MA Bronze 5 (Floor) vs MA Silver 100 (Book)

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Joey Deacon, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey all,

I have a dilemma and hope that someone may be able help?

I am looking at buying a 5.1 system for 50/50 movie and music use. After much research I have decided on the following…

Yamaha RX-V650 Receiver (depending on reviews)
    Monitor Audio Bronze Centre
    Monitor Audio Bronze FX
    BK XXLS400 Sub

The part I am struggling with is deciding on what is the best option for front speakers? I have narrowed it down to either Monitor Audio Bronze 5 (floorstanding) or Monitor Audio Silver 100 (bookshelf).

This is essentially a decision between what is better between a ‘higher spec’ bookshelf and a ‘lower spec’ floorstanding? Does anybody have an idea of the pro’s & con’s of these speakers in relation to each other? The room size is about 6.5 meters by 3.6 meters, will this indicate a benefit to floorstanding speakers?

Any help or suggestions very much appreciated

2. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Can you listen them (compare) at some dealer near you? It might haunt you later on if you don`t do it. I imagine almost every MA dealer will let you demo both if they have them in shop.

Silver serie shines more on music which is quite easy to notice with more detail and just sweeter overall plus they do look much more expensive (wood veneer vs vinyl). Some might say they would need better receiver to get most out of them, which i don`t doubt, but that would be poor excuse to buy lower serie speakers for almost same price! Most of people buy speakers and keep them for +5years. Receivers come and go with new features, speakers are still most important and you want to buy the best you can afford! What i remember reading here some members who have heard Silvers noticed the "higher" sound quality on 2ch music listening, but with movies the differences aren`t as pronounced. It`s no secret that Bronze serie is very good with movies for the price! There is one professional review of large tower speaker blind test with measurements and Bronze 5 came top beating all the popular ones. So it ain`t no slouch with music either!

Silver 100s are large standmount speaker which were loved by AVForums Ed Selley and also WhatHifi. They should be placed similar as floorstanders, out from walls to sound best! Remember the drivers and audio crossover parts are higher quality as is also the cabinet with Silver serie. Read these if you haven`t yet;
    https://www.avforums.com/review/monitor-audio-silver-100-hifi-speaker-review.14139
    https://www.whathifi.com/monitor-audio/silver-100/review

I think you have some error there with the Yamaha model. Anyway if budget would allow i would look Denon X3400H (lowest) for partnering with the Silvers if you go that route. You could add dedicated stereo amp for music listening later if you feel so and get more from the speakers with 2ch listening. Price should drop soon to 499£. This model is battling with Yamaha RX-A870 (699£)!

Silver Centre C150 is also technically better than Bronze Centre, 2.5 way has some advantages. Do remember that it´s recommend to get matching center so that would add cost a bit. We have members with Silvers on front and Bronzes on surrounds, so mixing those shouldn`t be problem!

For the XXLS400 you can find it 390£ + 10£ delivery as grade-b! New with full warranty and 100% positive feedbacks, nobody has mentioned founding any marks. So yeah little saving can be done there if they got the colour you want (need to contact Colossusx via ebay)! Also P12-300SB is good option for 330£ + 10£ if money is running tight, shares same cabinet with XXLS400.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/colosussxb/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Long story short. Please go listen both with the receiver you are buying, it will give you the answers you are looking for!

3. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  4. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    As much as i love Yamahas (own one and old one is going strong after +10years) i wouldn´t buy 2018 model as you are paying for the little extra features mostly. Internals have stayed same for many years now. This time of year is the best time to buy receiver and especially last year model with great savings!

Yamaha RX-V685 - 649£! This is way overpriced as it competes directly with Denon X2500H! And X2400H can be had for 299£ (soon)! But if you noticed i mentioned X3400H after price drop for 499£. This would be lowest model i would look with Silvers. Most of people would probably get something like Denon X4400H (829£) with Silvers, but if you are going to use your system only as 5.1 the X3400H should have plenty of power available and the features are as good as it gets for the low money!
    Denon AVR-X3400H
    Denon AVR-X4400H

If you would want Yamaha receiver which is competing with X3400H you would be looking at A1070 which costs 899£! That`s quite big jump in price, which makes the 4000 serie Denon much better bang for buck!
    Yamaha RX-A1070 Aventage AV Receiver

Please do listen both speaker models with different material and preferably with the receiver you are going to buy! Keep us posted about your findings! :smashin:

Edit. Forgot to mention if you buy receiver + speakers same time you should get some extra discount!

