MA R270 Size is wrong, what to do?

lordal

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of a pickle and would like some advice or thoughts on what to do for the best.

I bought a pair of Monitor Audio radius 270's from a chap on ebay after having a look on Ma's Uk website and measuring up. The speakers arrived and I was a bit concerned about the box size, huge! The speakers look fine and dandy, though I can't test them yet as I'm still pondering which amp to get.

My fears were realized when upon unpacking them I found they would not fit by the side of my cabinet (it's the only place I can put them) they need to be about an inch slimmer. After re-checking the website I found that the dimensions stated are way out, 12 inches taller than specified and about two inches wider etc!

After a couple of emails to Monitor Audio the nice lady has said the only thing they can do to help as a goodwill gesture would be to replace them with two R225's (old version as far as I can tell).

So my options seen to be replace them with smaller (not as good?) speakers, buy a smaller cabinet for my gear or attempt to raise the speakers above the skirting board so they rest on that, though I'm not sure there would still be enough room...

They are the piano black one's (none HD) by the way.
The specs are still wrong on the site.

Any advice/thoughts appreciated,

Al

The R225's have identical drivers to the R270, but the R270 benefits from being a larger box, the bass level on them is superior to the 225's.

Even if MA gave you the stands for the 225's (which they probably wouldn't) they would still be unsuitable for floor standing, unless you can put them on your cabinet.

Just four allen bolts hold the base on, but it would make them very unstable and easy to knock over. If the spikes could be transferred from the base to the speaker it would help, but I'd still be wary.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the replies.
MA did say they would supply the stands for the 225's, but I suspect if I went down that route I would wall mount them.

MA also said that the plinths don't come off, though to me there seems to be screwholes to enable them to be removed, but I suspect they would be a bit too wobbly.

I think what we are going to try as a first attempt is to make a slot in each skirting board and see if sneaking the plinth into those will free up enough room to squeeze them both in. They would be quite cramped but hopefully that won't affect performance (it's a relatively small room and after tv speakers....).

I was intending getting a R225 as a center speaker, if I wall mount the Plasma (42") would it be a bad thing to have the speaker above the tv rather than below? I don't want to be digging into the wall, Sheffield brick is a nightmare!

Thanks,
Alan

TBH my advice would be to leave your skirting boards intact and go with the 225 option from MA. I run a pair of 270's so I know what I'm talking about.

The 270's under perform by quite a margin if they are sat either side of your tv. I ran mine like that for about 6 months and then a jig around made me move them to either side of the living room. They are now spaced a good 3 meters apart and they have space around them to breathe, and they perform so much better. The bass that comes from them is so much better now and that is the whole point of opting for the floor standing versions.

IMO you may as well go for the 225 as positioning the 270s either side of the tv will prevent the extra bass they are capable of from showing itself. By going with the 225s you will be getting the same quality sound but they will suit your home better and you wont notice the slight lack of bass production from the 270 speakers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Just noticed these are the black 270's. I'm after a pair of these.

Thank you
Keir

Last edited:
Thanks Moonfly, interesting point. I was influenced somewhat by the chap who sold them to me as he also had some R225's and said not to really consider them as an alternative (after he had sold them to me so not a sales pitch!).

But I guess it does depend on where they are set up, I was trying to think of the future as well, I'm a 24/7 carer at the mo and at some point I will be moving house so hopefully I will have more room for my setup, which is a bit of a factor.

Might have a better idea once I get an amp set up to hear them too!

I will have a ponder, to the folks who are wanting to buy them, I do want to give them a try first (to make sure they work for one thing..) but if you want to let me know how much you would offer that would give me some idea of a plan B.

Cheers,
Al

Well to make my point, and to best allow you make you decision this is how I think you should make you decision. The Radius range is a cracking speaker excellent for HT and will sound great with any amp. The 270's will perform the same as the 225s either side of you tv making them a pointless extra expense if tats were they are going to live forever.

If moving them further apart is truly going to be an option then they will be a worthwhile investment as the 225s will perform slightly under the 270s in this position. The extra bass improves the mid range and bottom end and what you end up with is a speaker that is equal to the 25 for movies, but better with music. How you use your system for music and movies may also be worth taking into account but I think this should better allow you to make your decision.

As with all style speakers they are better for movies than music but if music does play a part in your listening the 270s are the best in the range to put up front for this. Other characteristics of the speakers are that they prefer a softer acoustic environment but you'll notice this for yourself. They are a very good speaker and I really enjoy mine, plus my bro is after a pair to add to his system after I let him demo mine for a couple weeks so there are plenty of people that love them.

Use the information Ive given you to decide now if you should swap them for the 225s as a free swap isnt going to be put on the table again, and its very good of MA to offer this.

I'd be interested in buying these too if your selling them but seeing as im second in on that one its only right i get any offer of sale second, still I would be very interested sould you decide to sell tem later down the line :smashin:. I think somewhere around the 200 to 250 mark is a fair price.

I will have a ponder, to the folks who are wanting to buy them, I do want to give them a try first (to make sure they work for one thing..) but if you want to let me know how much you would offer that would give me some idea of a plan B.

Cheers,
Al

Hi Al,

I have cash waiting and can pick up today dependng on your location.

I think forum rules would require you to actually post a price for these.

Out of interest, how much did you get them off the guy on e-bay?

Let me know if you decide to sell as really would like them.

Thank you
Take it easy (I know it's not an easy decision)
Keir

Last edited:
You'll have to bear with me folks for a bit, as I have got to buy an amp before I can have a listen for myself!

I paid £280 for them delivered, the other colours I know you can get cheaper but these were the only black one's I have seen. Apparently they have only been used for 10 hours from new.

I'll update here as things progress.

Cheers,

Al

All,
Just a reminder that no trading or even any particular discussion must take place outside the trading forums. Lordal, clearly there is interest in your R270's from a couple of members here. If you decide to sell them, then you will need to create a for-sale thread in the relevant trading forum. You have a right in that for-sale thread to give first refusal to the members who have posted in this thread indicating interest if you wish to do so.

You can update your signature ('Quick Links' button, then 'Edit Signature') to show what you have for sale inc link to trading thread if you want as many people to see your item as possible.

You can PM the members who have expressed interest just to advise that you have created a for-sale thread (no discussion / trading can be done over PM itself - rules are here for everyone's protection).

Once a sale is agreed in a trading thread, you can then move to PM.

Hope that sets things clearly

Dan.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom