M&K Xenon vs Monitor Audio Silver

Deadmeat1st

Established Member
Reaction score
Simple enough question really - which is better for movies? The sub/sat system or the full range?

I need to buy a new package for my dedicated (but small) AV room (4m (l)x3m (w)x 2m(h)). I've worked out a Xenon package consisting of some new and ex-demo/display units, Xenon SR26 (pair), KX-12 and Xenon LCR26x3 for approx £1150 or with Xenon LCR36x3 for £1640. This compares with a Silver package new for about £1400-£1500 in the sales?

What works best in my room size and as an overall AV package?

I think the silver package would work very well. I demo'd satellites (A. Gallo) and although they were pretty good, it was still very obvious they were satellites. My room isn't much bigger than yours (about 12ft x 11ft) and I use the speakers in my signature. Sounds quite wonderful.

Simple enough question really - which is better for movies? The sub/sat system or the full range?

I need to buy a new package for my dedicated (but small) AV room (4m (l)x3m (w)x 2m(h)). I've worked out a Xenon package consisting of some new and ex-demo/display units, Xenon SR26 (pair), KX-12 and Xenon LCR26x3 for approx £1150 or with Xenon LCR36x3 for £1640. This compares with a Silver package new for about £1400-£1500 in the sales?

What works best in my room size and as an overall AV package?
Had monitor audio silver series a few years ago in my room 16'x14' they could get a bit boomy. In a room your size mate the m&ks with a svs sb12 and you will be in movie heaven, in my opinion it would blow the monitor audio package away much more detail and better dynamics.
Andy.

Had monitor audio silver series a few years ago in my room 16'x14' they could get a bit boomy. In a room your size mate the m&ks with a svs sb12 and you will be in movie heaven, in my opinion it would blow the monitor audio package away much more detail and better dynamics.
Andy.

I'm surprised at that, especially in a room that size. I recently changed my speakers because my previous hi-fi speakers were boomy - I've had no problems like that since.

Thanks to both of you. I was set on the M&Ks until one of the sales guys raised the whole MA Silver. His opinion was that he pips the M&Ks. Unfortunately I can only demo the silvers as there are no M&Ks to be demoed anywhere in the NW as far as I can tell.

Dave964 - what is your ceiling height btw? As my room is a converted cellar with only 2m height then I am a bit concerned about possible boominess. Tbh I have no idea how this room will work in regards to acoustics.

Hi
Deadmeat for movies in a room with your constraints the m&ks will sound fantastic, The reason i brought the m&ks was that they were unfussy as to placement they are made for home cinema and as i said before with a good sub untouchable. After having owned m&k for quite some time hifi speakers always seem to sound soft and lack dynamics with movies.
Iam sure if you asked someone off the forums with an m&k setup they would let you have a listen including me.
PS did the shop selling the ma system have any m&k to sell i think not.
Andy.

lol - they did but only ex-dem! Still makes them all that bit more affordable :D

if you are purely after a cinema setup, then the M&K's will most likely be the way to go.....if however you intend on using the system for music as well, then its definitely worth taking your time to consider.....MA's Silvers make very good movie speakers as they are clear and defined, but they also produce music very well too whereas the M&K's will be slightly weaker in that respect....not by a lot tho.....

ask if you can borrow a set of MA Silvers from the shop to do a home demo....if you have problems with boom, then dont buy, simple.....look for an alternative, if you can get a M&K demo and they dont boom, keep them, if they do, dont buy them.....or if you cant get a demo, buy them and sell them if they dont work out, M&K keep a good second hand value....

Another problem i had with the silvers was volume sometimes they would crack which isnt surprising at the volumes i listen to but the m&ks can go very loud and you will never get them to boom,
Andy.

I think with my ex-dem purchases buying the M&Ks and reselling if neccessary maybe a feasible option. My AV room isn't quite ready yet so it maybe a few weeks before I can really know but I may see if I can get a home MA silver demo when it is. Shame its so hard to demo stuff :confused: but I never like to dismiss any possibilities :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom