1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K Upgrade advice please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hektic, Sep 21, 2004.

1. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I hoping someone can point me in the right direction for an upgrade.

My current setup is M&K 1250 sub with M&K K4 tripoles for SR,SL and 2 SB's.

I have AE Evo III fronts and center. I don't really listen to music on my kit and I don't rate the center speaker so I think these are the three things I'd like to replace. I'd like to stick with M&K but I'm not sure what will suit my existing M&K setup best. My budget is about £1500.

Cheers

2. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi hektic,

I have the M&K 851 LCR and i think they are a superb, i'm sure they would sound really good with your existing M&K's and they are about £1500 for the 3 of them, I use the LDM Stands though and that would cost another £450 on top, but i'm sure you could use other stands to go with them ;)

John :)

3. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thx Recruit!

I'll demo what you've sugested :smoke:

I wonder if my 3802 will cope with 7 speakers at 4ohms?!?

btw: You have some setup there matey ! :cool:

How do you rate the Z9?

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Where abouts are you in the midlands as your welcome to listen to my m&k 850s paired with an svs sub.
    Cheers Gonzo. :)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Not very well, especially if you listen at high volumes. The 850s/851s are notorious for being "edgey", and partnered with unsuitable amplification (which the 3802 is on a busy soundtrack), will make that edginess even more pronounced. IMHO of course, as although I've heard the 850s several times, I've never heard them with the 3802, but I understand that the power output of the 3802 drops severely with all channels driven (don't believe the paper spec that Denon claims, basically).

If you want to go M&K then look at the K7s, or much better - hunt down a set of S85s (keep an eye on the classifieds), which are excellent speakers. Still might be difficult for your 3802 to drive though...

6. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Hektic,

I would agree with smurfin in that your 3802 might struggle to power the M&K's, they do like alot of power to drive them.
    My Z9 drives them quite comfortably as there is alot of power in the Yamaha.
    Also the K5's and K7's are excellent speakers for home cinema maybe give them a try.

John :)

7. hektic

hektic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thx guys,

I think I'll have a look around at power amps before buying the speakers.

If I do this I can save up for a processor in the future instead of buying another intergrated.

Thanks for your advice guys.

8. john R1

john R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have been using a 3802 to run my 3 x k17s pair of k4s and 1 x k15 rear centre for over 2 years without any problems at all listerning levels, this is not to say that a better receiver or amp could do them more justice

9. Lennyz

Lennyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have been using my K series setup (3 x K7 and 2 x K4) for 2 years now with an Onkyo 575x. I have wondered how they would sound with better amplification but I am still really happy with the sound they produce.

Maybe when funds allow I will upgrade the amp but it has never had any problems driving the speakers despite the 4ohm rating of the k's.

K series are fantastic sound for the size if a littler pricey ( I imported mine so I could save cash however ) give them a listen with differeent amps and see what you think.

Lennyz

10. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    I notice that a set of M and K S85 speakers have just come up for sale on the classifieds. ('cuscus'). I had a full set of these before 'upgrading' to the S125's, and, quite frankly, there is very liitle difference. The S85's are class!