MA Radius or KEF3005? Yam 1065 or Denon 19/2310?

darren s

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

After deliberating for weeks about which home cinema amp/speakers to go for, I'm still not sure and need help!

I've narrowed down the speakers to MA Radius R90s or to an R270/R90 combo.

Now, with these speakers in mind, do you think a Yamaha 1065 or Denon 1910 would do them justice, and which would be best?

Also, I've been in touch with sevenoaks and the guy there doesn't rate the Yamaha and suggested a Denon 2310. He thought that the Yam 1065 or Denon 1910 wouldn't do the speakers justice, what do people on here think?

To confuse me even more, I saw that they are selling the KEF 3005SE with a Yam 1065 for £1280, which is tempting me as the KEFs were probably my next choice speakers after the MA stuff...

:eek: My head hurts!! Someone Please Help Me!!

I'm really pleased with the MA-Yamaha combo I have in the living room (love the sub!) :smashin: You didn't mention what you will be using the system for or how big your room is. If it's going to be mainly for movies and the room isn't enormous, R90s would be fine without having to upgrade to 270s.

Cheers!

I spent months with the same dilemma as you but after trying both sets out a number of times I went for the Monitor Audio, I went 270 fronts, 90 rears and 225 centre. Im really pleased with the choice.
I went with a Rotel receiver in the end having looked closely at the denons, cant really comment on the Yamaha.

have a look at BK subs too www.bkelec.com

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys.

Although deep down I want the R270s, you may have a point Sanders. The speakers will be for something like movies 80% and music 20%, so my head says go for R90s all round...

If I do, should I get the R180 or R225 though? I can get the R90HD10 (with R180 centre and R370 sub) for £2000 including 2 sets of stands. Sound like a decent price? I'd be willing to spend the extra on the r225 centre if it would be a noticeable improvement though...

Cheers

Darren

If you dont go with the deep down feeling you'll only upgrade again in a few months time, thats what I always tell my misses when im buying something :smashin: . The 270s are definitely worth it, might want to bear in mind that the 90s do come with wall mount brackets. Forgot to mention earlier that I got my speakers online from Peter Tyson, if you give them a ring they will do you a good deal. Go for it piano black all the way!

If your budget will stretch that far and you can justify the extra, then maybe you should go for the 270s, especially if you think you will just want to upgrade soon after buying. Feedback I have read on these forums is that they are a good improvement over the 90s, especially if you are listening to a lot of music. I often listen to music from my iPod through my home cinema, and although it certainly isn't the last word in hifi, it is plenty good enough for the room it's in.

However, I assume like most you don't have a bottomless pit of money, so where you draw the line in the sand is up to you really - before you know it you'll be looking at PMCs like I was! Maybe the money saved could be spent adding to or improving the rest of your system?

Ta for the replies,

I'm not sure myself atm if my budget stretches to the floorstanders :) I notice that a lot of people that have the MA speakers don't go for the R370 sub... why's this?

I can't comment on the R370 sub, I have never heard it in action. Maybe there are better options for the money from other manufacturers. It's one area I'm glad I did stretch the budget to get the RSW12 :)

I'VE FINALLY MADE A DECISION!!! :clap::clap::clap:

I'm going for the R270 floorstanders rather R90s all round. Easy choice in the end(don't know why it took me so long to realise it tho:facepalm:)... Because of the layout of my living room I'd need both fronts and rears on stands. These cost £150 per pair, so in reality I'm only spending an extra £150 to get the floorstanders that I really wanted anyway!

So it's R270s up front, R225 centre, R90s at the back. I think I can get the RSW12 sub for £400 in high gloss black to match the rest, therefore saving money on the(probably inferior?) R370 sub. The only issue I have with the sub is that I hope it's not too bulky...

As for the receiver, I think I'll go for the Yamaha 1065. Although the guy at sevenoaks doesn't rate Yamaha's for reliability, I know there are plenty of happy Yammers on this site and elsewhere so I'm happy to go for it.

It's nice to finally have decided what I want to get... It's gonna cost more than I'd planned on originally(like twice the price at least!), but you only live once eh? Thanks to everyone for there advice, it's all been very helpful :thumbsup: The one thing I haven't thought about is what cables I'd be best getting. I think I'll have to start another thread on that now! Feel free to share more of your wisdom!

Cheers

Darren

Good choice!

Re cables QED Micro works well for me, good for under the carpet, my rears are on the wall high up, this cable also works very well just under the coving, looks like a shaddow!

A vote for vandamme blue from me (although it would be useless under carpet).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom