1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K VS Velodyne!! Shootout

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by AV Wizard, Aug 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AV Wizard

AV Wizard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have just finished an exhaustive shootout at my local dealer for a sub under a grand. Having used as much DVD and music material as I could, for me the new M&K subs walked it especially on speed and control. Playing the gunfight on Kevin Costners Open range in DTS was amazing. Apparently these two new subs from M&K even surprised the dealer when he first heard them and considering they're only £700 or £1000 a steal! They even held they're own against the more expensive digital velodynes. Guess you can't argue with the guys who invented Subwoofer design!

2. danny daniell

danny daniell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    What were the exact models you tested please?

3. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dan - By the sounds of it he must mean the new VX760 & VX860 but i do not see how they could compete with the Velodyne DD series as my new DD12 outperforms the MX350 quite easily :eek: just so much more effortless in it's delivery.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If only :rolleyes:

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That makes it even worse then ;)

6. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    If only I'd only found a sub which made me happy for under £1000 before I spent nearly 3K!:rotfl:

7. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    Who is this madhead ?
    He doesn't go into much detail into the "exhaustive shootout", his post reads like an add to me.

8. binbag

binbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    I often used to be 'amazed' at the ability of stuff I was selling if I thought the punter would swallow it. It's called salesmanship and is only an effective measure of how quickly he could get the cash out of your pocket.

It's obvious that you're really pleased with your purchase so he's done right by you. However your enthusiasm is affecting your objectivity and round here there is always someone (or several someones) who know a lot better - after all thats why we visit - and they will give you the benefit of their experience for the greater good.

If you keep this 'M&K are the bestest ever' thing going much longer we won't be laughing with you...

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    As stated here and on another thread M&K subs are the best around apparently, so surely it would be nice for a more detailed description to what makes them better than everything else.

Madbasshead, are these thoughts your own or was it in fact the salesman doing what they are trained to do and telling you you were buying the best thing since sliced bread?
    There is often a big thing on here called sub loyality, or loyalty to any other kit for that matter, where people convince themselves that thir new purchase is so worthy that nothing else on the market can come close. It is great to be happy at our purchase otherwise it's money down the drain. You do have to put things in to perspective though, and realize that what pay pay for kit is all relative to performance generally, and there is usually always someone who's got more cash than you (or larger debt) and is able to purchase something bigger and better.
    I own a Velodyne DD15 and while I may have raved on about it I have not once said that it is the best subwoofer in the world, because I know given the full wad in my wallet I would change it in a flash for something on the next rung up the ladder. The realization particularly hit home quite recently when I had the pleasure of a high end demo which involved a dual DD18 setup, and my own setup as not sounded the same since!

The moral is be careful what you say on here.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I'd have to agree that the so-called "shootout" is long on hyperbole and very short on detail.

Which subs were used as comparisons for the M&Ks,and even which M&Ks were tested havent been listed...makes for a fairly useless comparison currently.

11. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,451
    I have to admire the politeness and restraint shown with reference to the posts being discussed. It just shows what a nice bunch visit these forums :)

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    madbasshead - are you going to complete the "shootout" details or were you just trolling :confused:

13. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we have seen the last of madbasshead :hiya:

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sadly it looks as if you may be right as he hasn't logged in since he registered and posted his half dozen pro M&K posts including such gems as advising someone to "make sure that the crossovers are 130hz", "nothing comes close to the M&K VX860 at a grand" and "Skywalker is still using M&K heavily and recently installed a new suite to use for episode three"

This thread is the most interesting though as not only is it a glowing tribute to M&K subwoofers but at the expense of the Velodyne DD range which cost must more and if I was a cynic I would have thought that it was troll trying to provoke an argument over the comparative merits of M&K and Velodyne DD subwoofers.

According to his IP address he was posting from a broadband address in the Swindon area - I wonder who that could be then :rotfl:

15. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Should we knock this one on the head? :rolleyes:

Nimby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.