M&K SW-85 inwall speakers

FilmWatcher

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I'm new to AVforums so bear with me. I have read all the articles on SW-85s as I am in the process of upgrading my system and want to go to a 7.1 and use DVD-Audio/SACD (currently only 5.1) and get a new DVD Player, Receiver and speakers as my current kit is now a few years old.

The front, left and centre can be full size (I'll probably get M&K) but I need to make the surrounds and rear speakers "disappear" to keep the wife happy.

I have recently ceiling mounted by VW-11HT projector and am now feeling brave enough to try to try something perhaps trickier i.e. install SW-85s in the wall for surrounds and rears.

Before I buy them, I have a few questions on the SW-85s please

1. Are they a major pain to fit on a supporting wall i.e. one that has brick behind the plasterboard? From the dimensions it looks like just cutting into the plasterboard won't be deep enough. Will there be any risk of damp from outside if so?

2. Are these 4ohm speakers OK to use with a receiver - I am thinking of getting the fairly new Pioneer VSX-AX5is?

3. Is there any loss in surround experience having inwall vs "normal" dipole or tripole surrounds?

4. Where's the best place to buy M&K in UK (London/Surrey)

Many thanks

Originally posted by FilmWatcher
1. Are they a major pain to fit on a supporting wall i.e. one that has brick behind the plasterboard? From the dimensions it looks like just cutting into the plasterboard won't be deep enough. Will there be any risk of damp from outside if so?

2. Are these 4ohm speakers OK to use with a receiver - I am thinking of getting the fairly new Pioneer VSX-AX5is?

3. Is there any loss in surround experience having inwall vs "normal" dipole or tripole surrounds?

4. Where's the best place to buy M&K in UK (London/Surrey)

Many thanks
1) M&K's in walls are easiest to use with hollow drywall (plasterboard). I've installed quite a few and can tell you that even though M&K state a 3.6 inch depth, they need at least 4.25 inches of clearance. With each SW-85 speaker, M&K supply you with a piece of plastic backed foam (part of the clever packaging actually) that should stop any minor dampness coming through the wall. You place this in your chase and simply push the speaker so it's internals sit on the foam. These speakers also have bars either side that are meant to slot in and once screwed, will be up tight against the rear of the plaster. You should have a cavity in between your plasterboard and the wall, if the cavity allows, you can use these and simply tighten up the existing screws threaded into the bars. If not, you'll have to screw some 1 x 1" battons into the sides of the cavity, buy new screws deep enough to go through and thread into the battons.

Finally, a word of warning watch the grills. These are held in place by incredibly strong magnets, and (as I once found) can do damage to your fingers as you try to place them over the speaker fronts. They snap in place very suddenly (and firmly) and the serated edges of the metal grills can do some damage. One last thing, if you have a mechanical watch, take it off before going anywhere near this work.
Job done.

2) Best to take advice from Pioneer themselves.

3) Very much depends on the acoustics of the room but normally yes. Di-poles would be more ambient. M&K doesn't do di-poles they have tri-poles instead (SS-150's would sit very well with the SW-85's) which can be used in di-pole "mode" should you wish.
Have to say I prefer tri-pole rather than the cloud of sound most di-poles offer.

4) For your nearest dealer contact
[email protected]

Regards
Eric

Thanks very much Eric. Sounds pretty scary !

Do I understand you to mean that the SS-150s would be superior to the SW-85s? I may use the 150s for left and right surrounds if they're not too big and use the SW-85s for the rear channels (the rear wall is just plasterboard and cavity - no brick). Would they be complementary?

I'm worried on the 4ohm aspect having now found loads of other posts around Pioneer and 4ohm - will look at this in more detail.

Thanks again

Thanks very much Eric. Sounds pretty scary !

Not scary at all. Just take things easy and you can do it without problem.

Do I understand you to mean that the SS-150s would be superior to the SW-85s? I may use the 150s for left and right surrounds if they're not too big and use the SW-85s for the rear channels (the rear wall is just plasterboard and cavity - no brick). Would they be complementary?[/B]
As surrounds yes they are far better in this respect.
They would be a great match and what you suggest would be how I would do it.

I'm worried on the 4ohm aspect having now found loads of other posts around Pioneer and 4ohm - will look at this in more detail.
[/B]

Much of Denon's range seem to handle 4 ohm loads better than Pioneers, some of which can be stretched by 4ohm loads for long periods. I would give Pioneer a ring or better still drop them an email so you have their reply in writing. This way at least you'll have something to fall back on if something does go wrong.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom