1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&k whit cheap receiver?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NoNic2, Nov 11, 2003.

1. NoNic2

NoNic2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone
    I was wondering is it ok to match demanding M&K speakers like LCR850 or K-series K-17 whit budget receiver like Marantz5300? I know they impedence goes down to 3.3ohms so how will Marantz deal whit it? I dont wont to spend more then 400-500£ on receiver and Marantz looks good for the money but can they drive M&k speak. well? One dillema I have is about crossover, many people say that setting crossover at 80hz will make best HT results but will that make sound little bass-less whit bass coming only from subwoofer? If 80hz is best setting why buy more expensive floor-standing that goes to 40-50hz at expense of mid-bas, tweeter when you are not going to use it?:confused:

2. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi Nonick2
    Welcome to the forums.At the moment iam running m&k 850s lcr and k4-tripoles with the nad T752 with no problems at all even at very high levels for long periods, having said that the speakers really deserve a lot better amplification which i will get as soon as funds are available.If you do go m&k i suggest for 500 quid the nadT752 would be the only choice as other amps at that price would struggle to drive them at high volumes for any length of time
    Cheers Gonzo..

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    M&K speakers are satellites in the sense that they only produce useable output to around 80Hz, then roll off dramatically. They are not floorstanders in the sense that you are thinking, they do not produce output in the 40-50Hz region (+/-3db anyway).

I have the M&K 750's driven by my Denon KAVCA1SE and the crossover is set to THX 80Hz. Sounds great, and there certainly is no lack of bass, the speakers are designed to crossover at this level...

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi carl
    I think what Nonick means is why do other people buy big floorstanders and still cross them over at 80 hz.Most people agree that setting all speakers to small crossed over at 80 hz everything under going to the sub is what sounds best.What happens is that the speakers and amp are less strained so the signal produced is less prone to distortion and sounds alot cleaner the sub with its built in amp then produces all the sound under 80hz.A good sub will be invisible ie it will sound like the bass is being produced by the speakers this is whats called good intergration.
    Hope this explains it.
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The T752 is currently £399 at Audio-T. JFYI.

MuFu.

6. NoNic2

NoNic2
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the posts guys.
    Gonzo, yes that is what I wanted to say. I have 1200£ right now and really want HT. I plan to buy everything somewhere in the middle of the next year till I save enought money. I never heard NAD receiver and never really consider them, mostly because it was rated last in August 2001 issue of HCC( NAD T 751) but now I must give it a try. I heard they are good for music. I will probably go whit M&k whit sub Velo CHT 15 or I would like SVS 20-39pc+ more but I am little scared sub coming from USA. How do you like your K4 tripole? Could they work fine whit something like 2 K5 for 7.1 couse I would like to have option to upgrade in (far) future.