1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M72 vs M73

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Dr.Rock, Feb 15, 2002.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am pondering whether to go for the M72 av speaker package or the M73 package for my Denon 2802 amp. Both packages have the same centre + rears speakers (M7C and M7DS) but the difference is obviously in the front speakers - M72 shelf speakers or M73 floorstanding.

What is the difference in sound quality between the M72 and M73 main speakers? What are advantages + disadvantages in whther to go for shelf or floorstanders? I know most people go for floorstanders but I am also considering shelf-speaker for reasons of space. Do shelf-speakers for main-fronts justify a Denon 2802 amp?

Thanks.

2. caylem

caylem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Book yourself a dem at your local AV dealer, the best way is to listen for yourself. Your local AV dealer will be able to run through the specs of the speakers, and maybe offer another alternative.

3. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'd like to see a shelf that big it could hold an m72. The m71's are bookshelf speakers, being small and compact. The m72's are not so small and compact, being stand mounters and not bookshelf speakers.

The m72's won't go well on a shelf, they're large speakers and their best performance is delivered by being put on decent stands. In the end they'll be taking up as much room as a pair of m73's. As said above, listen to each speaker and make your decision on personal preference. I think you'll find the m73's a better choice if you've no subwoofer, providing that extra bit of bass. If you have a sub, the m72 package is probably the better one, but you won't be able to put them on any shelf.

4. alextgreen

alextgreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I'm ded chuffed with my M73s, had them for a couple of months now and I like them more everytime I use them. When my amp (old Yammy DSPA492) is on FULL blast the speakers just sit there, yawn, and wonder when they are going to get some good exercise.

For the money, they are truly outstanding. They'd be bl00dy good at twice the price.

5. Markster

Markster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with alextgreen , the M73's are superb and look the part.
    These will provide more depth/bass than the m72's , so if you dont have a sub these are the better choice.

I guess it also depends if you already have stands. If you do not remember you need to add this onto the cost of the m72's.

I personally would recommend the M73's for the price.