• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

MA RS/Radius mix anyone?

Endeavour

I have my projection screen in front of my fireplace and want to upgrade from my wall mounted KEF Eggs which will be obscured by the larger screen I am planning. I would like something with a "bigger" sound though I must admit the 2005s do a grand job when partnered with my PV1.

The alcoves at the side of the fireplace are reasonable roomy (115cm W x 45cm D) so I was thinking of floorstanders like the RS6 or RS8. The problem would be in the centre where the RS LCR has no suitable location. I was thinking of using a Radius R250 instead which is much shallower and can be wall mounted.

Anyone using this combo?

I experimented with Ruark floorstanders and an R250 at the weekend and it worked quite well. Also tried the R270, which I liked the look and sound of, but didn't seem to move the game on much from the KEFs in terms of scale and might look a bit lost where I want to put them.

kidloco46

was thinking the same myself, I have a set of GS10 on front duties, couldnt stretch to the matching centre plus its frickin HUGE, was going to get more resonably priced and sized RS centre, but I REALLY like the look of the bigger centre Radius.

Think im going to demo it next week, ill keep you posted, as long as its pretty close quality wise to the RS ill snap one up, would look alot nicer under the TV then the RS

SteveTDCI

Let us know how the demo goes, I was thinking of the BR5's but using the Radius as the rears.

kidloco46

well got my demo booked for Sat morning. Will be listening to

Radius R225

RS centre

and just for good measure the GS Centre (although I cant really afford it and my amp isnt good enough to justify it)

really hoping the Radius puts in a decent performance, ideally id like in the future to get the full radius set for movies and just have my GS10s for music.

Just need to dig out some good test DVDs

Endeavour

I used House of Flying Daggers "Echo Game" in DTS for my demo. Its a real torture test for panning effects and high frequency response. In retrospect I wish I had taken something along for dialogue intelligibility too as I don't speak Chinese! ;)

What disk would you use for that purpose? Ideally it would need to be something where you needed to pick out the main dialogue from a background babble. Nothing to rumbustious, just the kind of everyday interference. Then again I can never hear what people are saying to me in busy pubs in real life so I just nod a lot - but that would look silly in a demo room.

kidloco46

yeah I was going to take house of the fly daggers along, will also be taking Matrix, Fast and the furious ( the first proper race has manic DTS effects :D ) just need some good dialouge films now. Resovoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction spring to mind, res has loads of people talking over each other and Pulp has the bonus of samual L Jackson, he voice should have the weight and scale to it that im thinking the Radius may struggle with. We will see.

Also gonna take along the Divine Comedy live in concert DVD I have, its DTS encoded and sounds fantastic, should really give the centre channel a workout

fuzzybee

Banned
I have been using a mix of MA Radius speakers and mark 2 KEF eggs for a couple of years now and they seem to compliment each other very well indeed,
a pair of R270's doing the front left and right duties and a R225 for the center.

then three Kef Eggs at the rear, i also use the Kef sub that came with the mk2's which seemlessly integrates with the front three MA Radius speakers.

this setup works very well :thumbsup:

kidloco46

well I did the demo today, and I have decided what Im getting, the RS Centre :D

The Radius was OK, nice, detailed and clear, but it just struggled to convey any sense of scale. The RS although no where near in the leauge of the GS centre was noticably better then the Radius.

The GS was stunning, but A: its to big, B: its to expensive & C: I dont have the AV amp to do it justice.

Iv ordered the Light oak to go with my GS10's , it should be here around tuesday or wednseday, the missus was hoping I would have gone for the Radius but sound comes first im affriad :)

al73

Standard Member
Hi Endeavor

I live in chester too and use RS8's with RSLCR and R90's. Ive just bought an R250 as a centre as the RS LCR is too big for my new av rack. It works pretty seamlessly and ive found it to be the best compromise between performance and domestic harmony!

Cheers

Al

audio15

Standard Member
Hi,

I use MA RS6 on the front for music with a R250 for centre duties. I think it works really well. Plus, I have the RS6's in oak and the R250 in Piano black which matches the pioneer screen.

The R250 has more body to the sound than the R180 or R225.

Gossip.

GarethG

Al
I was considering the RS and radius ranges, is there much difference between the RS LCR and Radius R250 as a centre? As its mainly HC I am strongly influenced by the best option for centre

Gareth

audio15

Standard Member
Did you try out all the centre options?

Hi,

I did try the RS-LCR, and indeed it was better for HT. However, I had to go for a compromise due to the space constraints and also I wanted Piano black to match the screen. Anyhow, the R250 is actually very good. I did compare it in the shop to the R225 and RSLCR.

Ian J

Banned
As Gossip the private member seems to be posting from the same computer as audio15 the representative of Monitor Audio I have taken the liberty of amalgamating his two accounts as I would hate forum members to think that they were receiving unbiased information :)

OneDesi

Very interesting thread - could anyone tell me if the R250 is a significant step up from the R225 as I always feel underwhelmed by the Vocals on ly rig (R270 front, R225 centre and R90 reard although rears will soon be RSFX's).

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom