1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m5ds, m77ds, mordantshort 903s

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by craynerd, Oct 23, 2005.

1. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have norrowed it down to these three for my rears. I can get them all second hand for less than £100. Whats your vote ?? (any other recomendations for less £200)

Chris

2. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What amp?
    What music do you listen to?

3. craynerd

craynerd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry never mentioned, amp is Denon 2106, but does the music matter since do u not just use rears for movies and 5.1 ? thought audio was stereo?!?!?!

i listen to punk and rock but g/f who will be equally using the system listens to pop and cheese!!!! basically, it needs a wide range

4. Mentally

Mentally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should know that MS speakers have superb sound when playing classical. Other styles are problematic.

I suggest you take your reciever and listen to the speakers before you buy them. If u can't do it, it's ok these are only the rear speakers, not that critical.

5. thekingbeyond

thekingbeyond

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    m5ds, m77ds, mordant short 903s, my choice would be the 903s they are of a better build quality and they beat the m5ds`s and m77ds`s for movies and sacd or dvd-a music also sound better.Imo i think they are better looking than the mission speakers.
    I am not biased as I have just got rid of some m77ds`s and still own some m5ds`s and 903s`s although i dont use them anymore

6. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I have m7ds and it sounds great, there are no integration problems with my B&W fronts plus i'd say its equaly as good at music as it is in movies, and altohugh rears don't produce much bass i'd say with a well integrated sub they sound fine and certainly give the impression that the bass is coming from them at times.

You should demo if you can, as its often all down to personal preferance and try and demo run in speaker if you can as the new MS may not sound like what they would in time (i.e. they may sound a little harse at first but this usualy subsites).

7. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +117
    I also have the M7ds (not sure if you ment these of the 77ds) and they are certainly reasonable for the price. The M5ds and 77ds were both good speakers (and traditionally considered higher spec than M7) but did have a slightly softer sound.

8. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I got a pair of Wharfdale DFS-18 for £50 from HiFiBitz earlier this year and I rate them.

That offer is gone but these are in your price range:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/product.asp?id=4027

Integration isn't as important with rears as it is with fronts & centres btw.