1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

M&K SS85 or 850

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Chats, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum but am wondering what people think to my current upgrade dilemma..

Currently have a front set of S85 and K4 dipole rears and VX100 sub.
    Powered by an AX5i (which I now hope is ok having read a couple of threads on 4 ohm issue with M&Ks, wany thoughts).

Decided the sub wasn't meaty enought for me so am currently demoing at home a V850 sub but have been offered a good deal on a full set of 850 with 650 or column rears so am hopefully going to try them this weekend but was wondering what people think to the idea.

My main issue is the room is not a great layout, have got it best I can but I think the main sitting area is too close (i.e. one seat 30cm away and the other 1m away) to the sub.

The rears are mounted on wall mount brackets half way up the wall but again just above my head.

One other thought is I am not sure how good the column or 650 rears are but could I create a 6.1 system with them and whats the best way of going about it with the AX5i ??

Thanks in advance for all your advice... :)

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Without seeing your room in greater detail there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the placement of the rears although they could be mpunted higher if you prefer. I have the same K4 rears and mine are mounted on side walls firing across the seating position.

The sub doesn't seem to be ideally positioned and I suppose that you have a good reason for not putting it somewhere within the front soundstage which would be a better place for it.

I would be interested in your views on the comparison between the S85 and 850 as I have been told that the latter are brighter than the former.

3. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    I auditioned the 750's before buying a set of S85's (although now have the 125's). The 750's were quite a bit brighter than the 85's, which I found better for music.
    Would suppose the 850's to have a similar sound to the 750's.

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chats,

I have the M&K LCR851 Speakers with the CS29 Column surrounds and they sound superb, I have not heard the s85's.
    I was going to buy the 650's for surrounds untill i heard the column's i think they are superb speakers as u simply plonk them on the floor no mounting or fixing to the walls needed, also if space is a bit tight they are ideal as they just sit behind the couch so you cant really notice them :smashin:

I think your pioneer will drive the 850's with no problem's as it is quite a powerfull amp.

These speakers always seem to bring a smile to my face when watching films they give such a dynamic performance.

John :)

5. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    I loved the S85s, perhaps not as strong a mid-range as the 850s but I prefered the overall sound: either are cracking speakers though:)

6. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have just been to my local dealer to pick up some 850s to dem only to find out that the deal is for 650's not 850s :mad:

But the package does come with LRC 650s, V850 sub and SS55 dipole rears, am going to dem the pack against my current LRC S85, K4 rears and VX100 sub and see what it sounds like..

Just to note, the V850 sub has a very nice tight thud when compared with the VX100 (understandable considering the size i suppose) but am going for the pack if they sound better.

If anyone wants to register an interest in any of the above (S85,K4,VX100) then add a post and If I decide the 650 pack is good then they will be up for sale.

Thanks for the reply's so far and have a good weekend all..

7. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi. I might be interested in the LCR s85s you have if you decide to upgrade. What kinda figure did you have in mind?

regards FRANC

8. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Franc,

Well they are in pristine nic, black and the LR come with the matching M&K Low stands so was looking for offers near £900 + post (would retail for £1700).

But have to try these 650s first so drop me a pm and will keep you informed (should know in a couple of weeks at latest).

Cheers BTW

9. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    I'm not convinced the 650s would be an upgrade over the S85s...

10. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah me neither but the package deal with the sub I like makes it worth trying em out to see, I am going to try and be objective but you know what its like when you get new toys :)

Will let you all know my opinion anyways, for what its worth.

11. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,329
    Also consider how "live" your current room is: the 650s will be VERY bright, although they should ease off a bit once they're run in. I have the MPS-1610s (from the M&K pro range), and much preferred the S85s...I could drive them louder without the sound being at all fatigueing.

12. franc

franc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks for the reply but your asking price is far more than I had in mind. They are great speakers and I imagine once you have listened to the alternatives you have mentioned you will find it hard to let them go anyway.

Good luck

regards FRANC

13. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    I have tried a few rear channel speakers and the column surrounds are simply brilliant. If your budget allows go for them without hesitation and forget the K4's which although good are simply not in the same league. I now use B&W Nautilus speakers but the column surrounds still remain firmly in my HC room for rear channel duties.

I think you will find that the 850's are less bright than the 750's. I read somewhere that they have the same tweeter and the S85's but am not 100% certain. They are still quite a bright sounding speaker however and in my sparsely furnished room they tended to get a bit harsh at very high volumes. The 650's are definately not as good as the 850's which are worth the extra ££.

The V850 sub is way overpriced imho. £1200 buys you a lot of thump these days. Have you considered other brands ?

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think the V850 may well be a little expensive but once tuned correctly it does give a very tight,deep & tuneful bass which is impressive.
    Rags have you tried any of the Velodyne DD Range and if so do you have any opinions as i might end up with one very soon, DD12 in particular?

15. Matt F

Matt F

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    My money would be on the S85's, especially in stereo because, unless I'm mistaken, the 850's use the same 'angled out' tweeters that the 750's use. When I had the 750's I simply couldn't get them to image very well in stereo. I demo'd some S85's and they were much better in stereo than the 750's - they sounded much more like proper hifi speakers.

For movies it was much closer - the 750's had the edge in output power but they were on the bright side, the S85's (and 1510's) sounded a lot more natural to me.

I guess what I'm saying - by all means get a better sub but unless you have any serious issues with the S85's then for god's sake keep them.

Matt.

16. Chats

Chats

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all and thanks for the reply.

Yeah I am beginning to think that I will keep the S85s and get the black v1250 sub at around £900 and apparently is identical to the v850 but in black.(any thoughts on this theory)

Now should I change the rears to columns or ss150s. I will probably keep the K4 for a 6.1 setup at a later date.

Have messed around with the S85s today and tried the high power terminals on the LRC. Has anyone tried this as I found them to make the speakers brighter but a lot sharper and detailed..

Cheers

17. Philly112

Philly112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,620
    Have also done this - tend to find the sound just too bright though, and also had more trouble integrating the sub.
    Haven't heard the column surrounds, but people on here rate them very highly.
    The SS150's are superb though and I really have trouble pin pointing them in movie playback. Whether I would cough up list price is another matter (£1200 is an awful lot of dosh for rear speakers), but they come up on the classifieds from time to time.

18. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Philly- did you have S85'S before S125 if so did you find that they need quite a bit more power to hit same volume level. (sorry for hijacking thread and i think you should keep S85 and buy the best sub you can afford)
    Cheers John

19. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323

John,

I have heard DD18 in action - its a very good sub but I decided to go with the B&W ASW850 as I preferred it's bass. Ultimately its a matter of personal taste and I know that for example Samhain of these forums decided to go with a DD15 as he preferred it over the ASW850 (which he also found to be very good). It does cost 50% more though. If you do decide to go with the DD series consider getting a 15" if you can fit one in - not hugely more expensive and will do a better overall job.

The B&W ASW750 costs £1200 and imho having owned two of them it has the beating of the M&K V850 - a lot more punch and tighter bass. I feel the V850 is a good subwoofer but some of the competition offer a bit more for the money.

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags,

Thanks for the response i will consider the DD15 aswell as the DD12, the price difference is not that great, i may also have a listen to the B&W range 750, 800 before i make my decision.

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    John - if you want to hear the ASW850 in action your more than welcome round my house mate.

22. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags,

That would be great i have not heard the 850 before,when ever's convenient with you?

23. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +323
    Lets sort something out via PM.