1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K Xenon Speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by megson, May 15, 2003.

1. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I'm looking for a quality sub sat system and I am interested in the M&K Xenon system. Has anyone heard it and is it any good.

Thanks in advance

Megson

2. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the S85's and can whole heartedly recommend them if you're into clarity and realism (who isn't?). I've never heard the Xenon's but there is review here...
    Good luck!

3. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not a review but I did listen to them in Brandsmart USA a few months ago.

For such a tiny speaker IMO they sound like very very good, like a "regular" size speaker. It was in a demo room and I was frankly amazed at the sound. Need to ensure (probably) that you have a good sub

Dave

4. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks for the info. All sounds a bit encouraging but I've just got to find somewhere to get a demo!! Will have to persuade the wife to let me fly to the USA and hope that the dealer hasn't just sold the last set of tripole rears!!

Megson

5. DEO

DEO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Demo? Try Frank Harvey HiFi Excellence in Coventry (if you live nearby)

Dave

6. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Thanks, I will give them a try.

Regards

Megson

7. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Have you thought about listening to the K series speakers too. I am in the process of completing my setup and I think they are great, I don't know how they compare to the xenons though..You have to give them all listen ultimately to decide which fits your ear and your wallet:eek:

Most people on these boards seem to go with the S85 M&K's and above but they were out of my reach financially.

good luck. let us know how the xenon's sound to you if you get a demo.

btw I have dropped you a pm

8. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I would be very interested to hear how the new 850's sound, as i think they're a replacement for the S85's.

Adzman

9. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me too. I'm not sure if it's the 850s or the 650s which are replacing the S85s, but it would be interesting to listen to them both on a side-by-side comparison.

I personally can't see there being much of an improvement over the S85s apart from maybe aesthetically (wood veneers etc.). You forget how good they sound until you watch a new movie and then they impress/surprise you all over again with their realism, dynamics and clarity! :smashin:

They're not cheap, but I doubt I'll be upgrading for a good few years yet, and even then I'd buy M&K everytime. I'm surprised everyone hasn't got a set! :D

Good luck with whatever you get...

SMP

10. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just wondering where you got your S85's from or where you demoed them Spidermanpants. I am not far from you...just over the border into cheshire..I can't think of a shop in Stoke that does M&K or am I wrong?

Lennyz

11. megson

megson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I have been told that the S85's have been discontinued. Are they better than the K series speakers or just more suitable to bigger rooms? I have a reasonable sized room but not "big".

Advice/opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Megson

12. SpiderManPants

SpiderManPants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My last post seems to have disappeared, I can't think why! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the nearest M&K dealer to Stoke-on-Trent as far as I am aware is the HI-Fi Showrooms in Congleton. However, this is not where I got my S85s from, mine were from a shop in London called Infidelity and I bought their last ex-dem set at a very good price. :D

I'm not sure about the size difference between the S85s and the K series, but I seem to remember someone pointing out the fact that where the S85s might improve over the Ks was with music. (Actually, it might have been my new friend Ian J who said this).:rotfl:

If any of you live near to, or fancy a trip to Stoke-on-Trent, you're quite welcome to pop-in for a listen. I have them partnered with a Denon 3801 and a Rotel RMB-1075 as they need good amplification, otherwise they sound a little harsh imho and I would suggest the Rotel as a minimum in terms of the power they require.

SMP

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The K series are the M&K budget range (budget by M&K standards) and the S85 was the smallest speaker in the non budget range which has now been superceded by the much better looking 650

I haven't heard the 650 but can't believe that M&K would replace the S85 with something inferior so assume that it will carry on their excellent traditions and will be suitable for all but the largest of rooms.

I would agree with what my good buddy SpiderManPants has said about amplification as M&K speakers aren't the easiest to drive and quality amplification is necessary for them to give of their best. I use a Denon AVC10SE which may not have the latest bells and whistles but is still top quality amplification.

14. shoalin kid

shoalin kid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the M+K 750 set up with tri pole surround 55s as rear backs , i have heard the the new package i think its the 850s the fronts are the same i think. but its the rear tower things that are new .ive heard they are nt that good seperate speakers sound better ,but they dont sound to bad with multi channel music,but who listens to that not me yet anyway

15. Anodyne

Anodyne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    The new 850's are an upgrade from the 750's according to M&K's website. The Column Surrounds aren't specific to the series but work very well with them. I have a set and they are an excellent solution for awkward room layouts. The upward firing drivers diffuse the sound suprisingly well.

16. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i live in chesire also, i got my m&k stuff from 7oaks in manchester, they have the 850 system in and also the s85. i am not sure that m&k have discontinued the 85 range, its still on their website as current, its worth checking because they are great speakers!

17. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Megson, you have a pm:)