MA Silver - 6th vs 7th Gen

Everything I read was the c150 was lack luster compared to the c350. For movies most sound comes out the centre speaker. The only issue with the c350 is is sheer size.

However I do agree the c150 and silver 50 are a match in speaker design.
do you have links to reviews that say the 150 6th gen are just as bad as 5th gen? As @AndreNewman only tried the 5th gen which was 2 way instead of 2.5.

No. I can't find any specific reviews comparing 5th to 6th gen. I looked for 6th to 7th myself (this topic) but there just wasn't anything available.

Imo the main reason to get the c150 is because it's much cheaper, it went end of life so it's £200-250 used/new.

But if you can fit in the size of the c350 it should be worth it. I'm now in the middle of my next renovation project, so still haven't unboxed my speakers yet

No. I can't find any specific reviews comparing 5th to 6th gen. I looked for 6th to 7th myself (this topic) but there just wasn't anything available.

Imo the main reason to get the c150 is because it's much cheaper, it went end of life so it's £200-250 used/new.

But if you can fit in the size of the c350 it should be worth it. I'm now in the middle of my next renovation project, so still haven't unboxed my speakers yet
Yeah I can get new Silver 6th Gen 150 for £250 so much cheaper then the C250.
350 I just cant find space for sadly.
Also need a sub so if I didnt I maybe could spent more on centre.

That's my conclusion. That's why I made sure my TV was mounted just high enough to accommodate the c350.

Saving wise, 6th Vs 7th gen was £1300 c350+300 Vs £2100 c250+300 7th gen.

Improvements in speakers is often just incremental. You can only do so much with physics.

I used the saving towards ceiling speakers and subwoofer. Wife approved bksub monolith+ although once it arrived she complained about the size but she approved it and I triple checked the measurements with her.

That's my conclusion. That's why I made sure my TV was mounted just high enough to accommodate the c350.

Saving wise, 6th Vs 7th gen was £1300 c350+300 Vs £2100 c250+300 7th gen.

Improvements in speakers is often just incremental. You can only do so much with physics.

I used the saving towards ceiling speakers and subwoofer. Wife approved bksub monolith+ although once it arrived she complained about the size but she approved it and I triple checked the measurements with her.
Nice choices!
I also live in a apartment so dont need powerful speakers anyway. So I am swaying towards 6G Silver 50s and Silver c150. At those prices hard to beat.

If your not on the ground floor, don't get a down firing subwoofer. Make sure it's forward firing.

If your not on the ground floor, don't get a down firing subwoofer. Make sure it's forward firing.
yeah lookin at forward firing BK 200s

The centre speaker is the most important speaker as it handles most of the audio so IMO buy the best you can even if it means stretching your budget. I am lucky that I have space for the C350 even though I only have Silver 50 front left and right.

do you have links to reviews that say the 150 6th gen are just as bad as 5th gen? As @AndreNewman only tried the 5th gen which was 2 way instead of 2.5.
The change to 2.5 way should fix some of the issues I had with the 5th Gen C150, the narrow beam. Hopefully a change to the crossover should fix the really harsh midrange, a 2.5 way should be more like a 3 way even though it's asking a large driver to reproduce the main vocal range.

Actually I have heard the 6th gen C150, I bought a subwoofer from someone who had one, so I heard a quick demo from them to prove the sub worked ok. The center sounded fine in a quick non-critical listen in someone else's house, yeah so probably fairly worthless.

I think (hope) they just made some poor decisions on the 5th gen and the update has fixed everything. Many other manufacturers manage to produce a similar center without those issues.

Looks like MA probably didn't sell too many C350's as they have shrunk it into the new C250, glad I got my C350 when I did, still extremely happy with it.

The change to 2.5 way should fix some of the issues I had with the 5th Gen C150, the narrow beam. Hopefully a change to the crossover should fix the really harsh midrange, a 2.5 way should be more like a 3 way even though it's asking a large driver to reproduce the main vocal range.

Actually I have heard the 6th gen C150, I bought a subwoofer from someone who had one, so I heard a quick demo from them to prove the sub worked ok. The center sounded fine in a quick non-critical listen in someone else's house, yeah so probably fairly worthless.

I think (hope) they just made some poor decisions on the 5th gen and the update has fixed everything. Many other manufacturers manage to produce a similar center without those issues.

Looks like MA probably didn't sell too many C350's as they have shrunk it into the new C250, glad I got my C350 when I did, still extremely happy with it.
Yeah shame there is not many reviews of 6th gen C150.
Sub will be pointless to buy cheap as I did that and ended up being useless as unless I bump up volume to 50% I hear nothin but then YAPO thinks its too high so sets to -10 lol
If I could get good sub for £299 then could spent extra on c250

Bargain if anyone wants a c350. If this would fit in my stand I would have snapped one up.

