MA RS6 v RS5

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by SteveTDCI, Apr 27, 2007.

1. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Is there much difference between the too ? If I tried the RS5 would I be missing out on much and is the RS5 much of an improvment over the BR5 in terms of sound, build I know it will be. I know I should try but I want to avoid spending more than I want too !

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Yes. (PS: the word two is spelt like that)

Yes it is.

Yes, you should try them out. The only way to decide what will be up to the job soundwise is for you to listen to them and make your mind up.

3. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks, i'd try them but I would more than likely want them, its like test driving a ferrari but knowing you shouldn't buy anything more than a Punto ... oh, and sometimes I feel the need to type quick and not check ... usually because the wife will ask questions !

4. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    if you like classical music or jazz, go for the RS series over the BR series....

if you go RS, difference between RS5 and RS6 depends on room size mostly....

in a large room (18ftx12ft approx or above) then you can safely go for RS6 and get the most out of them......under that size and to be honest the RS5's will do just as well......the RS6's go a little deeper but unlikely to make a difference in a smaller room....

hope this helps :)

5. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks, i'm not into Jazz or Classical, its more like rock. Room size is 5m x 3m. I was advised (and this is before a demo) that although the BR5's were good, the RS5 was better for the sake of £50

6. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    hmmm for Rock music the BR's might actually be the more suitable performer strangely.....also if Rock is your thing i highly recommend you consider KEF speakers....the iQ range will be the ones in your price band...

best thing to do is listen and buy what sounds best to you

7. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I posted a very similar question to this a month or two back and was in exactly the same dilemma.

I'd say, having listened to all three speakers that it breaks down as follows..

In your 5m x 3m room - I'd say your right on the cusp of using the RS6's.....if you have the space so that you can give them a good two or three ft. clearance all round, then go for them, they are stunning at the price - BUT - they have to have a decent amount of room to work in. This is not just about physical room size, but also where they will actually be positioned. I'd say the reviews are right on this one and unless you can give them a bit of space around their actual positions in the room - i.e. avoid them being tight against any wall whether it's from the side or rear, otherwise you have a very decent chance of getting a significant booming effect.

I'm sure you roughly have an idea of where they will go already, and if it's tight or close to a wall, I'd leave it.

Essentially the same applies to the BR5's - they ideally need a bit of space to work in as well - but it's not as critical as with RS6's. If you had to put them flush against a rear wall......might be booming issues again potentially....but otherwise you should be OK....

For Rock music - I'd recommend the BR5's personally....the RS5's are better all-rounders, and there's arguments saying that the RS5's mid's and high's give the RS6 a good run for it's money also, but the RS5's won't go as low as either a BR5 (VERY small difference, but noticeable to my ears - although none of the speakers where bi-amped on demo as my RS5's currently are - that makes a massive difference IMHO) or the RS6's (again small difference, but definitely noticeable).....

I'm running 4 RS5's as fronts and rears in a home cinema set-up in a room that's slightly smaller than yours - approx 13/14ft by 11/12ft......I'm underpinning them with an SVS SB12+ - so how low they go is not an issue for me in AV mode because of the sub. In pure stereo mode with no sub, the RS5's go plenty low enough for me - I listen to everything from 80's techno/dance/jazz/classical etc. and there is bass a-plenty in my opinion, but that said, I specifically wanted to avoid any bass boom issues which I would have almost certainly got with the RS6's and would probably have got with the BR5's because of my room layout and where they HAD to go........

All comes down to room layout I reckon - you'll be happy with any of the three to be honest - RS5's are worth the extra £50 squid over BR5's all day long in my opinion, but they may not neccessarily be the right one's for you given your music preference?

Pretty much any Sevenoaks should have these available for demo I'd have thought?

My two penneth's worth - hope it's of some use to you.

Regards,

David.

8. SteveTDCI

SteveTDCI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    David, thanks for that. With regards to positioning, they are going to be stood either side of the TV in a corner, so they not right against a wall but they are still squeezed in. I will move them a little for when the wife is out but most of the time they are not going to be in the best position. The benefit of the BR5 is that the centre is cheaper, but then the RS5 is a much better looking speaker.

As for demos, 7Oaks don't have the BR5, so I intend to demo the RS5 then go to our local Hughes Electrical who have the BR5 and RS5/6, I'll use the same amp although I think I might be going for an Arcam which hughes don't stock !

9. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Hi again

I'd personally be wary of using the bronze centre with the BR5's. I think it is well matched with the BR2 's in a surround set-up, but is over-powered by the excellent BR5's when paired with them - especially in a smaller roomed set-up.

I think if you do a search, one or two people have matched the BR5's with the RS centre - if you go for the black or maple/cherry colour, then it's not a bad match and you don't actually see that much of the RS centre box from the front when the grill is on. I found the leap in performance on demo from the BR centre to the RS to be huge, but the gap between the RS centre and Gold series centre, not so huge.....but then the law of diminishing returns always applies when you start moving up the chain....

I'd have thought you could haggle some sort of deal if you are buying RS fronts's and a centre together - even move if buying rears/effects speakers also?

Sevenoaks knocked £200 quid off the two pairs of RS5's and RS centre for me - but obviously it varies from branch to branch - but I couldn't even match that on-line in the end, so I was very happy and they had earnt their cash with the demo-ing I had done.

You may actually get a better deal on the RS5's as they seem not to sell as well as either the RS1 standmounts or the RS6's which are both raved about. There are so many good reviews for the RS6's and RS1's and a lot of people buy blind off the net or without auditioning them - there is very little to read up on regarding the RS5's for some reason. If there was, they would be selling a lot stronger I'm sure, but this may be a blessing in disguise when it comes to haggling!!

Anyway - I am a biased fan as you can tell - but I'm fairly certain an audition will back this up and then you can be sure you've made the right choice - do remember the positioning them in YOUR room issue though - I bet they don't put the RS6's near any walls when you demo them!!

Best Regards and Good luck,

Dave.

10. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    FYI - there is a chap on the forum selling an almost brand new Arcam AVR250 receiver on the sales forum - I sold it to him on here brand new so it's just over a month old with 23 months warranty etc.....might be just the thing to pair with the RS's and you can bi-amp the fronts as well if using in 5.1 mode!!

Do a search on Arcam in the for sale forum's and it should come up - he is a well respected senior member - so the unit should be mint.

cheers,

dave.

11. Graham27

Graham27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +976
    Exactly my problem too. Been mucking about moving the TV further into the room but it looks like it'll be getting stuck right back into the corner :mad: The outer edge of whatever speakers I get will be pretty much against the wall.

I was planning on buying MS908's due to the WAF being higher but it looks like I may be able to swing a set of MA's (my original choice) as Richers are phasing out the MS's.

I'm a rock/dance fan and the missus loves her cheesy pop and 80's so I had been thinking BR5. Now I'm thinking RS5... these bloomin forums...