1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M-S Prem+ / Avant Prem+ difference?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Grif, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Mr Tons Sir.....sorry to be a pain...wonder if you could enlighten me? :blush:
    Many thanks.

2. CMB

CMB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, I'm not Mr Tons, but I've just ordered an Avant Premiere Plus set...

Have a look at the back of Home Cinema Choice magazine - they're their No 1 recommendation in the speaker packages under £1000 - gives a good succinct summary of the sound improvements over the old range. The full review (Five stars) was a few months ago but I haven't found it online.

As part of the Avant range they'll fit in with the other Avant speakers if you ever want to upgrade your system (one of key factors for me buying it).

The new honey maple finish is very nice.

The subwoofer gets cracking reviews.

Not that much more expensive than the old ones, I thought about spending less on the old ones but knowing me I'd spend half my time wondering if/how it would sound better if I'd have spent a bit more on the newer version.

Just my views, no doubt Mr Tons and/or others can give you more details on sound/build differences

3. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    Differences are very small- in fact the acoustic chaps never referred to it as an "Avant" prem. You get the improved driver mount and surround, the new bracing in the sharpened off cabinet and it comes in maple and Vanadium (dark silver) instead of cherr, black and graphite. As CMB says it is also a stylisitic and tonal match to the bigger Avant loudspeakers.
    ToF.

4. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks guys....I ask because Peter Tyson has a stonking deal on the old ones married to the new 309 sub...can I take it that I would hear little difference between this set up and the one with the new sats?
    Thanks

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,330
    There wouldn't be an earth shattering difference, no.

6. Ian Carter

Ian Carter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I bought those and now there run in nicely I think they sound great, and thats just dangling off the end of a modest Denon 1804. Don't think you'd be disappointed.

Read a review whilst thumbing the mags in Smiths at lunchtime, but I can't remember which one and that set got 90% and all the stars - Price quoted at 575 too.