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  5. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh dear Gasp, that's bad news about my Receiver choice - but really valuable information. I really like the MusicCast feature, hence why I was swaying towards Yamaha.

I will have a look and see what deals I can get on an RX-A1070 with Silver 100 and Silver Centre C150. My budget is definitely under £2000 for a 5.1 plus receiver. I have a Yamaha YSP 2700 so I may be able to trade that in for a decent price.

Ultimately I am looking for a 5.1 system that I can upgrade to Atmos in the near future.

Obviously you can't beat hearing them for yourself but, it is really helpful to speak to someone knowledgeable about these things. Your advise and help is the first step in getting the best possible setup in my price range.

6. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    Have you read about the Denon HEOS?

" Enjoy your favourite music anywhere – and everywhere – around your home. Share music stored on your home network, Internet radio or streaming services with HEOS wireless speakers, or even other HEOS-capable receivers, throughout the house. Control it all with the free HEOS app. Enjoy music from Spotify, TuneIn Internet radio, Sound Cloud, Tidal, Napster, Deezer or Amazon Music.

The AVR-X3400H's built-in HEOS technology allows you to stream your favourite music wirelessly around your home to any other HEOS speaker. "
    AVR-X3400H | Multichannel amplifier with 3D sound

Keep in mind that with X3400H and A1070 you are limited to 5.2.2 Atmos system! Marantz SR6012 (749£) and Denon X4400H (829£) will do 5.2.4 out of box and 7.2.4 with external 2ch amp. The last number tells you how many ceiling/height/upfiring speakers you can have.

Click 1 or 2 (on black spot) to show upfiring/ceiling speakers location and think what could be possible in your room;
    Dolby Atmos 5.1.2 Speaker Setup
    Dolby Atmos 5.1.4 Speaker Setup

7. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks gasp, you have really given me something to think about regarding the receiver.

I will do some research on HEOS vs Musiccast as that might be the deciding factor.

8. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +638
  9. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info Shane,

Do you think the Yamaha RX-V685 will be able drive the Silver 100 speakers?

If the RX-V685 isn't doing the Silver 100 speakers justice, I will need to make a decision between Denon AVR-X3400H/X4400H & Yamaha A1070/A2070. A number of people seem to suggest that the Yamaha has a slight edge in terms of clarity with music?

I plan to listen to both AV's, but I welcome any thoughts on the Yamaha vs Denon debate?

10. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Although the RX-V685 is a little on the low side to hear all the qualities of the Silver's, you will still hear a marked difference between them and the bronze series sonically.

As for the amplifier upgrade, I always say that trusting your own ear's is key, If you enjoy the sound from your Yamaha, I suspect that the A-2070 will be the one you end up with. The Denon X4400H is a great product though as is the A2070. Both have a difference audible experience with the Yamaha having it's traditional family sound in the same way that Denon.

For me, if its music and cinema, then the A-2070, if its cinema alone then the X4400H. But again, if you are able to hear either of these amp's, do trust your own ear's. One last thing to add is that neither of these two amps are slouches and will certainly bring a lot of joyous life to those Silver 100's

11. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Shane,

I think my mind is made up on the A2070.

Does anybody know the difference between the Monitor Audio Silver C150 & C350 (centre speaker)?

Is the C350 much better? I will be using it with a pair of Silver 100's.

12. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    With you looking at the 100's, the natural partner is the C350, although it's a big beast, so if you can accommodated it, do choose it, if not then the C150 is still a capable centre channel and the A2070 has the ability to make it work without to much difficulty :)

13. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmmm I think placement might be the issue.

Do you know if the C350 can be placed on the floor under the TV? If angled upwards slightly will it significantly degrade the sound, or will I be better off with a C150 placed correctly?

14. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Nooooo!!! Worse possible placement for any centre speaker, regardless of price. You would be better of with a well placed 150 rather than a 350 sitting on the floor. If you have room then mouningt the 350 on a stand would be all the better.

15. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    @gibbsy is correct, if you cannot fit the C350 at the right level, then the C150 in the right place will certainly beat the C350 in the wrong place. As I mentioned before, the matching speaker with the Silver 100's is the C350, but if you cannot accommodate it as it is huge, then with the A2070, the C150 will be fine :D

16. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey thanks for the info Gibbsy & Shane, I will deffo not be placing a C350 on the floor then.

Do you think it will sound any better on a shelf over the TV? (pointing slightly downwards)

17. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Another totally ridiculous question........... I think that the C350 and C150 may be too big and unsightly, do you think I can get away with the Center speaker from the Apex range?

Will there be a massive difference in sound quality between the Silver range and Apex? I listen to movies & music 50/50.

Thanks all

18. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +727
    It wouldn`t be 100% tonal match as Apex serie uses older Silver tech. C150 is 2.5way design which is slightly better than 2way (Apex A40) MTM when designed right. With the right MA dealer you could try this mixing. So on paper Silver C150 is the better one and better match to other new Silver speakers, plus also cheaper (375£ vs. 499£).

There is many people who has center channel top of tv and angled to shoot downwards with good results. If the other option would be place to it too low, i think this one is better. Of course if you could wall mount the tv, then chances are you could get it at the right spot just under the tv / close to seated ear height.

19. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,669
    Above and angled down is certainly a very good workaround. Almost everyone, unless they build a dedicated room, has to make some compromises to get the results and layout they want. Here's mine:
    165315424.7JqH7i6z.jpg

20. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    The Apex was based on the last Gold Reference speakers to use a metal domed tweeter (Monitor Audio GS Series), The modern Radius are more in line with the Silver's with the tweeters taken from an older silver series. The drivers though are completely different and don't have any depth required to give a good match. So, if you cannot accommodate the either of the Silver Centre speakers, neither the Apex or the Radius would be a perfect match even when using the A2070. So from that point, you would have to accept that from this point onwards is that you would have to compromise the system slightly in order to gain your wish to own and experience a surround sound system.

For me, the Apex has a richer ability than the Radius which would make it myy choice if I had to compromise, but both lose out the C150 on overall ability and this is purely down to its physical size and the fact that it has a better crossover system thanks to the way Monitor Audio has evolved the silver series.

21. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Big thanks Gasp, Shane & Gibbsy! That is massively helpful.

I will digest that info and hopefully make the right decision between aesthetics and sound quality.

It sounds like mixing the Apex with the Silver range is definitely not the way to go.

22. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Does anyone have any experience with the A10's?

If I went for Silver 100's with C150 and 2x pairs of A10's, will that be a balanced system?

Will the A10's be an improvement over 2x pairs of Bronze FX's?

23. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Spending the extra money on the A10's for rear's really isn't justified. I would just stick to the Silver FX speakers and replace the Bronze FX speakers.

If you are trying to create an Atmos solution, maybe look at some upward firing Elac Atmos Speakers

If you're creating a 7.1, see how the system sounds with the front three upgraded and then decide after that. The A10's will work, but as I've mentioned before, they will sound richer due to them using the older Gold GS series tweeters than the Radius which use the Silver series tweeters

24. Joey Deacon

Joey Deacon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Do you think that the Silver FX will be good enough for music?

My only worry about the FX is placement, I have no wall on the right and a room length window on the left.

Do the FX need to be fixed to a wall to reach full potential or will they be ok on stands just behind a sitting position?

25. ShanePJ

ShanePJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    What type of music are you going to be listening to or are you going to let the amp create all-channel stereo?

I for one still use my amp in direct mode for stereo which removes any unwanted processing and keeps the sound a near to what it ought to be as is possible on amp. from this point, it should fill the front of the room and create a spacious experience across the wall the feeling of hearing where the musician's are playing if the studio artist got his sums right when producing the album, this will also depending upon the recording.

If you cannot place both FX speakers in similar places in the room, then I would go with free standing bookshelf speakers similar to the Silver 50's to suit your other speakers. The FX speakers are great for surround sound and you can place them to the rear of the room even if the sofa is placed on the back wall. Obviously the sound will be better if you can move the seating away from the wall a little, but not everyone is that luxury.