M&K speakers

steve k

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where i can find some prices out for the M&K speaker range :smashin:

Hi Rags
Noticed on your profile that you have M&K tri poles how do you find these sound in your livingroom listen to a full M&K thx (S-150thx ultra )set up and the guy in the shop suggested i get a set of the tripoles for my room ass am resticted to where i an put the surronds.

Am about to get a Pioneer VSA-AX10i and he suggested i get the M&K S-150thx ultra speakers but i dont know how much these are going to cost , also the speakers are rated at 4 Ohms Pioneer suggest 6 - 8 ohm speaker.

Thanks for your help :hiya:

Steve,

The column surrounds are very good speakers. I bought a pair (CS29), used them for a few months, sold them, tried a few other makes/models, realised I had made a mistake and promptly ordered another pair ! They are pretty versatile and even though they lie on the floor (on supplied stands or screwed into the skirting board) you wont be able to pin point them. Pretty thin too and have a decent complement of drivers (including a 6" cone which is pretty rare for M&K). In my opinion one of M&K's finest products.

The retail price for 3 S150's is about £2,700. I personally wouldnt drive S150's using a Pioneer amp but if you talk to M&k directly they will tell you that it will do just fine (as will even middle of the range models from Denon, Yamaha etc !). I have had the fortune of listening to S150's in my living room and they sounded great to me (a brief demo of speakers fresh out of the box). Much better overall than the 850 series but you should expect them to be. Pig ugly though.

For S150's I would use a power amp - something like a Rotel 1095 or Parasound 2205 minimum - you can go up from there but it all depends on your budget. I used to drive M&K 850's using a Yamaha A2 amp and then bought a secong hand Rotel 1095 from these forums (still using the A2 as a processor). The difference was considerable. Surprising how a sound quality can change so much.

I wanted to buy K7's for the front and K4's for rears but avoided them as I didn't want to put strain on my Pioneer VSX-D2011.
A bit dissapointed really considering the K7's cost about £500 per pair, and I finished up buying Kef KHT 9000's at £500 per speaker!

Thanks mate.
Nothing worse than someone saying it was a bad descision.:)

Originally posted by stevegreen
If you are happy, who cares what anyone else says? ;)
I'm happy with the speakers.
I am however still trying to come to terms with the fact that I spent £1500 on 3 satelites.

What sub you using Stellavision with the Kef KHt 9000's, I heard these speakers at the Bristol show they where using there own sub at the time and the Pioneer AVA-AX10i.

I like the look of these speakers and think the other half will to, as the center speaker would have to sit ontop of the telly.
They did not play any movie clips at the show when i was there so don't know how they sound with DVD movies which will be the main use for my setup.

I am in the prosses of getting the Pioneer amp and am looking for some speakers to go with it the Kef's are rated at 8ohms which is ok for that amp, i dont know if i realy want to run 4 ohm speakers on the amp but have been told the AX10i will cope.

The sub i was looking to use is the Velodyn spl-1200 mkII as this will fit nicley behind the sofa, us married men have to come a compromise with the wife when it comes to speakers and cables :laugh:

Steve, I am using a B&W ASW750.
Integrates nicely with the Kefs.:)
I did look into getting the Kef PSW4000 to go with them, but the B&W appears to be more powerful with greater extension. The Kef and the B&W are the same price but I guessed that part of the Kef cost is possibly justified by the remote control function.
I didn't actually demo the PSW4000 so my thoughts are purely speculation.

But yes, the KHT 9000's are very waf friendly, or they are here anyway.

Thanks 4 that Barrie.
How do these speakers sound wiv movies do u get a good sound stage

My setup is primarily for movies and I find the Kefs do give a very good soundstage.

You can find UK M&K price list here. These are the standard distributor enforced pricing and there is very little discouting between the dealers.

Personally, given very favourable exchange rate between $ and £, and the fact that you are looking for passive speakers, I would seriously consider buying them in US and shipping them here. Total inclusive cost is most likely not to exceed 60% of what you will pay over here.

That's if you can find a dealer willing to ship them...

I spoke to Gecko when I was thinking of getting M&K's.
I think they are the main UK distibutor.
You can phone them on: 020 8603 0480 or email: [email protected]
I spoke to a lady there who was very helpful who emailed me a current brochure in pdf. and an Excel price list.

The M&K speakers are so cheap in the US that it makes sense to fly over there for a week holiday, buy them on the spot, supervise shipping and still save on what it cost to buy them over here.

Consider this offer for pair of new S-150THX for £621 vs. the UK price of £1700.

Add shipment costs, VAT, customs, plane ticket add there is still money left.

If buying a whole 5.1 system, you can buy at least two extra pair of speakers to compensate for the luck of warranty cover (5 S-150THX speakers are £1,553 + costs in the US vs. £4,250 over here). So if any of the speakers develop a fault, just traw them away and use the spare.

Most dealers would not ship them directly, but if you phone them and explain that you are coming personally to buy from them and ask for assistance to organise courier service they'll help.

Same applies to subwoofer, although they will be more costly to ship due to larger weight and size. Consider MX-350 model, US price £742 + costs (here) vs. UK price £2,095.

This surprises even me: PHENOMENAL.

"I spoke to a lady there who was very helpful ..."

Whith this kind of mark up she has every reason !

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
No doubt there is a huge difference in cost between here and the States but the examples quoted above are extremes - you cant compare the list price over here from an authorised dealer to a liquidation seller in the States auctioning on ebay.

I know for the fact and from personal experience that this prices are realistic and readily obtainable in the US.

There are representative of the true cost.

M&K make great sounding speakers. This we know.

M&K in the UK is very expensive, and hardly offers value for money. This we also know.

Pays yer money, takes yer speakers:smoke:

Good point,

Go to the USA and buy a pair of MA S8 speakers or a REL subwoofer and you will find that they are considerably more expensive than they are here, same old story me thinks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom