M&K VX860 or SVS PB-10

guitar

Standard Member
I want to replace my old sub and have narrowed my search to the M&K VX860 and the SVS PB-10. I can get them for the same price, around $450US. I have not seen any review for the VX860. The PB-10, on the other hand, has received many great reviews. There are some differences between them:

VX860:

250W Amp
45lbs
Sealed
12'' driver

PB-10:

300W Amp
60lbs
Ported
10'' driver

I do not know what these differences mean in actual performance. Please help me choose one. Thank you very much.

Ian J

Banned
guitar said:
I do not know what these differences mean in actual performance.
The differences don't actually mean anything in terms of performance but much more to the marketing department.

The problem with reading subwoofer specs is that they make no allowance for the design of the sub itself or the quality of components that have gone into it's manufacture.

The budget end of hifi retail is full of 12" subs with large amps at cheap prices and they will never perform well as the drivers and amps are of a poor standard.

I have owned the PB-10 and it is an exceptional sub at an exceptional price in the UK. I haven't heard the M&K offering and whilst they have their fans over here they do tend to be over priced compared to the cost in USA.

Helicon

Banned
I own a VX-760 (soon to be a KX-12) which is a fantastic sub for the money, i'm still amazed at what it's capable of for it's size. The 850 is a larger version of this.

Compared to the US, the M&K subs are a little overpriced. The importer has to pay charges based on their weight, which isn't light. They are also very well packed, adding to their shipping weight. But even at the prices they are, they're still competitive, and much better than most at the same prices. Under £600, and above £2k, i'm not sure what i'd buy, but within that price range, my money would go to M&K every time (until i get proven otherwise).

mhuk05

I would imagine the importer fills a container and pays a set transport fee (probably less than $2000) for a 40ft. container. They'll buy at cost (probably less than 50% of retail). Import duty will be about 15-20% of the cost.

Were you suggesting we feel sorry for a retailer? ;) :eek:

:D

Helicon

Banned
Nope, just making it clear that the importer, along with paying the fees that come with importing, also need to make a living in order to continue to distribute the product. If anyone in the manufacturer/distributor/retailer chain isn't making enough money, it's bad news for the customers wishing to buy those products.

We can only speculate as to what the shipping costs and import fees are, but the more money the distributor makes, the better the backup service/advertising/show demonstrations/staff training/point of sale. And they can keep more of the product in stock so there's less waiting times. Not to mention the myriad other things i probably have no idea about!

Ian J

Banned
Helicon said:
We can only speculate as to what the shipping costs and import fees are,
We can do more than speculate as we know that import duties on a subwoofer are 4% with Vat at 15% on top of that. Naturally I'm not privy to what the UK distributor pays for shipping but the erstwhile purchasing director of Richer Sounds did claim in a post here three years ago that it cost about £15 per Servo 15 when shipping a container load.

mhuk05

A container from HK to USA costs ~$2000 USD, as it does from China to the UK. You can get plenty of boxes in a container ;)

I'm not knocking distributors/ shops making money but neither do I feel sorry for them :D

Helicon

Banned
Gecko have imported M&K for at least 13/14 years (as far as i know), and have provided an excellent back up service over that period. That costs money, especially with a warranty service like M&K's, Along with all the other stuff that goes with distributing a brand. They believe in the ability of the brand to do the job it's designed for. If they didn't, they'd sell it cheaper, or not bother at all.

Gecko and M&K making some money benefits the customer and the product in the long run.

Ian J

Banned
Helicon said:
They believe in the ability of the brand to do the job it's designed for. If they didn't, they'd sell it cheaper, or not bother at all.
That's a fine idea that could also be used for every other importer and manufacturer in the business but there are a few of us dotted around this forum that have M&K speakers that have chosen to use another make of sub.

"Gecko making some money" benefits Gecko far more than it does the customer and I guess is why they control the prices that they allow their products to be sold at over here.

Don't get me wrong, I like M&K products but I don't worship blindly at their altar and in the UK there are better subs to be had for the £1,600 price of the MX-350 for starters and I would guess that the same applies to the £1,000 asked for the VX860 that is the subject of this thread.

Helicon

Banned
Ian J said:
Don't get me wrong, I like M&K products but I don't worship blindly at their altar
Nor myself, as you'll see in post #3

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom