S1 to surrounds then while keeping the receiver.

If you still have the center channel near the front wall and rear of the cabinet then it would not be good either for the new one = Buying expensive product but placing it poorly -> mediocre end result.

I didn`t say NO, only being little negative after many positive posts.. [emoji23] Of course you do what you feel is best and trust your ears. Keep us posted!

PS. Why not listen other brands aswell if looking upgrade. You can always stick with what you have as surrounds/ceiling and concentrate upgrading the front three. There is so many to choose from, no reason to stick with MA only..
Brilliant advice as always Gasp.

The centre speaker is still in the same unit but it's at the front now and slightly tilted upwards. So the 'finish' of the gold wouldn't really be noticed.

Honestly I'm just not a fan of floorstanders, the look of them, I prefer standmounts on stands. I do like the sound of MA and I like the fact they whole system stays the same make. (For now)

I have read the golds sound better with music, and obviously the centre channel is only really for films. When you say the ribbon tweeter is not usually recommended do you mean mixing the front three? Or a ribbon tweeter for centre in general?

The silver three drivers is a huge speaker, that is the reason I'm not going down that route.

I'll be keeping the 3300 for a while yet.

Brilliant advice as always Gasp.

The centre speaker is still in the same unit but it's at the front now and slightly tilted upwards. So the 'finish' of the gold wouldn't really be noticed.

Honestly I'm just not a fan of floorstanders, the look of them, I prefer standmounts on stands. I do like the sound of MA and I like the fact they whole system stays the same make. (For now)

I have read the golds sound better with music, and obviously the centre channel is only really for films. When you say the ribbon tweeter is not usually recommended do you mean mixing the front three? Or a ribbon tweeter for centre in general?

The silver three drivers is a huge speaker, that is the reason I'm not going down that route.

I'll be keeping the 3300 for a while yet.

Nice to hear you got the center placed better now and speakers sit on stands.. Don`t remember all.

I think i got the tower thing wrong then, maybe you mentioned the larger standmount models Silver 2 now S100 which i think you should listen if possible; Monitor Audio Silver 100 Speaker Review

No i meant mixing ribbon tweater speakers with gold dome example.. Audussey XT32 will do some things which might help... But it`s useless to guess, best thing always is to go listen. Ask them to put Silver 50/100 for mains and Gold C150. Also if they got the Gold 50/100 mains listen the whole Gold front three aswell. I have read that they are sweet speakers indeed which won`t left you cold, but are they enough step up for movie use (for the money)? With dedicated 2ch listening i don`t doubt a second that Gold serie wouldn`t be step up from Silver. Many times is the case that higher price tag doesn`t give you that much more in real life for the ££.
This will be very intresting comparison if you can do with the new Silver vs. Gold`s without rush using couple different movies and hell why not couple songs. You are putting so much money if going with Gold`s, so make sure you do compare them with time!

Unfortunately the chance to upgrade has been put back for a while, kids, school places etc..

I didn't get chance to listen to them either, just spoke to the chaps at Audio T in Manchester who said it wouldn't be a problem at all and highly recommend the upgrade to Gold, especially the centre ad for movies this does all the work.

Spoke to the chaps at Audio Affair in Birmingham who don't actually sell MA, but they said the ribbon tweeter is definitely more refined for music.

I will be upgrading just maybe in a few more months now. Then hopefully I'll get to listen.

Unfortunately the chance to upgrade has been put back for a while, kids, school places etc..

I didn't get chance to listen to them either, just spoke to the chaps at Audio T in Manchester who said it wouldn't be a problem at all and highly recommend the upgrade to Gold, especially the centre ad for movies this does all the work.

Spoke to the chaps at Audio Affair in Birmingham who don't actually sell MA, but they said the ribbon tweeter is definitely more refined for music.

I will be upgrading just maybe in a few more months now. Then hopefully I'll get to listen.
Are you thinking of having a demo of the MA Gold at Audio T? I enquired about a demo but was told by the Manchester shop that they don't get them in anymore.

Are you thinking of having a demo of the MA Gold at Audio T? I enquired about a demo but was told by the Manchester shop that they don't get them in anymore.
No I didn't ask him for a demo he didn't offer either I thought he would, he offered me a good deal on the 50`s and 150 centre though, so I was gonna demo them somewhere else and see if I liked them.

He definitely does them.

No I didn't ask him for a demo he didn't offer either I thought he would, he offered me a good deal on the 50`s and 150 centre though, so I was gonna demo them somewhere else and see if I liked them.

He definitely does them.
Thanks, might do the same then.

When you looking at buying? You after all the front three? 50s or 100?
Within the next two months hopefully. Going to demo against Piega Classic 3.0 and the matching centre, they have ribbon tweeters too.

I'd be starting from scratch so ideally all three. I'm inclined to go with the 50's as my listening room is 14.2 m2, the 100's look huge. The 100's could be fussier with placement too and also would give me the temptation to plump for the c350 over the c150.

Within the next two months hopefully. Going to demo against Piega Classic 3.0 and the matching centre, they have ribbon tweeters too.

I'd be starting from scratch so ideally all three. I'm inclined to go with the 50's as my listening room is 14.2 m2, the 100's look huge. The 100's could be fussier with placement too and also would give me the temptation to plump for the c350 over the c150.
Maybe we could ask them for a good discount all bought together [emoji23]

Yeah bigger drivers on the 100's but that would prompt the 350 centre which is huge.

Well one guy at AVSForum just tried Gold C150 with new Silver 300 (3-way towers), he was getting the larger one, but...

"It turned out there was a misunderstanding so I got the Gold C150 instead of the Gold C350. I've been running this together with my Silver 300's for a week and the center speaker sounds a little weak. I'm returning it for the Silver C350, guess it will arrive next week."

I`ll bet the Silver C350 will sound better in some ways. Center channel is one of the most important channel, so the larger size (cabinet + drivers) with 3-way design should be step up, basically as good as it can get with these horizontal centers.

I would wanted to hear more about the tonal differences tho.. Such a shame he didn`t get C350, that would have been superb! Cost is same as the value of my car. :laugh:

Well one guy at AVSForum just tried Gold C150 with new Silver 300 (3-way towers), he was getting the larger one, but...

"It turned out there was a misunderstanding so I got the Gold C150 instead of the Gold C350. I've been running this together with my Silver 300's for a week and the center speaker sounds a little weak. I'm returning it for the Silver C350, guess it will arrive next week."

I`ll bet the Silver C350 will sound better in some ways. Center channel is one of the most important channel, so the larger size (cabinet + drivers) with 3-way design should be step up, basically as good as it can get with these horizontal centers.

I would wanted to hear more about the tonal differences tho.. Such a shame he didn`t get C350, that would have been superb! Cost is same as the value of my car. [emoji23]
Haha I did think about this myself, the silver 350 had three drivers but it's just huge with no ribbon tweeter.

Also going from a silver to a silver just seems crazy. If I do it I'll be going for the golds unless I'm really unimpressed with the difference.

100 and 150, and 50 with 150 is what I'll be looking at. I was hoping to do demoing these last week but will be a few months at least now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom