MA Centre speaker dilema

garyjd

Standard Member
Hi All,

I'm looking to replace my centre speaker and given I have MA RS6 L&R I'm looking for an MA centre. I have limited room to fit a centre speaker, 14cms height available. The MA Apex is 14cm so it might squeeze in, the 225HD would fit for sure but how well would it go? I have heard both and have to admit there was a difference between the two with the Apex the better sounding speaker.

Thoughts please?

Also both speakers have little rubber feet and I'd have to take those off the Apex to have any chance of fitting it in.

Cheers

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I take it you plan to put the speaker in a cabinet?
If so this is less than ideal and I certainly would not take the feet of the Apex to get it to fit as this will make the situation worse. Speakers do not (in general) like being put in cabinets or on shelves etc.
Is there any way you could wall mount the speaker above the TV instead?
I would say go for the Apex as it will be more in keeping in terms of quality with your current speakers but if that will not fit then the Radius would be fine.

garyjd

Standard Member
Strange you should mention where it would be housed, I asked the exact same question when I listened to them today, the guy didn't see any issue with it. It's an open cabinet as in no rear except for a small centre support. The MA's are also front ported so wouldn't this help? No option of wall mounting unfortunately.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Front ported will help but speakers are designed to work with free space around them. Even though it is front ported it will still radiate sound around the entire speaker i.e. back and sides. If it is in a cabinet then this sound will interact with the cabinet and this is not conducive to the best sound quality. Now it may well be acceptable but will not be the best the speaker can do.

garyjd

Standard Member
You got me thinking about this now and I see it's a fairly common dilema (small comfort).
I've been tolerating my existing centre on the bottom shelf for too long, I used to stand it on a table in front of the AV cabinet.
So I guess this raises the question, is it worth paying $1000Aus for the MA Apex 40 or $600 for the 225 when it will have to sit in on a shelf in a cabinet. The 225 would have a bit more room around it.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom