MA Bronze or these Jamo Speakers - Which is best

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by ggg666, Sep 20, 2007.

1. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been browsing this forum for a while now and there are certainly plenty of people on here that know a lot more about this than me. I'm relatively new to this so here's hoping to save myself a lot of time learning and get some good pointers...

I'm buying the Onkyo TX-SR605 and while I like my movies, I would listen to music a lot more often.

I was going to buy this Jamo system as this was my max budget.
    this system from Jamo for £667

But now I'm contemplating the Monitor Audio Bronze AV Package, details and spec here Price I've got is £900

Can someone help me decipher the specs to see how the Jamo stacks up. Following specs are for the floorstanders which I expect are most important for music.. any advice much appreciated. There's no decent audio shop near me so I have to go on reviews until I narrow it down....

::::::::::::::::::
    JAMO S 606
    ::::::::::::::::::

Specifications:
    system 3-way bassreflex
    Woofer (inch/mm) 8 / 203
    Midrange (inch/mm) 2 x 5 / 127
    Tweeter (inch/mm) 1 / 25
    Sensitivity (dB - 2,8V / 1m) 89
    Impedance (Ohm) 6
    Weight (kg/lb) 24.1 / 53.1
    Dimensions (HxWxD/mm/in) 1080x190x345 / 42.5x7.5x13.6
    Frequency Range 42-20,000
    powerLongTerm 130
    powerShortTerm 210

:::::::::::::::::::::
    MONITOR AUDIO BR5
    :::::::::::::::::::::

Frequency Response +/- 3dB 36 Hz - 30 KHz
    Sensitivity ([email protected]) 90dB
    Nominal Impedance (Ohms) 6
    Power Handling R.M.S (W) 120
    Recommended Amplifier Requirements R.M.S (W) 30-120
    Cabinet Design
    Cabinet Design Dual chamber bass reflex – Ported front and rear
    Drive Unit Complement 1 x 5.5" MMP® II Bass 1 x 5.5" MMP® II Bass mid-range, 1 x 1" (25mm) Gold Dome C-CAM® tweeter
    External Dimensions (cm)
    H x W x D 85 x 16.5 x 24.7
    External Dimensions (inches) H x W x D 33 7/16 x 6 1/2 x 9 3/4
    Individual Weight Kg (lb) 11.5 (25.3)
    Weight Packaged Kg (lb) 14 (30.8) (Packed Individually)

2. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, have to say I'm surprised no one have chipped in with some advice.

Am I right in assuming that the MA speakers have a lower bass and higher treble based on the frequency response, and in theory should be a better speaker?

Monitor Audio - Frequency Response +/- 3dB 36 Hz - 30 KHz

JAMO - Frequency Range 42-20,000

I know the real test is to listen but I as I say there is not store nearby, well for 100 miles at least...

3. maix27

maix27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hiya mate,

I haven't heard the Jamos, but i can safely say you won't be disapointed with the BRs. The treble is beautiful, probably the best tweaters i have heard in near enough any price range and the bass is nice and rounded, not overpowering. And they look the dogs!! They'll work well for music too, Monitor Audio are still a strong defender of musical fidelity, even in a 5.1 system (which is only really a 2.1 with extra speakers anyway!)

I'm hooking my BR6s up to a NAD M3 dual mono beast this weekend, i'm excited!

4. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply,

I've heard good things about the B5 floorstanders from a music point of view alright.

My wife doesn't agree about the looks but I can get around that.... I hope

5. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Hi GGG666,
    Must admit I've not hear the Jamo's myself, but I'd like to point out that the Jamo Frequency response figures may be well under what they are stated as. Reason I say this is that the Monitor Audio spec shows what frequency range it will reproduce before losing 3dB of sound and the Jamo figure doesn't show the measuring criteria (+/-3dB or +/-06dB or even (unlikely) +/-12dB

The important thing about the frequency range given is about what happens at the far reaches of the frequency range.

On the MA BR5's, it shows that the point where the sound gets pretty quiet is around 36Hz, which is in low bass territory. The sound tails off at the high frequency by 3dB at 30Khz

The Jamo frequency response is of no use unless you know by what standard it's measured by. Some manufacturers on some of their models show a decent frequency response but sneakily measure on 6dB meaning that the point where the sound tails off by 3dB is in fact some way before that bottom or top figure. It's a way to make a speaker look better than it is.

Also, I can see the specs on Jamo's site show the power capability in Maximum power and not RMS power, so I'd think this is masking the tru figures too.

Personally unless I could demo the Jamo's, I'd personally be a little wary if counting the specs against another set with standard-measurements that give a clear idea of the speakers specs...

At your price level it seems MA Bronze series & also Acoustic Energy Evo's are a good place to be looking, though of cousre don't discount any other options .

Just my 2p.

Dan.

6. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a bit of trouble getting my head around the frequency range but think I get it. Even if the Jamos were measured at +/-3dB then I assume the range is still not as impressive as the MAs. At +/-6dB then its worse again.... So on that basis the MAs would seem better...

7. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Different viewpoint here but IMO choosing speakers, or even which to audition based on specs is a waste of time. The lower bass response is pretty irrelevant and usually misleading. The upper frequencies are even more irrelevant as us humans cannot hear >20Khz, indeed because I have too much grey hair I cannot hear much above 12Khz.

Sticking a speaker in an anechoic chamber and feeding a sine wave to measure "performance" for the data sheet gives no clue as to how it will sound for music, movies or anything.

You cannot avoid auditioning, or if this is tricky you can pretty well work out which are the favoured designs on this forum.

8. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fair point and I fully agree, I need to listen to them... but that's not possible.

Thought I might be lucky and someone could give an experience based opinion about the Jamo speakers as there are plenty of reviews about MA.

This forum tends towards a lot of reviews or preference of British made speakers IMO, a lot less about Jamo who seem to sell through fewer outlets..

9. Dankeech

Dankeech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Not quite.

The MA's were measured by a strict measure of +/- 3dB
    The Jamo's have no measurement stated.
    The best you can hope for is the frequency response quoted by Jamo is
    based on only losing 3dB, in which case you can just compare the figures
    of the Jamo's with those of the MA's which are measured as
    +/-3dB.

It might however be the case that Jamo measured the frequency response
    against 6dB which is going to give them an unrealistically high and
    misleading good frequency response spec.

Without knowing how Jamo measured the frequency response (+/-3Db or
    a was easier measurement (+/-6dB etc) the you just can't compare

The question worth wondering is that do/did Jamo:
    1> forget to put in the +/-dB measuring level by accident?
    2> did they leave it out deliberately and use a less stringent measurement
    in order to make an underspecced speaker look better?:confused:

I do agree with the points raised by Iainsilvester regarding to demoing, and regarding the result of sine waves being sent through a speaker not accuratelt showing you how a speaker performs, but as you've mentioned you can't demo, I'm advising you in essence that MA is showing you all proper specs for a speaker that is reknowned for being a great speaker in it's class and you're taking a big risk going for another speaker, especially if at the first hurdle all is not what it seems.

By all means if you could demo the Jamo set against the MA set, perhaps it's in fact even better contrary to specs(which may or may not be measured against industry-standard measurement), it's just that if you can't demo, the MA's don't really represent the risk factor that the Jamo's do.

All advice on this thread should be taken into account, you'd be unwise to follow the info I've (or any other single member has) given

Dan.

10. iainsilvester

iainsilvester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    sorry, missed this in your OP

11. ggg666

ggg666
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no worries.

thank you both for the advice. been doing some more research. im gonna get the ma and can return them if im not happy (from what i've read, unlikley)

wrong forum i know but any pointers on best multi region dvd to go with this.100 pound budget?

12. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Jamo have made some very good speakers over the years as have MA, but to be honest i'd say MA have had the lions share of good equipment released in recent years.......and im not just saying that because I own an all MA setup from home cinema to stereo hifi...lol

firstly, if this is for a 5.1 system, dont worry too much about where the bass tails off as you will be using a subwoofer for anything below 80hz anyhow.....unless you want to just use the stereo pair when its for music, in which case again dont stress too much over the differences, its unlikely either pair will sound that much deeper than the other.....at that cut off point around 40-45hz it often sounds similar to the human ear, only time you notice extra depth is when speakers hit down to the 30hz range......

as for the upper freq cut off around 30hz, whilst the human ear may not actually hear above certain freqs (usually around 16hz for the average adult) those higher freqs still affect the freqs you do hear by resonance, the same that they do in real life......which is part of the reason that the DVD-A/SACD recordings sound more realistic, not just because there is more info, but also because there is more of the info that you would get in real life when something is played live.....

if you cant demo, i'd say play safe and go with the MA's, but its more likely folks on this forum will say that as Jamo arent really a brand thats had much headlining in recent years in the UK, many years ago they were well respected for a variety of ranges, but they seemed to quieten down for a bit in respect to releases.....