m&k vs Artcoustic

iamimpossible

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm stuck between a choice of m&k iw150 (times 3) fronts then iw95 for the back (times 4)
These will be the new ones just announced that are enclosed from the back.
VS

Artcoustic spitfire SL 2-4 (times 3) for the fronts and sl2-1 (times 4) for the back
With these i wont have to put holes into the walls.

Has anyone got real world experience with these?

I'm aware these are compromised by their enclosure and if you think they will be little difference with any in-walls and may be just go for atmos and cheaper speakers for better sound please let me know.

Last edited:
Hello - did you decide on these? I have been considering similar options for a room to be built in November. Curious where you landed on this?

Yes so I went back and had a listen to more of the artcoustic and MK and the MK were far far better, cleaner and go louder. For a fair test listen to them both with the sub's off.

The solution I've gone with is iw150 II's with iw950's
Then I found a place that will do acoustic transparent frames. Which means they are only a few mm's off the wall for the grill. With the option of getting a custom acoustic picture frame to go over them if I want. Less then half the depth of the artcoustic and cheaper.

The on wall MK's are also a better option.

Also the MK's seem to last longer and have better residuals lets say you want to sell in a few years. The artcoustic are more delicate and require more looking after such as chips and scratches.

If I was you I'd buy some MK's now before the end of month as prices will be going up, I hear from a reputable source there after.

Talk to seriouscinema, they are on this forum they should be able to do a good deal.

They are going in this week!! had them 2 months lol

From the picture you can see where the left end right are going in.

Attachments

• 20160623_113923.jpg
    20160623_113923.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 118
Its a shame.... I won't be ready to order by the end of this month.
Looking at PMC for R, L, Centre, still to decide on surrounds and ceiling / atmos speakers. For sound isolation, it looks likely I'll need to go with on-wall options rather than in-wall / in-ceiling.

You must be excited to have your installation going ahead. I'm knee deep in sound isolation / construction planning at the moment. It has become a complicated effort. If only the boss (wife) had agreed to use the separate building at the end of our garden for our cinema instead of a room on the ground floor of the house. :)

Its a shame.... I won't be ready to order by the end of this month.
Looking at PMC for R, L, Centre, still to decide on surrounds and ceiling / atmos speakers. For sound isolation, it looks likely I'll need to go with on-wall options rather than in-wall / in-ceiling.

You must be excited to have your installation going ahead. I'm knee deep in sound isolation / construction planning at the moment. It has become a complicated effort. If only the boss (wife) had agreed to use the separate building at the end of our garden for our cinema instead of a room on the ground floor of the house. :)

Hi Mark,

Let me know if you would like a demonstration.

Regards

Rich

If you want to explore the PMC option further, let me know, as we will have a TwentyFive Series based system in our demo room when the centre is released. Should be extremely promising, as one of the best sounding systems we've ever had in our demo room was the Twenty Series.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom