1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K Wall Facing

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by scarty16, Aug 27, 2005.

1. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    I have just bought a M&K 850 and the dealer has told me to face it towards the wall, as M&K design them to do this, is this correct, and if so how far away should it be?

It is in a corner at the moment and faces one of the 2 walls at 4 inches.

Cheers

Simon

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,025
  3. kbfern

kbfern
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,950
    I don't know what M&K recomend I am sure IanJ will be along soon with some advice as he has M&K speakers and I am sure he will know the answer.But whatever the recomendation is you should use your ears(and spl meter),try both ways and see what sounds better in your room.

Placement and positioning of most subs is trial and error and small changes in placement can make huge differences.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,025
    Hello Keith

If you read the question it asked did M&K recommend you fire the 850 sub 'at' your wall - I would have thought if that statement was true then the user manual would have confirmed it or not.

IanJ may have M&K loudspeakers though that does not necessarily mean Ian has any experience of the V-850 - or are all M&K speakers created equal? I hope not!!!

As you say an SPL meter, a test disc and lots of time trying out various positions will deliver the optimum result in any room - though I very much doubt the 'fire it at the wall' position will be the best option.

Best regards

Joe

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know alot of people do use this method and find it works very well, saying that though i have always had my MX350 driver faceing towards the listening position with excellent results too.
    Every room is different so therefore i would experiment and try to find what gives the best results in you're room and when happy leave it there :thumbsup:

Edit : BTW i did have an M&K V851 sub and in my room found that it worked well with the driver again faceing the listening position, excellent sub aswell...

6. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i think the MX series of m&k subs should be setup facing a wall. They are vented in this fashion and irc work best like this. I had a vx100 which was a cracking little sub but then i moved house and it got lost in the much larger room :(

7. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, i have spoke to a few people and they have told me the same....

8. scarty16

scarty16

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +300
    thks everyone, I think I will start the experiments tonight, in the words of john Hooker, boom boom boom boom

9. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

The MX700 and MX5100 (new) has been designed specifically with their 'Backfire Technology' as it increases the pressure on the cone when the drivers are against the wall. From now, every new M&K sub will be designed this way so I've been told!!!

I wouldn't take the dealers word as gosple, although not untrue, but, as previously stated in this thread, you should experiment with placement and orientation as every room is different.

Regards