MA RX-6s or B&W 684s for Music

fullerms

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

The wife has given me a one time approval to get a pair of floor standers. I will be upgrading the LCR speakers of a very basic Mordaunt Short 5.1 package. Will upgrade the Rears and Sub later.

I am considering the B&W 684 / HTM 62 and the MA RX-6 / RXC combos. Usage is a mix of music, movies and gaming. The receiver is a Denon 1610.

I know that speaker choice is subjective, but I would like to get some feedback from current owners on why they chose between the two brands / models.
What made you chose one brand over the other.

Please restrict the discussions between these two brands / models.

Both speakers really need better amplification than the 1610 to get the best from them. Do you intend to upgrade the reciever at any stage? If not then maybe the BX range would be something to look at.
I know the old RS range needed good amplification to sound good and if you had lower quality amps then it was better to not get them. I think the RX range is easier to drive than the RS but worth listening to both speakers and also a level below with your level of reciever to see which sounds best.
As you say speaker choice is very subjective so whats is great for one person will sound terrible to another. The only way to know you have made the right choice for yourself is to go listen to them.
Without listening to the various options why have you narrowed down to 2 choices of speaker? There are a lot of speakers out there that are just as good if not better so why not go listen to a wide selection to ensure you get the very best speaker for your system and ears.

Yes, I might get a stereo amp later on, but will live with the 1610 for now.

I have been auditioning speakers for a couple of years now, and it's time to bite the bullet. I have listened to Mordaunt Short, Wharfedale and Q Acoustics just to name a few brands. It's these two models that have survived the elimination process, and I need some inputs on choosing between these two.

The problem is, when it comes down to Speaker-A vs Speaker-B, it becomes too personal. You will find as many choosing one as choosing the other.

Both are good, and both have their advantages and disadvantages.

And, yes, as much as we hate to admit it, style and appearance carry a lot of weight.

The RX6 are slightly more money by about £100, you have to decide for yourself, if the sound and look £100 better.

I heard both the B&W 684 and 683 recently, and I was impressed with the bass on the 684. I expected a huge difference in the perceived weight between the two, but they were pretty close. The 683 seem to go lower, but the bass on the 684 was impressive.

When it is this against that, the true and best test are you eyes and ears.

Steve/bluewizard

I think what hifi conducted a group test with the RX-6s some time in late 2009. Can someone point me to an online archive where I can go and read it?

Update: I ordered a pair of RX6s with the RX Centre, being delivered to my place this saturday :)

My RX6s were delivered on Saturday, very happy with the performance. Music never sounded better, the integration of the LCR is awesome.

I realised that the opening scenes on 'Cars' are a good test of LCR integration with all those cars zipping across the screen.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110718_082436.png
    ForumRunner_20110718_082436.png
    275.6 KB · Views: 228
Try the matrix on b/d for sound effects.

the rx's are certainly a very good speaker ,they take a while to run in and you will hear a lot of changes while thats going on but when you have ....well what can i say you'll be mesmerized by the shear clarity and deep tight definition of the bass response !

welcome to the rx happy owners club !:smashin::smashin:

filterfreak said:
the rx's are certainly a very good speaker ,they take a while to run in and you will hear a lot of changes while thats going on but when you have ....well what can i say you'll be mesmerized by the shear clarity and deep tight definition of the bass response !

welcome to the rx happy owners club !:smashin::smashin:

Do the speakers need any special care while being run in? I usually listen to them at -35 db, the max volume will go up to -25 db. I use a Denon 1610 to drive them.

There is no need to do anything while running them in. Just use them like you would normally.

just use them as normal as psm1 says and they will be fine i used al different volumes and all sorts of genre of music to make sure they ran in evenly !

once you have you'll love then :smashin::smashin:

My RX6s were delivered on Saturday, very happy with the performance. Music never sounded better, the integration of the LCR is awesome.

I realised that the opening scenes on 'Cars' are a good test of LCR integration with all those cars zipping across the screen.

Hey there
for what its worth I think you made the right choice. Although it's obviously a personal think. I auditioned the RX6' against the B&W's and some Q series Kef's.
All I can say is that the MA's had the best of all worlds and found their way into my living room. Haven't regretted it for a moment. In my opinion, you'll have loads of happy times with your new baby's.:smashin:

Another happy RX6 owner checking in. Good choice my friend, I wouldn't be without mine now.

mr_x_plosion said:
Another happy RX6 owner checking in. Good choice my friend, I wouldn't be without mine now.

Thanks. I listened to my favourite tracks for almost 3 hours today, and was amazed by the sound stage and clarity of these speakers. I am rediscovering my music collection with these speakers.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom