MA R720, MA RSW12, BK XLS200 or Gemini?

Black20VT

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a complete new AV system from TV, Amp, Blu-Ray & Sub.

I've 3 out of 4 sorted, with the speakers being the last thing to sort.

I've a thread going over in speakers, but have come here for more specific advice on the sub.

I do have a limited budget, but 'could' push it for the right items. Although I'm still fine tuning the speakers, I've 'almost' shortlisted the sub selection to the MA R720, MA RSW12 or BK XLS200 or even the Gemini?

What would people recommend for a 50/50 split on music in a 5m by 4m room?

Any advice/comments very welcome!

Thanks.

It'd be the RSW12 without a doubt for me, but it depends on price.

What deal have you seen?

It'd be the RSW12 without a doubt for me, but it depends on price.

What deal have you seen?

You can get them for half price if you phone the dealers --- £375 rather than £750 --- I gave in and ordered one! :)

Any specific reason, other than it matches the rest of your kit?

In short, why not the BK Monolith?

I thought about going in that direction, in fact it would have helped as I could have put the purchase off for a little while; The RSW12 will soon be gone at that price :)

I read a lot of posts and see people posting on how big a bang or thumping base they get from their sub and I sometimes get the impression that they are more interested in listening to how loud a noise their sub makes rather than than listening to the overall sound. To my taste, the sub should support the oveall sound rather than dominate it. Because of that, it made sense to get one that was designed to work with the rest of the MA range. I also noticed that it gets good reviews as a sub in it's own right to br used with any system (what HIFI 5 star)

No sub dominates if it's set up correctly, no matter how powerful it is.
The Monolith does have that bit extra though.

But no worries, there was no hidden meaning.
The RSW12 is a good choice :smashin:

Not sure about WHF's ratings though.
Didn't it give the Monolith 4?

That was embarrassing, imo.

I was genuinely just wondering, that's all :smashin:

And I'm sidetracking the thread somewhat.
Apologies.

No sub dominates if it's set up correctly, no matter how powerful it is.

But no worries, there was no hidden meaning.

I was genuinely just wondering, that's all :smashin:

And I'm sidetracking the thread somewhat.
Apologies.

No problem, happy to explain my reasoning and I was undecided as to wheather to go for the MA or the monolith for a while. Hope I made the right call! :D

Agree on the setup thing BTW.

Oh, to the OP;

Even the RSW 12 won't be too much in your size room :smashin:

Big subs might involve more work, integration-wise as the lower/louder they go, the more problems they can cause.
But it's worth it, trust me, especially for films ;)

Oh, to the OP;

Even the RSW 12 won't be too much in your size room :smashin:

Big subs might involve more work, integration-wise as the lower/louder they go, the more problems they can cause.
But it's worth it, trust me, especially for films ;)

And you've just reminded me --- another consideration was that I didn't have much flexibility as to where I could place the sub especially a big one!

I was told that people did a test on the RSW12, and its base drop off very fast below 27Hz, but BK Monolith will go below 20Hz.
However, at that frequency, you can't heard it but feel it, specialy good for movie.

and BK Monolith is rather big compared to RSW12.

Thanks for the input guys, makes for interesting reading.

But, I think I've discounted the MA RSW12 due to cost, as the speaker and sub costs seem to be spiralling and I need to control it a little more and think up to £300 will get me a good sub.

But then again, is the extra £75 going to get me a sub 'that much better' than and £300?

Is the RSW12 that much better than other subs? The XLS200 seems to get good reviews around here too.

sorry to add to the mix:D but if ur after a compact sub that performs very well.... on a budget, give David a call at Frank Harvey.... i bought an X/D r370HD for half price, they are grade A1 and i seriously couldnt tell what the issue was with it.... looked fab! and sounds...... lovely :)

put the opening scene of 'man on fire' on and it rocked straight from the box.... not the distortive bass that subs at this price (except bk) are capable of... real clean output.... swept effortlessly across an open plan room....

for the money well impressed.... and the fact it was ready to ship straight away and with full 3yr MA warranty.... in gloss black, gosh!! i want one too!!:cool:

switched over to internet radio where a dub-step session was blasting away.... and although some posters will comment on musical abilities of subs, it really kept up well.... fast and agile, really held on.... no complaints from me:) and that goes for all the subs i use for music;)

nice one:smashin:

How much you can define a sub as good though, directly relates to its price, especially with the critics around here. If its half price it's probably hard to disagree with you, but at full RRP probably hard to agree. Its all relative, and part of that equation also relates to what you have previously experienced.