685CE128-28D9-401E-A41F-02FACAA21399.png

The garage conversion starts in a week, so still can't really use the room but it's progressing slowly. Plus when I can, my avr2300 can only use 2 ceiling speakers. I'm waiting for a decent price or just pay full whack for a 2022 model since 2021 seems to have been skipped by many manufacturers completely.

The ceiling speakers have been a nightmare. Do it whilst the ceiling is down, however this ceiling is full of plumbing, gas pipe and electrical cables, and the joists run in a none ideal direction. I've had to move quite a few wires and pipes to get the speakers even vaguely in position.

Attachments

• IMG_20220109_215718.jpg
    IMG_20220109_215718.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 80
  • MVIMG_20220109_215733.jpg
    MVIMG_20220109_215733.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 79
The C350 handles pretty much anything you throw at it, plus you soon get used to the size of it. Even my wife doesn't give me any grief about it. Her only wish is White speakers!! I I have a 75" above the c350 and it looks great.

The one thing I've got to do is replace the black speaker grille with grey fabric to get the wife's approval. Job for another day.

I have a 65" oled at the moment. Cost £1800 at the time. Wanted a 77" but they were £5-7k so no chance, yet this year you can get them for £2500 in sales... Although by the time I replace the TV, qd-oled might be affordable enough before microled is cheap enough

Last edited:
Hi all. Would a C350 centre be a good upgrade for our MA Silver RX centre? We are very happy with our current system of Silver RX8 floorstanders and RXFX Silver surrounds but wondered if the larger centre would add anything?

Our current system comprises of Monitor Audio Silver RX8 floorstanders, Silver RX centre, Silver RXFX side surrounds and an RXW12 sub, all purchased in December 2010. They are linked to a Marantz SR7012 receiver, which in turn is linked to Rotel RMB1075 THX 5 channel power amp, which powers the front three channels. We also added two Cambridge Audio Minx Min 22 speakers for Atmos duties, placed at ceiling height, at the front of the room, above the floorstanders.

I haven't used the silver Rx centre, but everything I hear is the c350 is a great centre (better than the 7th gen c250 that replaces it if you believe Reddit comments) and it's end of line so discounted by nearly £200 at the moment. Might even be out of stock now.

Most movie sound effects comes from the centre so it's very important.

Just managed to get a good deal on the Silver 500 7g, will be going with a Denon 6700h I just purchased from Ebay.

I now need a centre and maybe even a sub but am nearing my max budget - admittedly I got the 500 7g for almost 50% of RRP, so too good to turn down.

Paying full RRP for the 7g centre isn't ideal - am I ok with the 6g Centre 350 or is it better to match gen and go 250c for almost double. I could potentially get a used 250c for half the cost of the 350c

Just received a gloss black C350 centre from Peter Tyson. Looks and sounds fantastic just wired up and plonked into our AV unit. Will redo our Audyssey measurements tomorrow and put a 4K movie or two on 😎

That's a great price on the 500 7g. Everything was full price when I checked in November. So I went 300 6gen for £899.

There are still little to no reviews. I found one guy on Reddit so not exactly a trusted resource, and they said the c350 6th gen was better than the c250 7th gen. Which probably makes sense as the 350 has a size advantage.

The 7th gen just looks like a refresh so you could probably get away with a 6th gen centre.

The 7th gen just looks like a refresh so you could probably get away with a 6th gen centre.

Thanks - I've asked audio affair for some trade in values on my current equipment.

The guy selling the 6g 350 hasn't replied to my offer, even after linking him to retailers selling it for less than his used asking price!

Just received a gloss black C350 centre from Peter Tyson. Looks and sounds fantastic just wired up and plonked into our AV unit. Will redo our Audyssey measurements tomorrow and put a 4K movie or two on 😎

It’s an epic centre, hope you love it. To be honest it’s by far the best centre I’ve had. That and two Silver 300s (or 100s/200s) makes for an absolutely superb front soundstage.

It would probably be pushing it to suggest to my wife we need to change the Silver RX8 floorstanders as well! They do sound superb in our room with anything you throw at them

Excellent, get them while you can, my C350 was the best thing I bought for a long while.

I was even considering getting two more for under screen identical LCR while they are discounted and still around.

Managed to get a Price match on c350 with Peter Tyson for a black unit, to match the incoming speakers. So fairly pleased on that

Good news. The c350 was even down to £349 I think so £50 less than when I got it in November.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom