M6 Toll

Saldawop

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading up to Liverpool tomorrow, is it worth using the toll road? Are there any roadworks on the M6 at the moment that would be avoided by using the toll (both directions tomorrow)?

I always use the Toll - its just a much nicer driving experience as there is less traffic. I wish many more of our Motorways were Tolls.

I went down it at Easter coming back from Scotland, I was going to avoid it but a sign at a petrol station just before said "avoid 6 miles of roadworks on the M6 by taking the toll".

A slight irritation is they have a sign to say (more often than not), Toll road all clear.

If they had one about the M6, it would be more helpful.

I never take it. More often than not, I travel out of peak hours, so rarely regret that decision.

The times i have used it both as a passenger and a driver it has always been clear.

I do like the toll road,used to use it regularly,when I didnt have to personally pay for it.Did look on the website and saw ÂŁ3, thought "blimey thats OK, thought it was more expensive than that), then I realised thats the price for motorbikes.Would rather not use it, as I don't like paying to use the roads, or at least not any more than I do already.But would do so if it saves me enough time.

ÂŁ5.50 each way is the current peak cost and it's well worth the expense IMO. The only sticky parts after you get onto the M6 northwards are around Knutsford, Lymm unto the M62 area which can be hellish during peak times.

As mentioned, toll road is normally clear and a nicer drive, you take your chance that the non toll road is clear. Either way m6 has 50 mph average cameras for about 7-8 miles once the roads meet again

Not to mention the Service station on there is one of the better ones on the motorway network (accessible both directions)

I can't complain if more people take it as it makes the M6 clearer. I'm happier with effectively an extra gallon of diesel in the tank.

Both the AA & RAC have live traffic data on their sites (to name but two). So you can make an informed decision at the time of travel.

Thank god the toll doesn’t. I was on it at 7am, clear, dry and sunny. Just me and another chap in an RS3, heaven!

I've also experienced the higher speeds the toll road 'encourages'.
Sitting at illegal speeds myself, all manner of cars going past me at Autobahn type speeds.

The times that I have been down the M6 I have avoided it. I have always found that there is a 50mph limit imposed each time. I am in no rush as a driver, so it never bothered me.

I try and use the M6 Toll most of the time if I can. Always if it is business, probably 80% of the time if it's personal. Especially with the roadworks on the M6 at the moment.

One thing I think they should do is remove the speed limit on the toll. You pay your money, you get to drive at what speed you like. It's such a dead road you can do pretty decent speeds, although there is always a sneaky police car parked along it at some point, I tend to stick to around 75 as it isn't worth the risk.

I've also experienced the higher speeds the toll road 'encourages'.
Sitting at illegal speeds myself, all manner of cars going past me at Autobahn type speeds.

I can imagine it does, pretty straight, perfect road surface and yet to no traffic.

ÂŁ5.50 each way is the current peak cost and it's well worth the expense IMO. The only sticky parts after you get onto the M6 northwards are around Knutsford, Lymm unto the M62 area which can be hellish during peak times.

Damn Knutsford city limits.

Always use it.

The M42 leading to it is a nightmare of road works, average speed limits and sodding cameras. Hit the Toll and it's a camera free oasis of speed.

Always use toll road, agree services very good. Don't want to pay? Don't.

I've been using the M6 toll a lot recently on my journeys from Essex to Burnley, its good to drive on a decent piece of road following the narrow lane roadworks on the M1 and M6.

It also helps that I can now use my company allstar fuel card for payment.

I'm also getting handy at payment and receipt removal in double quick time!

:)

Hardly ever used it. Or needed it to be fair.

As i understand it, it's one of the most expensive toll roads in Europe.

Probably explains why so few use it.

Price has risen a lot in since it opened.

If they made the price a bit more reasonable, more would use it and the owners would probably recoup their costs back faster!

But then you guys who like empy toll roads so you can roll along at non granny state speeds would probably prefer the road to be as deserted as it normally is.:D

But then you guys who like empy toll roads so you can roll along at non granny state speeds would probably prefer the road to be as deserted as it normally is.:D

Agreed.
If it ever became busy, we'd probably be as well sitting staring at Fort Dunlop again, like we used to do.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom