1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K to B&W - worth the upgrade?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Brad_Porter, Jul 29, 2002.

1. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a question from my asteemed colleague at work. He has thought about upgrading his HT system and since he has noticed me purchasing an M&K system, he now wants to move to B&W's! He thinks!

He wishes to know is it really worth upgrading from his M&K system (S-85's, K4, REL Stadium III) and going the whole hog to B&W's - as below.

NAUTILUS - 805 Fronts
    NAUTILUS - HTM1 Center
    NAUTILUS - SCM1 Rears
    REL Stadium III (keeping from old system)

I he loves the sound of the M&K's, but just wonders if the B&W are super better for the price.

So, M&K or B&W? Lads.........please disect.:)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    If you tell him that it's worth while you can then buy his system from him.

:D

3. Brad_Porter

Brad_Porter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Already thought of that, Ian. However, he has promised his daughter and son-in-law the 'hand-me-downs'

Geeez. I wish I was his son-in-law.

I suppose thats always possible ...... :D

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Brad,

I've been toying with a speaker upgrade ever since Gordon's event last summer ! Spookily it was B&W Nautilus vs M&K that I've spent ages considering.

I've listened to the M&K 150's (with 350 sub) compared to the Nautilus series (802's to 805's).

It's all down to personal taste but since you asked I think there is an astonishing difference in sound quality.

The detail, soundstage, authority and grip of the Nautilus stuff is just amazing. In comparison I found the 150s to be a bit rough and ragged - great for action movies but poor with music and subtlety.

That doesn't mean M&K speakers are no good. It's also unfair to compare the M&K's with the loftier Nautili - there's a wee price difference.

But. If you have the dosh and the choice I'd go with the Nautilus.

Cheers
    Gary

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that says it all. I've gone the other way around and have gone from B&W to M&K. I had the CDM1T's together with the CDM centre and always thought they sounded too vague for my taste. I now have M&K S85's all round and am stunned by their clarity each time they come alive. For me, its a total transformation.

I've also heard many of the Nautilus range including the 805 and feel these also have the same sort of character. I feel Uncle Eric put forward very valid points recently regarding speakers being "voiced" for percieved tastes. Since the penny dropped, I've realized that the best sounding speakers are those with little or no character at all.

I often visit my who brother who works in a recording studio and am spellbound by the clarity of the speakers used there. They are the 2510 (I think) speakers and have attack and clarity like no B&W I've heard. I now have a HGS15 sub coming and will when funds permit upgrade to something in the MPS range.