1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K VX100 questions

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bigbadmuller, Feb 2, 2005.

1. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone! :hiya:

I'm considering the purchase of an M&K VX100 sub as i've found one in good nick second hand for £500.

I use my setup principally for music production and I want to supplement my AVI Biggatrons with a decent sub. Getting basslines mixed right on the biggatrons is a very hit and miss affair due to their rapid tailing off around 50/60 hz.

But....

a) I use a Bryston B60 which has no dedicated sub output. Would the only option be to disconnect the pre/power connectors, replace them with two y-splitters and connect L/R plugs to the amp and the other two to the sub?
    Would this adversely affect sound quality?

b) should i be looking at different brands/models of sub at this price?

c) should i just save my cash, trade in my biggatrons and buy a pair of beefier PMC/ATC monitors?

if anyone can help me i'd be over the moon. :)

2. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    just a quick bump in case anyone has any bright ideas :thumbsup:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If your priority is music I would suggest at the £500 price limit, looking at a second hand REL Storm as it is much more flexible in terms of connection options and the high level speaker connections via a Neutrik connector will be much more suitable for you.

4. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks for that Ian. Hmm the plot thickens. :)

I've seen a second hand Storm 5 for about 650 ex-dem. They're pretty chunky going by dimensions/pictures etc though. My room is slightly odd shaped and not very large ( very roughly 6 by 6m ), might a storm be too oomphy? I considered the VX100 purely cos it was well regarded, easy to tuck away in a corner and not too pricey, at least 2nd hand.

I tend to work on music at fairly low-ish volumes to help prevent ear fatigue (I use the AVi Biggatron's as near-field monitors so they're quite clsoe together (3-4 feet) and i'm only just over 4 feet away from them...), will something like the Storm still deliver the goods at moderate to low volumes, and with a siting relaitvely close to where i'm sitting? I don't want neighbour killing volume, just accurate bass down to 20hz or near enough. :thumbsup:

apologies for all the questions!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I haven't hear the Storm 5 although I hope to rectify that at the Bristol show later this month. I have had both the original Storm and the later mark 3 version and they are ideal for music as they have the necessary finesse that is often lacking from the more home cinema optimized subs.

They will work perfectly in the situation that you describe.

6. bigbadmuller

bigbadmuller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    lovely stuff. :clap:

Many thanks for your advice Ian, it's most appreciated. Now to start the second hand/ex dem hunt. :)