Ma rx2

AVPaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Nad 315Bee and 515Bee and have been seeking a bigger better standmount speaker than my Lil Tannoy F1. I have seen some used RX2, is my amps 40w enough to drive these? How will the combination sound?

:hiya:

Yes your NAD set-up will drive them fine :)

They are superb speakers but need good stands under them (the likes of the Atacama Nexus 6i's at a minimum; preferablly mass loaded with atabites)

Your NAD combo will sound very good with them BUT it could be a consideration to upgrade your amp to the likes of the NAD C326BEE or even the C355BEE in the near future

The RX2's have a superb soundstage; superb bass weight thats taut and punchy and a well timed, detailed midrange with crisp, clear treble.

The sound difference will be VERY noticable over your Tannoys but the RX2's are close to 2, maybe 3 times the size ;)

Thanks for that advice, Thats what I hoped.

What Da Ya Reckon is a good price for an ex demo pair, 6mo old, exc condition

£350?

Very good price IMO

They retail at £499 new and £599 in the gloss finish

I nearly went for them on some Partington Super Dreadnought stands but ended up going for the RX6's as they blew me away and the RX2's on stands take up more room. Theyre chunky speakers ;)

What speaker cable do you have currently and what interconnects are you using?

Only 79 Strand Speaker Cable and a purple QED interconnect (was £50 10 years ago)

I am not a believer in high end cables, I think its psychology at work, And mains cables, jeeeezzzzzz

Have you got a recommended upgrade?

Hmmm the QED interconnect sounds like a QED Qenex 1 so that could do with a change ASAP IMO

Something along the lines of the Chord Crimson would be spot on but for a bit more £££ the Atlas Equator or the Black Rhodium Prelude are worth it ;) I've been VERY impressed with the Black Rhodium Prelude in my system

As for speaker cable; I know what you mean and where youre coming from but IMO (from being there and done that) the likes of the Chord Carnival Silverscreen or the QED Silver Anniversary XT cables are worth their cost. Also worth remembering to get an extra 0.5m of the cable as well so that you can make speaker jumper cables to replace the naff speaker jumper bars that come with bi-wireable speakers! (BTW I've some Chord Carnival Silverscreen cable for sale currently on 'The Bay' ;) )

If you've the budget (or if you can find it 2nd hand) the QED Revelation speaker cable is very good and will withstand a good few upgrades!

I wonder if you can help. I have been looking at speakers for 2 weeks now and 2 hours ago I thought I had settled on the RX2. BUT, they are going to be close to a wall (15cm) and they are physically very large. I am going to buy some speakers next week for DEFINITE but need to get the right pair, only demo'd RX1 and BR2. I have just this minute set up my Nads with my Kef Q35 (My only other speakers) and I do like the Kef sound but they are a bit anaemic and bass light, does that mean I like a Brighter speaker? I do like plenty of detail (tsss) but also a full sound with a bit of de bass.

I have found so far:

RX2 £350 Ex Demo
RX1 £340 New
BR2 £175 New
685 £379 New £300 Ex Demo
CM1 £350 Ex Demo
Quad 12L2 £380 New
Kef IQ30 £250 Used

Aint Life Complicated

Last edited:
IMO out of the speakers you've mentioned I'd be aiming for the b&w 685's, the m/a RX 1's or 2's or if you can find them the m/ br2's. All will be fine with your set-up but now knowing the speaker positioning my money would be on the 685's. They're forward firing and will sit well with the Nads ;)

Thanks for the replies, I might treat myself to a NEW pair of 685's, I was thinking they may be the best decision and have a long warranty to last me a few equipment changes, never see them discounted though, always at RRP of £379.

Go for it; you'll not go far wrong with the 685's ;)

Superb speakers and will always be one of my faves. In fact I'm considering them for my next system if I decide to downsize!

I have just this minute set up my Nads with my Kef Q35 (My only other speakers) and I do like the Kef sound but they are a bit anaemic and bass light, does that mean I like a Brighter speaker? I do like plenty of detail (tsss) but also a full sound with a bit of de bass.

I compared RX2 with Kef Ref 203 floorstanders not long ago and RX2 had more bass punch. Kef's have a more toned down approach to bass which makes them sound great for certain types of music like female vocals. I found the RX2 to be a better balanced speaker and good for all types of music.

Attachments

• DSC00246 [1280x768].JPG
    DSC00246 [1280x768].JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 424
The RX2's are superb speakers but with the OP's positioning of speakers the B&W 685's would be better suited

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom