M&K thoughts/advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mrapbp, Mar 27, 2006.

1. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Guys,

I auditioned the following speaker serup on Friday and wanted to know your thoughts, does anyone have this or a smilisar setup?

Is there anything else I shoould be looking at this price? (setup wiull be about £3000.

Front: - 3 x Xenon LCR 36

Rear - 2 x Surround 55

Sub - VX860

They sounded superb to me but wanted to see what you guys thought (and is there anything else at this price or lower) before spending a large wedge!!

Cheers!!

2. AngelEyes

AngelEyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,635
    Xenons are somewhat unique because of their size. I don't think you will find anything that performs this well for movies that is this small for a similiar price.

If size is not an option then I am sure you will get many other suggestions in your price range. One comment I have heard is that the subs are somewhat over priced for their performance, you could look at something from BK or SVS for better bang for the buck. And don't worry that a non M&K sub won't sound right with your speakers as this is not true at all. Subs have very little tonal character.

I have read comments that M&K are not as musical as some but it does seem to be an often repeated comment and I would suggest you audition other systems and make your own mind up...

3. Helicon

Helicon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    You said it yourself! They sound superb to you!! That's what's most important. What anybody else thinks after that summing up is almost irrelevant. You can try hi-fi speaker packages, but they just don't compare to the presentation of the M&K's.

Musically it's personal preference. Mine sound fine for music and i have no real issues with them as they were designed for films. One day i will get purchase a hi-fi system again, but until then, i'm happy.

If you go for a non M&K sub for the Xenon's, just make sure it's performance above the 80-90Hz point is up to scratch. The Xenon's ultimate performance, as with other M&K's, will be affected by the sub chosen.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Do you have size constraints or are you only talking "lifestyle" when asking for other speaker systems to compare it with and is it just for movie watching or will you be listening to music too.

5. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    They do need to be wall mountable (current floor standers are just to damn big) and I wont listen to any music at all.

Talking to the guy in the store (someone who I have known for quite a while and is a fairly knowledable guy) he said that the sub sat type packages are better than floor standing setups as they have been desgined with Movies in mind (especially the M&K's!).

I know that it is all down to personal taste and that if I love them then that is enough etc. Just that before I spend £3k on some speakers (which I think is quite a lot!) just wanted to see if there was anything else I should be looking. Also always nice to speak to people who are actually living with them for a more 'at home' type review.

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    M&K
    Speakers to my ears are the best for the money out there (movie speakers) they are very dynamic extremely detailed and can go very loud without distortion.Paired with my svs films are fantastic as helicon says a good sub is required to get the best out of them.Also consider what amplification you are going to use as m&ks are very power hungry.