1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M7DS surround positioning and 6.1 question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the Mission M72 home cinema speaker set, which comprises of M72 mains, M7C1 centre and M7DS bipole rears.

First question: Due to the layout of my room, I can only place the M7DS rears high up close to the ceiling. Before I invest in adjustable brackets, is it advisable to have those speakers angled downwards (towards the listener) if they're position high up, or should I leave them positioned flush against the wall?

Second question: My AV amp is a Denon 2802 with 6.1, so of course I'm planning to so something about getting an aditional speaker for the 6th (rear centre) channel. Do I get just one speaker (what the amp seems to be made for) or somehow try to connect two speakers into that speaker output? And what type of speakers should I get? I read somewhere not to use two bipoles for centre-rears or that makes the overall surround effects too muffled. They suggest using bookshelf speakers. Would using two rear speakers sound too much mono at the back? Or will using a songle bipole be a good balance? Suggestions please.

2. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    I use the 77DS for side surrounds and have successfully used them up near the ceiling and at head height with no angling required.
    This of course depends how far you are seated from them.
    If you are seated directly under them and they are flush to the wall, it is likely that some of the detail will be lost.

I have also just purchased a pair of 771e's for rear surround duties (£80 from Richer Sounds).
    They are a perfect match for the 77DS sides and 77C1 front (which I also have).
    You will probably have to buy a pair of speakers anyway so you will have the option of connecting 1 or 2 speakers and seeing which sounds best.

These I did angle down as they are tight up against the ceiling and the seating area is not far enough away to warrant them being flush mounted.
    I also tipped them on their sides so they are mounted horizontally at a downward angle of 30 degrees.
    Forget trying to find brackets to do this - there are none.
    What I did is get a small length of chain about 20cm and connect each end of the chain to one of the allen bolts fixing the rear plate (just remove the bolt and put it through one of the links and re-tighten).
    I then fixed a hook to the wall and simply put one of the links on the hook (kind of a 70-30 split on chain length to get the angle).
    Cost me about £2.50 for the chain, works perfectly and is completely invisible as the chain is hidden by the speaker.

Oh, and they sound superb and really increase the soundstage at the back. :D

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How about moving my M7C1 (front centre) as the rear centre speaker, and buying a new M7C2 for to replace it at the front? Would that work out well? Is M7C2 tonally matched with the M72 cinema package?

4. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    both m7c1 & m7c2 are matched with the m7x speakers.. replacing the front with m7c2 is a good move coz its better than the m7c1