Not disagreeing with you mate, but just trying to put some perspective on your comments :smashin:. One reason some people may not approve of the R720 might be what they have heard themselves, and especially considering comparable pricing. At half price though, you simply cant grumble with almost any sub.

hi:)

its not the 720.... which i did hear and sounded very poor in comparison.... they are being cleared out at a price i still wouldnt entertain:)

the r370hd is an all new sub, with 10 inch downward firer and 250 watt amp and rubber feet:D :

Your Speaker - R370HD | Monitor Audio

yes, i agree for 500 quid.... no chance! but for the 250 i paid, all day long... id go as far to say it integrated better than an sb12 straight out of the box, so for a quick start.... it really is superb! and truthfully, i rang Olive at BK first as i reckon its the same as a gemini but she couldnt furnish straight away, but as a favour was wiling to ship an xls200 in gloss black... but then i found this and for 80 quid less, im a very happy bunny.... and as some may recall, i also own an sb12 and cylinder:smashin:.... and iv had a few others here and there, so comparisons are quite easy for me :)

nice one:smashin:

As the MA RSW12 dropped from my list, the MA 370HD came in after conversations with Frank Harvey.

How does this compare with the MA R720, BK XLS200 & Gemini? They're all within £100 of each other, so what do people think is the best option?

FYI - Paired with a Denon 1910 and 'potentially', MA RS6's...

hi quick pecking:

bottom: 720
joint 2nd: gem and 370
top: xls200

:)

I'd go for the BK Monolith and take any possible questions out of the equation, as long as you can live with the size, no question.

Ok, XLS200 is a firm favourite. :thumbsup:

I see they have two versions and suspect the DF would be the better option for me, but is there any difference between the two from a user point of view?

I know they say it's the same, but are they really the same?

What do most people use here?

Also, do people know if the High Level Input can be used with a Denon 1910 AMP?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I've spent a few hours researching and speaking on the phone to people and can get the RSW-12 for £375 as mentioned.

Previously I was going to go for the XLS200 for £300, but should I spend the extra £75 and get the RSW-12 or stick with the XLS200?

They'll be paired with either MS R270HD's, or MS RS6's and either a Denon 1910 AMP, or Yamaha 1065.

Any/all comments welcome!

Thanks.

Personally, I would probably still go with the BK, based on my love of Rels and the Rel-BK connection. When I demo'd the RSW-12 I wasnt blown away, but then your quoted price is almost half the original RRP IIRC, which you really can't argue with, and price/performance is everything when demo'ing, so perhaps I would have a different opinion now.

Toughie that one :confused:

Personally, I would probably still go with the BK, based on my love of Rels and the Rel-BK connection. When I demo'd the RSW-12 I wasnt blown away, but then your quoted price is almost half the original RRP IIRC, which you really can't argue with, and price/performance is everything when demo'ing, so perhaps I would have a different opinion now.

Toughie that one :confused:
Lol, tell me about it. :confused:

Do I go with the £300 sub that gets rave reviews, or a sub worth twice as much which is also a great sub.

I'm tempted to stick with the MA RSW-12 to match with the rest of the MA stuff I plan to get... :lease:

Thanks.

Lol, tell me about it. :confused:

Do I go with the £300 sub that gets rave reviews, or a sub worth twice as much which is also a great sub.

I'm tempted to stick with the MA RSW-12 to match with the rest of the MA stuff I plan to get... :lease:

Thanks.
Well the MA sub look the business, has a good sized driver and a good amount of power, so on paper it tick the boxes. I highly expect you to be just as happy with either sub.

Go with the MA then mate. There's really not much to choose between the subs on paper if anything, and it's nice to have a complete matching set. The MA is by no means a bad sub, and I wouldnt be unhappy with it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom