MA Silver - 6th vs 7th Gen

famasfilms

Banned
Good news. The c350 was even down to £349 I think so £50 less than when I got it in November.

Yeah was just about to edit - PT had it at £319 and £349 depending on colour but no black. HIFX had one unit left, in black, and reduced theirs to £359 - so might as well take that to get consistency in colour.

All my furniture and speakers are black apart from centre which is brown, so might as well pay a tiny bit more to get all black.

Just got tracking update for the 500s from Ebay, however, some guy on youtube said:

" However i will say that there are quality issues on the new 7G series and monitor audio have had to revise the outrigger feet out of a stronger material due the plastic flexibility making the feet bend and wobble. They offered to replace them for me couldn't give me a timescale as its currently being made in China so i choose to return the speakers and may well opt to go for the 6G version that has stamped metal outrigger feet."

Anyone experienced this?

DavidT

I was lucky with my C350, bought last September from Richersounds for £299.

DarkConvict

That's a surprise I was looking and it always seemed to be £550 until it went end of life in August and dropped to £399

DavidT

That's a surprise I was looking and it always seemed to be £550 until it went end of life in August and dropped to £399
It was £399 but RS did one of their flash sales and had a £100 off so I snapped it up.

password1

Distinguished Member
Just managed to get a good deal on the Silver 500 7g, will be going with a Denon 6700h I just purchased from Ebay.

I now need a centre and maybe even a sub but am nearing my max budget - admittedly I got the 500 7g for almost 50% of RRP, so too good to turn down.

Paying full RRP for the 7g centre isn't ideal - am I ok with the 6g Centre 350 or is it better to match gen and go 250c for almost double. I could potentially get a used 250c for half the cost of the 350c
Have you thought about getting a Gold centre as the technology from the latest Silvers shares very similar technology from previous Golds. Ie Rst drivers and c cam drivers so I expect a tonal match at least as close as the 6g silvers or somewhere between 6g and 7g silvers.

As you're aware when Monitor Audio release new speakers they share trickled down technology from the range above.

famasfilms

Banned
Have you thought about getting a Gold centre as the technology from the latest Silvers shares very similar technology from previous Golds. Ie Rst drivers and c cam drivers so I expect a tonal match at least as close as the 6g silvers or somewhere between 6g and 7g silvers.

As you're aware when Monitor Audio release new speakers they share trickled down technology from the range above.

I already bought the 350c earlier today, and already this week I've upgraded my amp, got the Silver 500s, just bought earlier today the centre, two XTZ S2's off here and 2 x Kef t101s off ebay. Definitely got a bit carried away and still possibly have a sub to upgrade - but at least now I don't have to worry about it for another 5-6 years

password1

Distinguished Member
I already bought the 350c earlier today, and already this week I've upgraded my amp, got the Silver 500s, just bought earlier today the centre, two XTZ S2's off here and 2 x Kef t101s off ebay. Definitely got a bit carried away and still possibly have a sub to upgrade - but at least now I don't have to worry about it for another 5-6 years
That's good news.

Although the surrounds aren't as important as matching the front speakers, if you ever fancy getting better surrounds you'll know the gold surrounds will probably be a good alternative to 7g silvers for surrounds.

famasfilms

Banned
That's good news.

Although the surrounds aren't as important as matching the front speakers, if you ever fancy getting better surrounds you'll know the gold surrounds will probably be a good alternative to 7g silvers for surrounds.

Yeah, I'm gonna move to current front Kef Q3s to the rear side which are currently mission m34i, they should be fine there. Can't see myself spending hundreds on another set to go there

The original plan was just to upgrade lcr but then ended up getting a new avr

Fortunately got the 500 7g for 50% off rrp via ebay

critchley

Standard Member
Yeah was just about to edit - PT had it at £319 and £349 depending on colour but no black. HIFX had one unit left, in black, and reduced theirs to £359 - so might as well take that to get consistency in colour.

All my furniture and speakers are black apart from centre which is brown, so might as well pay a tiny bit more to get all black.

Just got tracking update for the 500s from Ebay, however, some guy on youtube said:

" However i will say that there are quality issues on the new 7G series and monitor audio have had to revise the outrigger feet out of a stronger material due the plastic flexibility making the feet bend and wobble. They offered to replace them for me couldn't give me a timescale as its currently being made in China so i choose to return the speakers and may well opt to go for the 6G version that has stamped metal outrigger feet."

Anyone experienced this?

critchley

Standard Member
I also experienced this on the silver 200 7G's , the speakers wobbled excessively with the slightest of touches.
Monitor audio said the ABS moulded feet have been revised to be made out of a stronger glass fibre plastic but couldn't give me a time frame on when they would be able to replace them.
I think this is totally unacceptable and have no confidence in the new feet being any better as its still plastic
So i choose to return them and look for a better quality spea

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I also experienced this on the silver 200 7G's , the speakers wobbled excessively with the slightest of touches.
Monitor audio said the ABS moulded feet have been revised to be made out of a stronger glass fibre plastic but couldn't give me a time frame on when they would be able to replace them.
I think this is totally unacceptable and have no confidence in the new feet being any better as its still plastic
So i choose to return them and look for a better quality spea

Get the 6G 200, you save bunch of money aswell!
https://petertyson.co.uk/monitor-audio-silver-200-floorstanding-speakers

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom